Spoiler question for those who's RC didn't come with it

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 11:49 AM
jackals
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spoiler question for those who's RC didn't come with it

Hello,

I saw somewhere in a thread that someone bought a spoiler but didn't drill. It was just 3M taped down... I have done this before on an AMG and Bmw 335 car I had... I was wondering if there are others that did this and where did they buy the spoiler from and if it came painted.

On ebay - they are around $250ish painted, and comes with double sided 3M tape. Not sure if people bought it there or elsewhere.
Old 08-10-15, 01:04 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on ebay is a genuine Lexus part that comes painted to match and it matches perfectly. The spoiler comes with the double sided tape already installed and if you want to do tape only then you will need to remove the bolts as they come on the spoiler as well. Do a search here on the forums and you'll find a great thread on it.

You can also buy the spoiler here as well.
http://www.mylparts.com/parts/

I'll also add that you can probably print out the prices and ask your local Lexus dealer to match them. They most likely will...mine does.

JP

Last edited by jeremyp111; 08-10-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 01:28 PM
jackals
Driver

Here are 2 that are not from Lexus:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-and-Up-Painted-Lexus-RC-Factory-Style-Lipmount-Spoiler-/121723854900?fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item1c574ea034&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RC-Coupe-2015-Painted-Factory-Style-Lip-Mount-Rear-Spoiler-Made-in-USA-/121564839426?hash=item1c4dd43e02&vxp=mtr

Do the bolts just come off on the OEM one? Or how difficult is it to remove them if doing tape only?
Old 08-10-15, 02:08 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting them out is easy. Use a heat gun to heat up the bolts and twist them out with a pair of pliers. Nothing to it.

FYI, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the one from Lexus. The paints will match exactly and so will the fit of the spoiler. For that little of a price difference it's not worth taking the risk.
Old 08-10-15, 03:09 PM
JamesEarl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer wanted 380 just for the spoiler. I went to Oem Lexus parts and got the spoiler and the needed kit, shipped for $279.66
Old 08-10-15, 04:10 PM
jackals
Driver

Originally Posted by JamesEarl
My dealer wanted 380 just for the spoiler. I went to Oem Lexus parts and got the spoiler and the needed kit, shipped for $279.66
How hard was the install? Did you use the bolts or just 3M tape it down?

Last edited by jackals; 08-10-15 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 04:57 PM
JamesEarl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jackals
How hard was the install? Did you use the bolts or just 3M tape it down?
The part has yet to arrive, but I will have a friend do it at his shop. The kit looks like it has different springs to accommodate for the weight of the spoiler too, so rather than constantly worrying if spoiler is going to fall off, I'm going to get it done right. That being said, I can't see it taking more than an hour with proper tools. Here's a thread of procedure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...r-install.html
Old 08-10-15, 07:01 PM
FSportMike
Driver School Candidate

I had my spoiler installed on my Ultra White RC this weekend at Lexus of Austin.

Got the car back and noticed some blue discoloration at the edge of the spoiler (on the trunk) and a few other areas as well as some scratches that weren't present before - car has ~700 miles and I've had it less than a month. Not sure what happened while they had it or if while washing it afterwards, someone spilled a chemical on it, no idea, but fortunately the Service Manager said that he'll have it all taken care of. I'm a bit worried about them sanding it down and repainting, especially since the car is leased, but I was told that it wouldn't affect anything. I noticed it when I tried to remove the blue outline/stain and realized that the spray detailer I typically use (clear) immediately turned blue on the trunk, which was the first red flag.

Longest I've been without her I figured that having it done by the dealer would be the safest route, but was clearly proven wrong...

Last edited by FSportMike; 08-10-15 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 08-10-15, 07:19 PM
JamesEarl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoyMikeJon
I had my spoiler installed on my Ultra White RC this weekend at Lexus of Austin.

Got the car back and noticed some blue discoloration at the edge of the spoiler (on the trunk) and a few other areas as well as some scratches that weren't present before - car has ~700 miles and I've had it less than a month. Not sure what happened while they had it or if while washing it afterwards, someone spilled a chemical on it, no idea, but fortunately the Service Manager said that he'll have it all taken care of. I'm a bit worried about them sanding it down and repainting, especially since the car is leased, but I was told that it wouldn't affect anything. I noticed it when I tried to remove the blue outline/stain and realized that the spray detailer I typically use (clear) immediately turned blue on the trunk, which was the first red flag.

Longest I've been without her I figured that having it done by the dealer would be the safest route, but was clearly proven wrong...
Ouch. At least dealer is going to take care of you. The shop that tinted my windows scratched up my backseat console, but they did the right thing and paid for replacement. I had to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive from Japan since there wasn't any in the U.S.

If you don't mind me asking, what did dealer charge you and what is the dealer name? If it's reasonable I'm going to try to get mine to match price.

Thanks
Old 08-10-15, 07:29 PM
FSportMike
Driver School Candidate

Ouch. At least dealer is going to take care of you. The shop that tinted my windows scratched up my backseat console, but they did the right thing and paid for replacement. I had to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive from Japan since there wasn't any in the U.S.

If you don't mind me asking, what did dealer charge you and what is the dealer name? If it's reasonable I'm going to try to get mine to match price.

Thanks
Ouch, that's rough and way tougher to spot since you likely rarely look back there... I got in the backseat to clean the rear window and was impressed with how anyone could do any work with that little room. The access to the window is awful!

Total for labor and install from Lexus of Austin was right around $505 and some change. I used a 10% accessory coupon that is included on each mirror hang tag when you bring it in for servicing. Saved me about $35 off of the spoiler itself (not labor), but hey, a discount is a discount!
Old 08-10-15, 07:36 PM
JamesEarl
Driver School Candidate

Ouch, that's rough and way tougher to spot since you likely rarely look back there... I got in the backseat to clean the rear window and was impressed with how anyone could do any work with that little room. The access to the window is awful!

Total for labor and install from Lexus of Austin was right around $505 and some change. I used a 10% accessory coupon that is included on each mirror hang tag when you bring it in for servicing. Saved me about $35 off of the spoiler itself (not labor), but hey, a discount is a discount!
Does $505 include the parts...I hope?
Old 08-10-15, 07:37 PM
FSportMike
Driver School Candidate

Does $505 include the parts...I hope?
Yep, total parts & labor.
Old 08-10-15, 07:47 PM
JamesEarl
Driver School Candidate

Yep, total parts & labor.
That's not bad. Think I'm going to have Lexus do it now.
Old 08-10-15, 09:22 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi I also had my spoiler installed and I got the dealer to match the price of the OEM parts listed on eBay and then they charged me for labor so with everything including tax it came out to be $464. It took them about 50 minutes to install it and it was drilled because I found metal shavings in my truck. it was perfect there was not a scratch on my car and everything was to my satisfaction I really think it makes a big difference in how the car looks also
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler question for those who's RC didn't come with it-image.jpg  
Old 08-11-15, 12:44 PM
rwickens
Driver School Candidate

Pictures??

Quick Reply: Spoiler question for those who's RC didn't come with it