RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 06:55 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation stupid question

My stupid question is how do you make phone calls while the car is in motion if the phone book is disabled? Is dialing the number itself or via voice commands the only way? On my ES were "Speed Dials" which could be accessed. In short, are there speed dials, or if not, any way to access the phone book while in motion other than with voice commands??

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-14-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 07:18 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm using an iPhone 5S, and when I pair it through Bluetooth (with sync contact switched on), I use the voice command by calling out the name of the person I want to call. "Call....mobile"
Old 07-14-15, 07:26 PM
Ecarp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program remote

Stupid question. How do you post a question? New user with a 2012 is250c
and can't figure out how to program the remote to a genie door opener.
HELP
Ecarp
Old 07-14-15, 07:32 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
I'm using an iPhone 5S, and when I pair it through Bluetooth (with sync contact switched on), I use the voice command by calling out the name of the person I want to call. "Call....mobile"
Thank you, just not my question.

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-14-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 12:12 AM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Originally Posted by Canesguy
My stupid question is how do you make phone calls while the car is in motion if the phone book is disabled? Is dialing the number itself or via voice commands the only way? On my ES were "Speed Dials" which could be accessed. In short, are there speed dials, or if not, any way to access the phone book while in motion other than with voice commands??
The SPEED DIAL numbers are called FAVORITES in the RC350. See p.349 and following of the Navi System user guide. Up to 15 contacts (4 numbers per contact) can be stored as Favorites. They are accessed on the first tab of the Phone screen and can be dialed when the car is in motion.
Old 07-15-15, 07:59 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nightcrawl
The SPEED DIAL numbers are called FAVORITES in the RC350. See p.349 and following of the Navi System user guide. Up to 15 contacts (4 numbers per contact) can be stored as Favorites. They are accessed on the first tab of the Phone screen and can be dialed when the car is in motion.
That's what I thought, but I couldn't figure out how to get into the screen to program them....guess I've got to read the user guide . Thanks!

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-15-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-15-15, 01:53 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

That's what I thought, but I couldn't figure out how to get into the screen to program them....guess I've got to read the user guide . Thanks!
On your CONTACTS page, you will notice a gray star to the left of each name. Simply click on this star to change it to yellow and it will then be on your FAVORITES tab. Easy. If you fill up all 15 positions but keep adding new ones, the older ones will drop off as required.
Old 07-15-15, 04:15 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

On your CONTACTS page, you will notice a gray star to the left of each name. Simply click on this star to change it to yellow and it will then be on your FAVORITES tab. Easy. If you fill up all 15 positions but keep adding new ones, the older ones will drop off as required.
Thanks, appreciate the info. .
Old 07-15-15, 05:34 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I've provided links to two threads so you can download the NAV and Owner's Manual in a PDF, which makes searching so much easier.

This is for the NAV Manual: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...rom-lexus.html

This is for the Owner's Manual: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...rom-lexus.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited by GearHead69; 07-15-15 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-16-15, 07:42 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Got the Favorites loaded. Two things I'm not fond of comparing this set-up to my ES. One is that there was room for 18 Speed dials vs 15 Favorites. More importantly, the Speed Dials only needed one push to start the call. The favorites require two separate actions to start the call. Oh well, at least it is accessible while the car is in motion. There are always some trade-offs.

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-16-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 02:01 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Got the Favorites loaded. Two things I'm not fond of comparing this set-up to my ES. One is that there was room for 18 Speed dials vs 15 Favorites. More importantly, the Speed Dials only needed one push to start the call. The favorites require two separate actions to start the call. Oh well, at least it is accessible while the car is in motion. There are always some trade-offs.
I agree that the two-action process is a pain, but given how easy it is to click on the wrong item with the trackpad while the car is in motion, it's probably a good idea to force the user to confirm the choice before dialing.
Old 07-16-15, 08:21 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

I agree that the two-action process is a pain, but given how easy it is to click on the wrong item with the trackpad while the car is in motion, it's probably a good idea to force the user to confirm the choice before dialing.

What I can't understand is why they wouldn't give full access to the complete phonebook. Is it safer to just have 15 items available while in motion? I think it is actually less safe, as you'll end up looking for an entry that may not be present on the truncated Favorites list, and be more distracted from driving.
Old 07-17-15, 01:52 AM
Nightcrawl
Driver

What I can't understand is why they wouldn't give full access to the complete phonebook. Is it safer to just have 15 items available while in motion? I think it is actually less safe, as you'll end up looking for an entry that may not be present on the truncated Favorites list, and be more distracted from driving.
I think it's a reasonable compromise. You still have voice recognition for the rest of the numbers - mine is close to 100% accurate even though I have all the contacts slots filled up (I think it maxes out at 1,000). My contacts only go up to W as I ran out of room. Haven't had time to fix this problem yet.