RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Dealer Installer Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 02:38 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
When I take mine in I ask them to only clean the rims and tires and NEVER, EVER wash the car. I like the idea about the 4x3 card. I'll use that next time.
The rims are clear coated, just like your paint. They will still have micro-marring from terrible quality brushes and towels. There have been reports of using non- PH balanced wheel and tire cleaners on this forum as well that ended in complete wheel re-finishes.

Like many, I put up signs (yes, plural) anytime I take any of my cars to the dealership.
Old 07-08-15, 04:35 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
If your detailer knows what he is doing, even with a new car direct from the dealership, he will wash off any wax and remove any fillers with a detergent (Dawn is the best for home use) and clay the car to remove the rail dust. At this point he can see if you have the DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option), and he can fix that. Otherwise he will do whatever surface prep is needed before installing the film or the Opticoat, both of which need to be installed over bare paint.
The AutoGeek links above are helpful in pointing out that wax with fillers, applied by most dealers, fill the swirls and other paint defects, hiding them from the customer until the wax is washed off or wears off, which usually takes a few weeks. Don't let the dealer fix this, as clearly his staff does not have the experience and training necessary to cure the problem it caused.
This is like covering a rash with makeup. You need the paint doctor.
Yeah, I'm going to make sure my detailer does this before I put an Xpel clear bra on my RC. I will also try to post the before and after of the swirl marks when it's done.

Last edited by ZAM; 07-08-15 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 05:34 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

My dealer also owns an LF-A (yellow) and a 1952 Mercedes Gullwing fully restored that won Best In Class at Pebble Beach a few years ago (and that's a very big deal). I have seen the LF-A at the dealership being detailed, but still I would not have my swell new RC run through their car washing machine.
The owner of the dealership knows about such things, and I would think that most do, but dealerships just can't afford to have an experienced detailer on staff to prep every car that goes out the door, especially as so few of us know the difference. I recall a few years ago the lady across the street was washing her new car, and she had the bucket sitting on the hood so she would not have to bend over to rinse out the sponge. Some people just don't care.