RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Dealer Installer Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 01:42 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealer Installer Swirls

Anyone else get dealer installed swirls on your new RC. I have a couple on my hood, and I plan on taking it to an actually professional detailer this week for paint correction.
Old 07-07-15, 01:50 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a common occurrence when a new car is "detailed" prior to delivery or even during a common service wash. Dealerships aren't professional detailers. They do not use the 2/3 bucket wash method and often use the same low quality drying cloth for multiple cars at a time. Also, they often use glazes to hide scratches/swirls prior to delivery only for the new owner to discover the true carnage a few washes later.

In the future, decline dealership courtesy washes and detail jobs.
Old 07-07-15, 02:01 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Very true and it's a shame that a premium car dealer would do this. I will now have to pay hundreds to correct their mistakes.
Old 07-07-15, 02:33 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you had the vehicle? Did you inquire with the dealer as to if they were willing to correct their mistake? Before doling out $$ I would certainly check into it.
Old 07-07-15, 02:53 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

I picked it up a little less than a month ago. I noticed it a week after in my garage and was just gonna take it to a professional. Dealerships could care less about you once you sign the paper...

Last edited by ZAM; 07-07-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-07-15, 02:59 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
This is a common occurrence when a new car is "detailed" prior to delivery or even during a common service wash. Dealerships aren't professional detailers. They do not use the 2/3 bucket wash method and often use the same low quality drying cloth for multiple cars at a time. Also, they often use glazes to hide scratches/swirls prior to delivery only for the new owner to discover the true carnage a few washes later.

In the future, decline dealership courtesy washes and detail jobs.
That!
Old 07-07-15, 05:30 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those guys don't care. There are so many cars that they have to keep clean on a daily basis for show, delivery etc. that they aren't exactly gentle with them.

I'll never forget this past spring I was driving by my Lexus dealership and all this pollen was stuck on the new cars in their front lot. This guy was walking around rapidly wiping all the pollen off the hoods, doors, etc. with a DRY TOWEL!!!!!!!!

Its one of the most horrific things I've ever seen.
Old 07-07-15, 06:22 PM
KashFSport
Driver School Candidate

Found out that my dealer actually has the old skool rotary nylon bristle brush car wash that they drive thru as i had to pic the brush threads off the headlight washer . Eek no more complimentary car washes for me
Old 07-07-15, 07:26 PM
user420
Driver

My dealer (only one within 200 miles) has the same old rotary bristle brush setup. Also noticed one of the detail guys washing a new GS 350 with a long handle bristle brush. Feel sorry for the owner of that one. The day after I picked up my ES 350 I detailed it myself by doing the following:

Wash, clay, wash, polish, sealant. My dual action polisher came in handy with the two coats of polish and sealant. Took me an entire weekend. Will never let the dealership wash mine again.
Old 07-07-15, 11:28 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Funny thing is that my dealer has two LFAs...
Old 07-08-15, 07:13 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

At most dealerships, the guy charged with washing cars and dusting off the inventory is usually the lowest paid, most inexperienced kid who is just there to make a few bucks helping to clean up. There is never any reason to think he will know how to correctly protect automotive paint surfaces, nor is there any reason ever to have a car dealership wash your car.
This has always been the case. If buying new, be sure to tell your salesman and everyone else you come into contact with not to wash or wax the car because you are taking it right to a detailer's place for Xpel or Opticoat or something like that. Some buyers ask to take delivery of the car with the shipping plastic still on the vehicle.
Always avoid the routine car wash. I have a little 4x6 sign made up that says "Please do not wash this car today" and I place it conspicuously on the dash whenever I bring my cars in for service; I had previously always instructed "no wash" when bringing in the car, but it's so routine at the dealership that often the lower level car transport people don't get that message and run it through the wash as a matter of routine.
They just want to help, but they just don't understand.
Old 07-08-15, 10:14 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

For every car that I've ordered or took delivery of, the first thing I request is not to wash or detail it no matter how dirty the car is. If I'm paying for a new car, I expect the paint to be new too! As soon as I take delivery I get it professionally detailed and throw a good protective coat to ensure the paint will stay flawless.

After paint correction, your car should be sparkling again!

-Josh
Old 07-08-15, 11:06 AM
coldsoda
Rookie

As others have mentioned, it is all too common to have scratches and swirls on a brand new car the dealer got their hands on.

Here is an interesting read about dealer swirls and how to identify them here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...rl-option.html

Since it seems its too late to ask them NOT to wash it, here is a great article to read through on how to remove these on your own for those reading this thread and wanting to tackle this kind of job:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

Even if you choose to have a detail professional take care of the job, I still recommend skimming through the article so you know what is involved in doing it properly so you know what to expect. Good luck with the new car, post some before and after pictures when you get it cleaned up!
Old 07-08-15, 11:27 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

If your detailer knows what he is doing, even with a new car direct from the dealership, he will wash off any wax and remove any fillers with a detergent (Dawn is the best for home use) and clay the car to remove the rail dust. At this point he can see if you have the DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option), and he can fix that. Otherwise he will do whatever surface prep is needed before installing the film or the Opticoat, both of which need to be installed over bare paint.
The AutoGeek links above are helpful in pointing out that wax with fillers, applied by most dealers, fill the swirls and other paint defects, hiding them from the customer until the wax is washed off or wears off, which usually takes a few weeks. Don't let the dealer fix this, as clearly his staff does not have the experience and training necessary to cure the problem it caused.
This is like covering a rash with makeup. You need the paint doctor.
Old 07-08-15, 02:30 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

When I take mine in I ask them to only clean the rims and tires and NEVER, EVER wash the car. I like the idea about the 4x3 card. I'll use that next time.

Quick Reply: Dealer Installer Swirls