RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 03:51 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Key Fob

Anyone know how to get the key out of the fob? Mine won't come out!
Old 07-05-15, 05:51 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't there a release you push and hold down from the side of the key fob and pull the key out, which comes out from the bottom?
Old 07-05-15, 05:52 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2015 RC Manual (P. 590)

To take out the mechanical key, push
the release button and take the key out.
The mechanical key can only be
inserted in one direction, as the key only
has grooves on one side. If the key cannot
be inserted in a lock cylinder, turn it
over and re-attempt to insert it.
After using the mechanical key, store it
in the electronic key. Carry the mechanical
key together with the electronic key.
If the electronic key battery is depleted
or the entry function does not operate
properly, you will need the mechanical
key. (P. 590)
Old 07-05-15, 06:01 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah I discovered the unleash button after I took off the key glove lol.
Old 07-05-15, 11:57 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Its friggin lame you cant get to the release button with the key glove on. My IS remote has the switch on top so you can pull the key out with the glove still snug over the remote. Weird...
Old 07-06-15, 05:25 AM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Its friggin lame you cant get to the release button with the key glove on. My IS remote has the switch on top so you can pull the key out with the glove still snug over the remote. Weird...
Really? How often would you need to use the mechanical key? I never once needed it in 7 years of ownership of an IS250.
Old 07-06-15, 06:12 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

The problem with making a seldom used task convoluted and difficult is that when you need to do it, you forget how. As I read through my manual about the key, I found that, even with the directions in front of me, it's difficult to do. I practiced a few times, but two years from now, when I need to get that key out for some reason, I'm sure I'll forget how. What was so wrong with a square key for the ignition and a round key for the trunk?
Old 07-06-15, 12:32 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
The problem with making a seldom used task convoluted and difficult is that when you need to do it, you forget how. As I read through my manual about the key, I found that, even with the directions in front of me, it's difficult to do. I practiced a few times, but two years from now, when I need to get that key out for some reason, I'm sure I'll forget how. What was so wrong with a square key for the ignition and a round key for the trunk?
It's called progress I think.
Old 07-07-15, 02:03 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nightcrawl
Really? How often would you need to use the mechanical key? I never once needed it in 7 years of ownership of an IS250.
I use it to lock my glove box and give my key fob to the valet or car wash people without giving them all dmy keys. You don't do this?
Old 07-07-15, 06:47 AM
tfischer

I don't think we do. I have locked a glove box in my car perhaps 3 times in the past 20 years, and I didn't have to. What do you keep in your glove box - expensive gloves?
Old 07-07-15, 02:26 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
I use it to lock my glove box and give my key fob to the valet or car wash people without giving them all dmy keys. You don't do this?
No, I never have. All I keep in the glove box is the user manual and a few CDs. You can lock any valuables in the boot/trunk without the key.
Old 07-08-15, 09:22 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nightcrawl
No, I never have. All I keep in the glove box is the user manual and a few CDs. You can lock any valuables in the boot/trunk without the key.
Haha, what good is locking valuables inside the trunk when the valet has access to the key and switch to get inside of it? In your glove box is a button to disengage the trunk so it wont open regardless if you hit the trunk button on the fob or to the left of the steering wheel. You hit the button, lock the glove box and bam! Locked trunk. I trust no one.
Old 07-08-15, 09:24 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfischer
I don't think we do. I have locked a glove box in my car perhaps 3 times in the past 20 years, and I didn't have to. What do you keep in your glove box - expensive gloves?
Lets just say items of a sensitive nature to my job. I don't want to have to pre plan my visit to the car wash or valet parking my car and unload my personal stuff.
Old 07-08-15, 09:37 AM
tfischer

OK, 10 lex. That and expensive gloves are two good reasons to use the manual key.
While we are on the subject, I found that the user manuals take up almost all the room in there and are seldom used. I moved and secured them in a corner of the trunk to make more room for my gloves and other things I like to keep handy (V-1). For those with an iPad (isn't that everybody here), the manuals are available as PDF downloads, which saves lots of room for those who travel with an iPad all the time. Pilots are doing this with all their documents, why shouldn't we try the same thing?
Old 07-08-15, 10:43 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Yeah I ditched the owners encyclopedia to the trunk awhile ago. Taking up valuable real estate. I have a roadside kit in a bag, so all those manuals went in there too. Its a small bag that tucks into the corner.

Quick Reply: Key Fob