RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

F-Sport Wheel / Tire Durability

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 09:42 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation F-Sport Wheel / Tire Durability

Hello all. Just picked up a UW / RR RC F-Sport yesterday. It is my first car with 19" and the dealer was pretty adamant that the wheel and tire protection is an "optional necessity" for this car. This is a 2-year lease and my driving habit is under 10k miles per year. I live in NNJ where the roads can be quite bad sometimes, however, I have only ever incurred curb rash on the right wheels only on my past few leases and a nail or two. I'm not sure if it's worth shelling the $995 for the tire and wheel protection or just be ready to pay out of pocket per occurrence. Wheel rash repair as $150 and I don't think I would expect to repair rims 6 times in two years or even blow out a tire and always watch the road ahead of me.

The only way it would be worthwhile is if the 19" rims are more prone to marks / pitting / blemishes from road debris or shallow pot holes where I would need to regularly have the wheels refinished (seasonally).

In consideration, would you opt for the wheel and tire protection or pass? Is it "worth" the peace of mind? Thanks!

Last edited by FUZCO; 06-27-15 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 01:37 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Anyone? Advice appreciated!
Old 06-27-15, 03:11 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't opt for that coverage, but I got the excess wear coverage. I don't think the tire/wheel coverage is worth it unless you know for sure you will damage the wheels.
In 2 years you will not need new tires. The only thing to be concerned about is curbing the wheels beyond what Lexus states:

5-6: Tires, Wheels and Wheel Covers
• Tires with exposed cords or sidewall damage
• Tires or wheels that do not meet manufacturer’s guidelines for safe operation
• Missing or damaged wheel covers
• Wheel gouges greater than 1"

https://lexusfinancial.com/pub/stati...ear---use.html
Old 06-28-15, 08:19 AM
KashFSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Hello all. Just picked up a UW / RR RC F-Sport yesterday. It is my first car with 19" and the dealer was pretty adamant that the wheel and tire protection is an "optional necessity" for this car. This is a 2-year lease and my driving habit is under 10k miles per year. I live in NNJ where the roads can be quite bad sometimes, however, I have only ever incurred curb rash on the right wheels only on my past few leases and a nail or two. I'm not sure if it's worth shelling the $995 for the tire and wheel protection or just be ready to pay out of pocket per occurrence. Wheel rash repair as $150 and I don't think I would expect to repair rims 6 times in two years or even blow out a tire and always watch the road ahead of me.

The only way it would be worthwhile is if the 19" rims are more prone to marks / pitting / blemishes from road debris or shallow pot holes where I would need to regularly have the wheels refinished (seasonally).

In consideration, would you opt for the wheel and tire protection or pass? Is it "worth" the peace of mind? Thanks!

I opted out as there was the fine print that stated certain conditions which would make it hard for you to get full coverage. This protection is Pro-Rated which means you still have to pay when using the service. My 2 cents
Old 06-28-15, 12:26 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KashFSport
I opted out as there was the fine print that stated certain conditions which would make it hard for you to get full coverage. This protection is Pro-Rated which means you still have to pay when using the service. My 2 cents
Really? The finance manager told me everything is covered from cosmetics to bent rims and new new tires at no cost. I even confirmed. I may just see how it goes with the 19's this time and can opt out if my next lease has 19" and I wound up not using it much this time.
Old 06-29-15, 01:24 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Anyone else add the tire and wheel protection for their lease?
Old 06-29-15, 05:44 PM
Fsportf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Anyone else add the tire and wheel protection for their lease?
I am in NNJ as well. I got the tire n wheel
It was an extra 10$ a month so it didnt bother me.

Already curb road rashed three tires bc of pot holes and one bc of cops while trying to get out of their way.

Just dont buy coffee for 5 days in the month and thats ur wheel ins
Old 06-30-15, 09:08 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fsportf
I am in NNJ as well. I got the tire n wheel
It was an extra 10$ a month so it didnt bother me.

Already curb road rashed three tires bc of pot holes and one bc of cops while trying to get out of their way.

Just dont buy coffee for 5 days in the month and thats ur wheel ins
Did you purchase or lease? What did you pay for the wheel and tire protection?