RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Questions about RC (and maintenance)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 11:23 AM
SigmonC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I agree, not such thing as "Free" anything. You're paying for it one way or the other.

No tire rotation of the F-Sport since they have staggered wheels. Have Lexus do the oil changes as it is good for trade in or selling it yourself. Want to save more then do some of the maintenance yourself like changing out the Air Filter and Cabin air filter when it is supposed to be done. Don't worry Lexus will tell you when it's due.
As for staggered wheels I believe the awd F Sport models have the same size at each corner. I be wrong though.
Old 06-18-15, 12:06 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SigmonC
As for staggered wheels I believe the awd F Sport models have the same size at each corner. I be wrong though.
You are correct as I checked the Lexus site, only the RWD F-Sports have staggered wheels.
Old 06-18-15, 06:43 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus does a maintenance every 5K to keep an eye on the tires etc. The light services are on the fives and the synthetic oil changes are on the tens. The exception is the RC-F which uses 5W-30 and gets changed on the fives. As was mentioned above BMW collects the servicing cost in the MSRP but to be fair includes brakes which are usually a maintenance item. The first two services on the RC350 are included. The 15k is about $100 and the 20k is a little over $200. The 25k is back to $100 again. The 30k is the most expensive at close to $400. These costs are still less than what you will pay BMW in the sales price. Lexus IS the most reliable of all brands so it is hard to argue with their intervals.

If you are performance oriented at all the F Sport offers the upgraded adaptive shock damping and steering assist damping in Sport plus mode. If you do not need AWD you will get the 8 speed that is embedded with artificial intelligence to keep you in the proper gear when cornering. The large tachometer with motorized sliding bezel is LFA like. The seats have more side bolstering. The grille looks boss in mesh. The F Sport wheels are legit. The RC350's body is even sleeker than the RC-F.

The BMW 435i has more performance in acceleration. The ironic thing about these sport coupes is that they are very calm to drive at 100 MPH. Unless you can buy some track time there will be few opportunities to run them up to their potential. They are both confidence inspiring and fun to drive. The Ultrasonic blue is a show stopper in the bright sun and might get the nod for eye appeal. The RC350 makes a nice sound when you get it above 4500 RPM's. I like the Mark Levinson audio system but they are hard to find on the lot. Either way enjoy your new car!
Old 06-18-15, 10:44 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Which model/year BMW are you coming from? I've had the F-Sport seats (like below) now for 2 months and they hold me in place MUCH better than my brothers E92 as well as his previous E46's. IMO the interior of the new RC is one of its best features. It feels like a cockpit, where everything is wrapped around the driver.

2013 3 series, MSport.

Love the seat design, but the materials are.... subpar. Specifically optioned for leather and it feels like plastic its so rough . ultimate 1st world problem. But it really even feels worse than the MB tex in a family members car..... sigh.

I like the idea of a cockpit . And ventilated seats (not available in 3 series) sound AMAZING in hot so-cal days so I don't sweat up a shirt on the way.
Old 06-18-15, 10:47 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SigmonC
here are some pics to show the difference in stitching the playa is an rc the black is an f sport

RC 350

RC 350 F Sport
Thank you!

I like the F-Sport seat design more, but might prefer having leather.

But a side by side of the seat designs is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
Old 06-18-15, 10:59 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
I have an RC with just about all the options (Flaxen interior, shown in the photo above), and much prefer it to the F-Sport for appearance, and if you are as superficial as me, then this is the way to go. As for your other big concern, there is no such thing as "free maintenance." There is a thing called pre-paid maintenance - this is a mandatory option with some manufacturers that they do not separately itemize, but you do pay for it. ("Free maintenance" is a self-contradictory expression, much like "mandatory option.")
This makes sense but my mind is still weary.

I guess I have this irrational fear that something will go wrong with the car and if it doesn't have a superb (BMW grade) warranty, I will get screwed over $ wise.

I say BMW grade because plenty has gone wrong with my car, and everything was taken care of for literally $0

1) Rear tail light fell out within first 3 months
2) AC failed (would randomly shut off on the freeway and not turn back on till the car came to a complete stop) 1.5 years into the lease.
3) Gas cap system failed (the locking pin that holds the door close failed and the door just stayed popped open for a week)
4) somehow a plastic tab under the steering column (within the dash) broke and caused an incessant rattle.

All in a car that is a little less than two years old, and only has 11800 miles......

IF things like this happened in a Lexus, who would be on the hook for it?

Otherwise, I completely understand that things like an oil change and filter replacement are already built into the price of the car. I dont mind paying for those (preferably paying for it all upfront and rolling it into the lease .
Old 06-18-15, 11:09 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockville
Lexus does a maintenance every 5K to keep an eye on the tires etc. The light services are on the fives and the synthetic oil changes are on the tens. The exception is the RC-F which uses 5W-30 and gets changed on the fives. As was mentioned above BMW collects the servicing cost in the MSRP but to be fair includes brakes which are usually a maintenance item. The first two services on the RC350 are included. The 15k is about $100 and the 20k is a little over $200. The 25k is back to $100 again. The 30k is the most expensive at close to $400. These costs are still less than what you will pay BMW in the sales price. Lexus IS the most reliable of all brands so it is hard to argue with their intervals.

If you are performance oriented at all the F Sport offers the upgraded adaptive shock damping and steering assist damping in Sport plus mode. If you do not need AWD you will get the 8 speed that is embedded with artificial intelligence to keep you in the proper gear when cornering. The large tachometer with motorized sliding bezel is LFA like. The seats have more side bolstering. The grille looks boss in mesh. The F Sport wheels are legit. The RC350's body is even sleeker than the RC-F.

The BMW 435i has more performance in acceleration. The ironic thing about these sport coupes is that they are very calm to drive at 100 MPH. Unless you can buy some track time there will be few opportunities to run them up to their potential. They are both confidence inspiring and fun to drive. The Ultrasonic blue is a show stopper in the bright sun and might get the nod for eye appeal. The RC350 makes a nice sound when you get it above 4500 RPM's. I like the Mark Levinson audio system but they are hard to find on the lot. Either way enjoy your new car!
Wow, exactly the information I was looking for!

Thank you so much!

Considering I have a year left on my lease, but only average 7k a year, it looks like a RC would only cost me $300 (finishing 3 years at a little over 20k) and I find that downright cheap

I love the concept of the 435, but find no practicality in it.

I want my next car to be a practical luxury coupe. Enough performance that I can have fun on the onramps and twisty curves, luxury that I can enjoy a serene ride when I want to (monday morning traffic commutes). With a beautiful interior, crafted from great materials.

I am not big into features like BSM and cruise control, self-parking, etc. But I do require Nav and would love an upgraded audio package.

RC sounds pretty sweet .

Sounds like I will need to test F-Sport and regular back to back to see which is best for me.

Again, thank you!

And thank you to everyone who has so far commented, so many of you have posted so much information, and I really do appreciate it greatly.

On a final note, my GF decided she wants a Lexus and will likely be getting an IS 250 or 350 this coming December, thanks in part to this forum. I showed here the IS deals thread and the car is much more affordable than she originally thought.
Old 06-19-15, 01:13 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I say BMW grade because plenty has gone wrong with my car, and everything was taken care of for literally $0[/B]

2) AC failed (would randomly shut off on the freeway and not turn back on till the car came to a complete stop) 1.5 years into the lease.
3) Gas cap system failed (the locking pin that holds the door close failed and the door just stayed popped open for a week)
4) somehow a plastic tab under the steering column (within the dash) broke and caused an incessant rattle.

All in a car that is a little less than two years old, and only has 11800 miles......

All the stuff you mentioned are things that would be covered under warranty, so if something were to happen like mentioned, it would be covered due to poor workmanship. Lexus warranty is as good or better than BMW warranty.

"Otherwise, I completely understand that things like an oil change and filter replacement are already built into the price of the car. I dont mind paying for those (preferably paying for it all upfront and rolling it into the lease ."

But why would you want to pay for services that you'd never use. Its basically throwing your money away since you don't drive much.
Old 06-20-15, 01:57 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
I say BMW grade because plenty has gone wrong with my car, and everything was taken care of for literally $0[/B]

All the stuff you mentioned are things that would be covered under warranty, so if something were to happen like mentioned, it would be covered due to poor workmanship. Lexus warranty is as good or better than BMW warranty.

"Otherwise, I completely understand that things like an oil change and filter replacement are already built into the price of the car. I dont mind paying for those (preferably paying for it all upfront and rolling it into the lease ."

But why would you want to pay for services that you'd never use. Its basically throwing your money away since you don't drive much.
Actually thats a good point and I got a bit lost in my excitement.

Would need to do a quick analysis to see whether the discount in pre-purchasing maintenance offsets the likelihood of me reaching the mileage for most expensive services.

Aka with Mercedes and the GLK in my household, it was cheaper to pre-pay for 4 years of maintenance than it was to pay as you go for 3 years (assuming all work performed by dealer). Considering that car was paid in cash, and we are keeping it for 7-8 years, it was a no brainer to pre-pay :P.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread! I have bookmarked it so I can come back to it and re-read as I get closer to lease end.
Old 06-20-15, 03:35 PM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My decision was made in part of the color options available. No think the usb 2.0 exterior is a great color and the playa/black interior is a good mix of sport/luxury. You can't really go wrong if you choose what best appeals to you. Car advice is like haircut advice, opinions are great but it's still your head.
Old 06-20-15, 03:46 PM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FleeingFox
Actually thats a good point and I got a bit lost in my excitement.

Would need to do a quick analysis to see whether the discount in pre-purchasing maintenance offsets the likelihood of me reaching the mileage for most expensive services.

Aka with Mercedes and the GLK in my household, it was cheaper to pre-pay for 4 years of maintenance than it was to pay as you go for 3 years (assuming all work performed by dealer). Considering that car was paid in cash, and we are keeping it for 7-8 years, it was a no brainer to pre-pay :P.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread! I have bookmarked it so I can come back to it and re-read as I get closer to lease end.
I am in the luxury car world and yes . You pay for everything one way or another.specifically with MB, prepaid maintenance is the best way go. If you ever plan to use that dealership again, Servicing there will give you clout in your return. And depending on the manufacturer , warranty claims can be denied if "scheduled service" is not performed. Not be by them Necessarily but needs proof of completion.

Also, you can't expect to pay $50 oil changes as a Honda would have on a Lexus , or any "premium" brand. I can tell you "just an oil change" at a luxury German brand is approx $250.

Nicer toys cost more to play with.

Bmw, although faster acceleration, feels like every other bmw. Today's bmw drives like one from 10 years ago. Audi looks are getting old to me and feel a redesign for the line is near. Also, German offers much less features and accessories than their Lexus counterpart.

Just my opinion .

I love my rc
Old 06-22-15, 01:22 AM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCdriver
I am in the luxury car world and yes . You pay for everything one way or another.specifically with MB, prepaid maintenance is the best way go. If you ever plan to use that dealership again, Servicing there will give you clout in your return. And depending on the manufacturer , warranty claims can be denied if "scheduled service" is not performed. Not be by them Necessarily but needs proof of completion.

Also, you can't expect to pay $50 oil changes as a Honda would have on a Lexus , or any "premium" brand. I can tell you "just an oil change" at a luxury German brand is approx $250.

Nicer toys cost more to play with.

Bmw, although faster acceleration, feels like every other bmw. Today's bmw drives like one from 10 years ago. Audi looks are getting old to me and feel a redesign for the line is near. Also, German offers much less features and accessories than their Lexus counterpart.

Just my opinion .

I love my rc
Nice pics!

I agree (so far) in thinking that RC presents a great combo of Sport and Luxury.

Personally, I will always drive a red car. Infrared looks AWESOME on the RC.

Though Blue Mica + Red seats would also be a killer combo.
Old 06-22-15, 07:26 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I'll be posting pics of my Ultrasonic Blue/ Red Interior when it arrives. Currently scheduled to arrive around August/Sept. at the latest. The way it's been looking, I might be the only one on these forums that is getting that color combo. It'll also be fully loaded with all options for RWD. Very much looking forward to it. Longer wait for such a custom car, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Originally Posted by FleeingFox
Nice pics!

I agree (so far) in thinking that RC presents a great combo of Sport and Luxury.

Personally, I will always drive a red car. Infrared looks AWESOME on the RC.

Though Blue Mica + Red seats would also be a killer combo.
Old 06-22-15, 10:29 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cjschober
I'll be posting pics of my Ultrasonic Blue/ Red Interior when it arrives. Currently scheduled to arrive around August/Sept. at the latest. The way it's been looking, I might be the only one on these forums that is getting that color combo. It'll also be fully loaded with all options for RWD. Very much looking forward to it. Longer wait for such a custom car, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Seen the combo on an RCF and it does look stunning. The best exterior on the RC combined with the best interior color.
Old 06-22-15, 10:40 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Seen the combo on an RCF and it does look stunning. The best exterior on the RC combined with the best interior color.
That's what I think too. But other than a posting for an RC-F in that combo for sale in Dubai, I've yet to see anyone who has a 350 F-Sport in that combo. So, it's definitely worth it for me to have a good looking unique car. I hate seeing the same crap over and over. My wife was afraid that it would look "patriotic". But from what I've seen, it just looks really sporty and less luxury.

Quick Reply: Questions about RC (and maintenance)