RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 10:14 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install

I got it all installed and it was not bad at all. The total install should take about 1 hour to do. I also shot a video showing what I did and it should make it easier to install for all those a bit nervous about it.

One thing I was wrong about was the connector end being water proof as it is not. How I solved the issue was to take some Black RTV, and put it into the connector ends where the wires go into the connector. DO NOT PUT RTV into the end that goes into the TVS module, only where the wires go into the connector. This is shown in the video.

On the mounting brackets there is a single and double bracket. The double bracket goes towards the engine on both sides.

Here is a link to the DIY Install Video.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0005.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0011.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0013.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0017.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0020.jpg  

Old 06-16-15, 10:16 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Default Additional Pics

Additional Pics.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0039.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0040.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0035.jpg   DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install-img_0037.jpg  
Old 03-13-16, 12:27 PM
chikindadd
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Great video on the how-to. Thanks for taking the time to video the process. I see you live in AZ. Me too. I'm in Goodyear which is the west valley. When I get my RC back from the body shop maybe we can go cruise.
Old 03-14-16, 12:32 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by chikindadd
Great video on the how-to. Thanks for taking the time to video the process. I see you live in AZ. Me too. I'm in Goodyear which is the west valley. When I get my RC back from the body shop maybe we can go cruise.
Your welcome. I'm in Gilbert, AZ. What's you car in the body shop for? Have you ever been to Tortilla Flats? It's a great cruise with lots of twisty turns, one lane bridges, and great scenery of mountains and the lake. A couple of times you don't even see the road, just sky when doing a hair pin turn. Let me know.
Old 03-14-16, 03:00 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Notice any difference in driving?
Old 03-14-16, 06:00 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Your welcome. I'm in Gilbert, AZ. What's you car in the body shop for? Have you ever been to Tortilla Flats? It's a great cruise with lots of twisty turns, one lane bridges, and great scenery of mountains and the lake. A couple of times you don't even see the road, just sky when doing a hair pin turn. Let me know.
His car is in the shop due to the sand storm, it is the infra red that was poorly done by a private shop, and is now stripped and getting repainted.
Old 03-14-16, 07:22 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by SRC350F
His car is in the shop due to the sand storm, it is the infra red that was poorly done by a private shop, and is now stripped and getting repainted.
Ouch. Sand storms here are a PITA.
Old 03-14-16, 07:24 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
Notice any difference in driving?
Yes. When going into a turn at a higher rate of speed the car does not have as much body roll like it did without it. Also, when pulling into the driveway at an angle I don't hear any noises like I did before.
Old 03-15-16, 10:50 AM
chikindadd
Rookie

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Originally it was in the shop for paint repair due to sand damage. The first shop (Gerber Collision & Glass) really screwed up so now it's at Penske Automotive for rework to correct the mistakes from the first shop. I am crossing my fingers that I get my car back by March 25th.

I've actually ridden the road to Tortilla Flats many times on both two wheels and four wheels. Unless they repaved it, there is a stretch that is really bumpy.
Old 03-15-16, 10:51 AM
chikindadd
Rookie

Originally Posted by SRC350F
Thanks for relaying my sad story. Hahaha.
Old 03-15-16, 01:45 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by chikindadd
Originally it was in the shop for paint repair due to sand damage. The first shop (Gerber Collision & Glass) really screwed up so now it's at Penske Automotive for rework to correct the mistakes from the first shop. I am crossing my fingers that I get my car back by March 25th.

I've actually ridden the road to Tortilla Flats many times on both two wheels and four wheels. Unless they repaved it, there is a stretch that is really bumpy.
I've been out there within the last year and the road is smooth until you get past Tortilla Flats. I hope everything works out great for you as paint matching is an art that is hard to do.
Old 03-15-16, 06:07 PM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious.
Do you think the engine cover can be removed and reinstalled with the brace in place?
Old 03-15-16, 06:19 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

So you would like to have the bar go under the cover? or just completely removed the cover
Old 03-15-16, 06:25 PM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry for the confusion.
If I needed to remove the engine cover with the brace installed.
Is there enough wiggle room to do so without removing the bar?
I may never have to do that, but was just curious if it could be done.
Old 03-15-16, 06:27 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Oh no, thank you for the clarification . Will have to wait for GearHead as I do not want to make accusations.

Quick Reply: DIY: Tanabe Tower Strut Tower Brace Install