RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Ventilated Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 09:57 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 48 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
ventilated seat problems

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Elizabeth Salazar) 09/14/2015 07:31 AM
Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. However, this is not a known issue we are aware of for our ventilated seats. Please rest assured that we have documented your concerns at Lexus National Headquarters for management visibility.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987 and choose option #3, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., or Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Salazar
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
This is the reply I got from Lexus. So now they're aware. I emailed them this thread and that youtube video.
Old 09-14-15, 10:31 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

So the RC has seat cooling problem? I'm going to test drive one in a few days, does this heating up happen all the time? I plan to get one but now I'll be testing this feature first.
Old 09-14-15, 01:25 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
So the RC has seat cooling problem? I'm going to test drive one in a few days, does this heating up happen all the time? I plan to get one but now I'll be testing this feature first.
It happens all the time as shown in the video I posted, and it is one band of the seat back. It is about 15 degrees warmer then the band directly below it.
Old 09-14-15, 01:46 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GearHead69
It happens all the time as shown in the video I posted, and it is one band of the seat back. It is about 15 degrees warmer then the band directly below it.
Do u think the heating element is turned on with the fan on that one band? Or is it just simply doesn't get the airflow like the rest of the bands? Like it's blocked on the inside?

Cause if it happens to both seats and almost every RCs (or all), I don't think it's a faulty unit, maybe it was designed that way?

The GS has big bands/sections and maybe the airflow is better than the IS/RC seats with small bands.

Old 09-14-15, 02:28 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Do u think the heating element is turned on with the fan on that one band? Or is it just simply doesn't get the airflow like the rest of the bands? Like it's blocked on the inside?

Cause if it happens to both seats and almost every RCs (or all), I don't think it's a faulty unit, maybe it was designed that way?

The GS has big bands/sections and maybe the airflow is better than the IS/RC seats with small bands.

I don't think the heating element is turned on for that one band, but that band and the one above it doesn't get the cooler air as it is father away from the fan. The seat bottom is the same way, as the front of the seat closest to the dashboard is a high temperature as shown in the video. I never really noticed it before as Summer in AZ it is bloody hot and nothing ever gets cooled down, especially if you are sitting on the seat.

I just don't feel like taking my whole seat apart to see how the fan works and why that one band is warmer.

When I take my car in for it's last free oil change I'll ask Service. and bring the laser thermometer along to show them.
Old 09-14-15, 02:31 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I don't think the heating element is turned on for that one band, but that band and the one above it doesn't get the cooler air as it is father away from the fan. The seat bottom is the same way, as the front of the seat closest to the dashboard is a high temperature as shown in the video. I never really noticed it before as Summer in AZ it is bloody hot and nothing ever gets cooled down, especially if you are sitting on the seat.

I just don't feel like taking my whole seat apart to see how the fan works and why that one band is warmer.

When I take my car in for it's last free oil change I'll ask Service. and bring the laser thermometer along to show them.
Mercedes uses small vents on their seats, 4 on the bottom and 2 on the back.

I don't know about Lexus, someone said the GS only has 2 big vents, 1 for the bottom and 1 for the back. Maybe the RC only has 2 vents too and on some parts/bands it is being blocked by the heating elements, that's why those parts aren't being cooled.
Old 09-14-15, 03:59 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

It just seams weird that the band right below the top of the seat is the warmest, perhaps in fact due it smaller size or just the way the seat angles up at that point. Again, I really didn't notice it until I did the video and saw the difference.
Old 09-14-15, 04:16 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I brought it in for this the service department made a point out of the fact that the (other non-heating) setting is for ventilation, NOT cooling.

One worker at service mentioned that his IS, another that his GS have the same problem, as if i'd feel better about it, and drop it, after all, "misery loves company" .
Old 09-14-15, 09:43 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to borrow a laser thermometer from my work and test both of my seats out. I feel it being warm but maybe my clothing is just blocking the air flow.
Old 09-14-15, 09:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

In my GS I actually have to rock back and forth to get the air to flow better. If I just sit still I don't feel anything, especially the back.
Old 09-15-15, 10:16 PM
AussieRC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Can anyone send this thread to Lexus headquarters?
Response from Lexus Australia:

"We have checked for any Dealer Product Reports issued on this concern for both the RC 350 & RC F and I am pleased to advise that there is no reported concerns on this issue in Australia."

Are the U.S. cars built in Japan or the U.S.?
Old 09-16-15, 03:07 AM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are all built in Japan
Old 09-16-15, 03:35 AM
AussieRC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlrider
They are all built in Japan
Then hard to reconcile how this appears to be a US centric issue?! Thoughts?
Old 09-16-15, 06:12 AM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to explain. The seats are made by vendors and shipped to Toyota's assembly plant. The wiring,springs, covering,fans,heaters and so fourth are also made by other manufacturers sub contracted out. Each one of these vendors have various work shifts and man power. It's very possible that a process mistake was made on a specific shift and parts run. Thus affecting only a smaller number of vehicles. And it's also possible that this defect was not discovered and thus no recalls or TSB's issued.
Once Lexus finds the problem. And determines its this part or that part that is defective, they will in turn trace the part to the time and place made to correct the problem.
The hardest part now is getting Lexus attention to start the process.
Old 09-17-15, 04:53 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The hardest part now is getting Lexus attention to start the process.

Or, to get Lexus to admit there is indeed a problem
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (06-16-18)

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat