RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Ventilated Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 03:12 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not had an issue with my ventilated seats on my F-Sport. Maybe it has to do with when the vehicle was made. Mine was made 10/14.

Why don't the individuals that have the issue put their manufacture date in the post and we can tell from that if there is a manufacturer error going on. It's on the Black plate on the driver's door and you can see it on the line that says "MFD BY: Toyota .............. MM/YY"
Old 08-05-15, 06:42 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

MF Date: 02/15

Mine has a mind of it's own at this point. It is always set to cool, lowest level.
Mentioned it on my 5K Service, but could not replicate to demonstrate.

Today it heated up between shoulder blades again.
Two days ago... I felt the fans blowing (between shoulder blades) for the first time ever.

I will schedule a service appointment with this specific intent.
Old 08-06-15, 10:15 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by Radical350
MF Date: 02/15

Mine has a mind of it's own at this point. It is always set to cool, lowest level.
Mentioned it on my 5K Service, but could not replicate to demonstrate.

Today it heated up between shoulder blades again.
Two days ago... I felt the fans blowing (between shoulder blades) for the first time ever.

I will schedule a service appointment with this specific intent.
Let us know what you find out. Good Luck.
Old 08-08-15, 10:30 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No issue after 4 wks. ownership. Build date 3/15/15.

UPDATE: recently, I DO have the described problem!!

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-31-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 10:57 AM
odist
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the car in to the dealer other day for 5K service.Told them about the ventilated seat issue but could not replicate the problem. Yesterday on the way home, the seat started heating up between the shoulder blades again, the AC was on and the seat ventilation was at its highest.I just drove straight to the dealer. Without turning the engine off, the valet at the service area was able to feel the heated area of the seat and agreed with me that the problem was there, both driver and passenger seat.

Bit later a service writer came to me and asked me about the reason I brought the car in. By this time the car was turned off and we had to restart. The problem, of course went away. The service writer also spoke to the valet who took the car in. After short consideration, they decided to hold my car to diagnose and provided me with a rental.

I am appreciative of the courtesy they provided but not very optimistic about them resolving the issue, because the problem occurs intermittently. Just hoping for the best.

Will keep you guys posted with a follow up.
Old 08-13-15, 05:50 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Great move odist, "get it while it's hot". That's they way to do it.

I hope they have the knowledge and the tools to unearth the details. There is no doubt in my mind that there is an issue, a cross-connected heating element and seat cooling fan near top center perhaps.

Thanks for sacrificing some seat time, to get it checked out.
Old 08-14-15, 01:35 PM
odist
Rookie

Originally Posted by Radical350
Great move odist, "get it while it's hot". That's they way to do it.

I hope they have the knowledge and the tools to unearth the details. There is no doubt in my mind that there is an issue, a cross-connected heating element and seat cooling fan near top center perhaps.

Thanks for sacrificing some seat time, to get it checked out.
no problem.

Hopefully with everyone reporting the issues, we can be provided with a fix.
Old 08-14-15, 01:40 PM
odist
Rookie

So I got the car back yesterday.
They can't replicate the problem, thus unable to diagnose.
although I'm not happy with the fact this problem is not resolved, I know that the problem is occurs at random.

We just have to keep them aware that the problem exist by reporting it.

the service writer created a case number (it's printed in the paperwork) and submitted to Lexus corp.
Hopefully we get a fix for this soon.
Old 08-14-15, 06:08 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for your Vehicle Safety Complaint
Your Complaint Information has been successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10748834.

The vehicle information you entered (the Make, Model, and Model Year) is not currently in our database. Accordingly additional time will be needed to review your complaint, so you should allow at least five business days before trying to view your complaint online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

1. Vehicle Information
(VIN):JTHHE5BCXF500XXXX
Make / Model / Year :LEXUS RC350 2015
2. Incident Information
Approximate Incident Date:07/03/2015
Vehicle mileage at time of incident:3,500
Vehicle speed at time of incident:0 (mph)
Affected Parts:Seats, Electrical
Fire: No
Crash: No
Injury or Fatality: No

Tell us what happened:
When I'm using my ventilated seats the bottom of the seat is nice and cool but it feels like the my back is being heated. I always have ventilation on lowest setting. the top of the seat between shoulder blades... Very HOT!??? Seriously. I felt it with my hand, as if the ventilation was shorting the heating elements. It stayed hot a while after I turned off ventilation. Then it cooled.

Last edited by Radical350; 08-14-15 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 08:27 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just started having this problem. Last Friday here in Socal the weather has been very hot. Ive been noticing my mid back (lumbar area) has been getting very warm on my driver and passenger side seats. Even with the cooling vents all the way up it seems to not be getting cooler.

Just noticed it again this morning on the drive to work. Hopefully there are enough complaints to get this problem recalled and fixed.
Old 08-17-15, 10:20 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So this is just purely based on speculation and crazy thought since I have been experiencing this issue also.
My speculation is that, when the seat has been sitting in the sunlight "for that day" and turn on the air for your seat it will, only the back portion, blow out hot air or feel warmer. If you had left your car in the shade, it will blow out cooler air.

My reasoning: My car has been sitting in the sunlight for 2 days straight, for both days... my back was hot, even after the sun had gone done. This morning, my car was parked in the shade and I turned on the ventilation and it was cold. My thoughts is that if a certain part itself has been exposed to sunlight for a duration of time, it will blow out warmer air. My solution/thought = tints

again purely just a shot in the dark. Other drivers with this issue. When you have this issue with your car, has your car been exposed to the sunlight for a couple/few hours?

Last edited by SRC350F; 08-17-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 11:57 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

You can also get a custom sun shade that you put in when parked, and no more sun on the seats. This is the one I got for mine and it is great, when I have to park out in the sun. http://www.carid.com/2015-lexus-rc-sun-shades/covercraft-uvs100-heat-shield-53493510.html
Old 08-17-15, 02:26 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SRC350F

again purely just a shot in the dark. Other drivers with this issue. When you have this issue with your car, has your car been exposed to the sunlight for a couple/few hours?
I live in Vegas. In the summer, I always park with the rear of the car facing the sun. I also have 5% tint all around (except for the windshield). I still get the warming sensation on the back as others have described. I have an RC F, so it's not limited to the RC 350.
Old 08-17-15, 03:52 PM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^

I had it happen to me this morning my cars are always garaged I tried flatting out the lumbar support to see if that would help and its still warm. Just started happening this weekend also.
Old 08-17-15, 07:07 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SRC350F
When you have this issue with your car, has your car been exposed to the sunlight for a couple/few hours?
Anything is possible and it is worth considering outside contributing elements.

Upon occurrence... the environment and conditions have varied greatly; cool, hot, sunny, shady, and on several occasions while raining. The unwelcome heat issue remains constant in nature, but intermittently occurs.

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat