RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Mark Levinson vs Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 03:36 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Mark Levinson vs Stock Speakers

hi. I just came back from the dealership and got to sound test both. The Mark Levinson package was on the RC-F and the stock was on the RC 350 F-sport.

A little background with my audio preference. I know that audiophiles have different preferences and one thing that I notice that is common to audiophiles is being able to tell the separation of the sound and whether the source audio is compressed or not. That also depends on how much DSP is used.

My current set up for our RX 350 as it is my base reference in audio.

Arc Audio Arc10 sub
JL Audio JX500/1D amp for sub
Arc Audio KS 300.4 amp for the component speakers
Focal Access 165 A1 for rear seat component speakers
Focal Polyglass 165 V30 for front seat component speakers
JL Audio CL441DSP CleanSweep

My audio is set up where the bass, mid and highs are separate. They produce a crisp, fine audio but not too sharp. Good bass extension with no distortion.

Based on that, I got to listen the Mark Levinson on the RC-F and was able to tweak the bass/mid/treble. I noticed that separation and the ump of the base at the back. No distortion noted. Not as fine/crisp as my set up but maybe with time as the speakers break in, as with all speakers do, they'll sound better.

The stock for the RC 350 was pale in comparison. The audio sounded like they were competing to come out of one speaker, it sounded pale, muddled.

There's a huge difference for the upgrade.

The reason I wanted to find out was if getting the Mark Levinson package was worth it compared to my RX 350 set up as the price is almost identical but minus the hassle of installation.

If I get to choose, I would still go with my RX 350 set up but the Mark Levinson is a very close option. Plus I won't lose the Bluetooth feature where as the after market install, I lost that feature (Even if I have that feature, I don't even use it.)

The audio that I played are: The only way is the wrong way - Filter and Pretty Babies - Dishwalla in wav format for no compression. Both songs offer a balance of bass drum/guitar, snare drum/cymbals and electric rhythm/lead guitars with midrange vocals. If it will sound good on these songs, it will sound a LOT better when playing smooth jazz and other instrumental tracks IMO.

So, IMO, the Mark Levinson does make a difference. I don't know how others have said that they can't tell the difference. Hope this helps for those who are still contemplating of getting this package. Better yet, test them yourself and make sure you're not using mp3 or aac, use lossless source like a CD, Flac or Wav. If you have crappy source, you'll still have crappy sound no matter what your set up is. And don't use Bluetooth as it compresses the audio.
Old 05-16-15, 06:27 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the lesson. Two things, first not many ML system cars are around. For about $1K difference I'd rather invest it elsewhere. Second it's a Harmon product with just another name. I have an X-5 with an HK system for $875 that blows the doors off most car systems. It is an SUV with a large interior that has great acoustics. Bet hands down it would be the winner over the ML system.
Old 05-16-15, 07:41 PM
happy1977
Instructor

True about the ML's availability, it has to be special ordered/build. Having an audio set up is not for everyone. Having which is better for car audio is subject to debate considering you're comparing two different size vehicles. Others might say differently about your X5 audio. My post isn't about what is better hence the OP title.

I've read about how others' thoughts about the ML and after hearing it personally, I disagree on the negative reviews. For how it is, it's actually a lot better than stock. If I had to go to the hassle of aftermarket, I would but considering this is a new car, I don't trust pro install until maybe a few years from now but I wouldn't wait that long.
Old 05-16-15, 10:41 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm I have the ML stereo, I thought this was a common feature.
Old 05-17-15, 07:38 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Hmm I have the ML stereo, I thought this was a common feature.
Not from where I'm at.
Old 05-17-15, 08:50 AM
ngpFSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much standard equipment on California cars so far.
Old 05-17-15, 09:02 AM
kingpuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my car from Florida because I wanted both the ML and the 8 speed RWD instead of AWD (Live in PA and will NEVER drive this car in Dec-March). I am also an audiophile and when the "right" song comes on the ML with the deeper base and high separation,,,,,,,My smile will tell you it ws worth every penny.
Old 05-17-15, 09:05 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ngpFSport
Pretty much standard equipment on California cars so far.
True. When I was shopping around I didn't see any without it.
I owned a 4GS with ML and then a 3IS without ML, and there was a significant difference in audio quality. The ML system delivers clearer/crisper sound IMO.
Old 05-18-15, 12:45 AM
Nightcrawl
Driver

For what it's worth, ML is standard on the F-Sport in Australia. You get it whether you like it or not (and I love it).
Old 05-18-15, 06:07 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

It looks like it depends on the regions. I'm in Mass. I wanted a ML too but the dealer couldn't locate one. I couldn't believe it either but they they showed me the list with all the cars for NE and there was not any. At least that's how it was when I went to buy my car.
Old 05-18-15, 09:42 AM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to find here in nj, same as pvo stated
Old 05-09-16, 10:00 AM
hankster22
Driver School Candidate

I just leased a 2016 IS200t with standard stereo. (MLevinson was not available in FL).

The system has lots of speakers, but sounds thin and distorts easily at volume.
It's the one thing that makes the driving experience less than perfect.

I think an upgrade at this point would be complicated and very expensive

It's a shame that "Lexus Quality" doesn't include a great sounding stereo on every car.
Old 05-09-16, 06:02 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hankster22
I just leased a 2016 IS200t with standard stereo. (MLevinson was not available in FL).

The system has lots of speakers, but sounds thin and distorts easily at volume.
It's the one thing that makes the driving experience less than perfect.

I think an upgrade at this point would be complicated and very expensive

It's a shame that "Lexus Quality" doesn't include a great sounding stereo on every car.
Almost every manufacturer offers an upgrade to its audio system. If you wanted an upgraded audio system you should have leased an IS 200t F Sport. The standard IS does not offer the upgraded system. It is sad to see that music effects your driving experience. JMO
Old 05-09-16, 06:10 PM
hankster22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. And I completely understand. I guess I was just ruminating about the "Lexus Experience" you see advertised every night on TV. This is a discussion forum.
Again the upgrade was not available on about fifty IS200t vehicles on the lot. I would have had to put in a special order.
Ironically, I've seen that some folks don't even like the sound of the MLevinson; or don't think it's worth it.
Thanks again.
Old 05-12-16, 09:51 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hankster22
Thanks for the input. And I completely understand. I guess I was just ruminating about the "Lexus Experience" you see advertised every night on TV. This is a discussion forum.
Again the upgrade was not available on about fifty IS200t vehicles on the lot. I would have had to put in a special order.
Ironically, I've seen that some folks don't even like the sound of the MLevinson; or don't think it's worth it.
Thanks again.
I agree with you completely. At the Lexus price point...every car should have great sounding equipment with the option to only get better by choosing to spend extra money.

I have the F sport and its decent....but could definitely be better without the need for the way overpriced ML upgrade imo too! You could build a system that blows that out of the water for that money...but again who wants to tear up this beautiful machine!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Stock Speakers