RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Nebula Gray Pearl + Black or Rioja?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 11:25 PM
brnskmrc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nebula Gray Pearl + Black or Rioja?

Hi, I'm about to pick up a new RC 350 F Sport in Nebula Gray Pearl, but not sure about which interior color to go with. I was originally going to go with the black leather but was afraid that the white stitching will get dirty over time, so I'm currently leaning towards the red leather since it has the matching red stitching. The only gripe about the red is that it may be too trendy after the honeymoon period. Both looked nice on the dealer lot for sure.

Any thoughts on the black or red interior?
Would you care to share your reason for picking one over the other? (not interested in beige or gray)
Thanks in advance.
So looking forward to picking mine up this week.

Last edited by brnskmrc; 03-27-15 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-28-15, 05:54 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

The black interior would give the car no contrast or definition, and would be quite boring. I'd go for a lighter grey or even the red. The red is not trendy, but is a bold fashion statement; some owners have the machismo to pull that off - do you?
Old 03-28-15, 08:32 AM
ngpFSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should consider Playa - it is a very striking contrast to the Gray. The Playa & Black mix on the interior really makes it stand out.
Old 03-28-15, 09:20 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

My black 4GS and white 3IS both had black interiors, so for my RC I went with red. I love thecolor and contrast of the red.
Old 03-28-15, 09:23 AM
tfischer

I just saw a car with Playa, and it had a distinctly yellowish cast. I would suggest looking at the "flaxen" interior, which is a medium tan.
Old 03-28-15, 09:41 AM
ngpFSport
Driver School Candidate

Flaxen not available with F-Sport.
Old 03-28-15, 10:08 AM
tfischer

That's too bad - it makes for a lovely interior.
Old 03-28-15, 11:09 AM
ngpFSport
Driver School Candidate

The playa definitely has yellow cast - but it really pops against the conservative gray exterior. Pictures from Lexus website. We think the brown cast of the Playa would not work as well with the Nebula Gray.

The dealer had 2 people offer to buy my special order, if I didn't - during the one day it sat on the lot.

Flaxen

Playa
Old 03-28-15, 11:46 AM
tfischer

I agree that the Flaxen might be too dark for a grey car. In those photos from the Lexus site, and all the photos I have seen, including those in the RC brochure, the Playa looks to be just a lighter version of Flaxen. When I told my salesman I wanted an RC with either Flaxen or Playa, he suggested the Flaxen because that's what he had in his car (not an RC). The one we found had Flaxen, and I am quite happy with it, especially after I recently saw another Red RC with Playa, which I thought looked horrible. Most red Ferraris have a tan interior similar to Flaxen, which was the look I was going for. The yellow cast in Playa surprised me, and I suggest that shoppers look at it before committing to it, as the photos are misleading. A grey or black car would be a quite different case from the red, I would think, (the yellow wood trim (bird's eye maple) in my black SC430 was stunning), so as regards my first comment: never mind.

Last edited by tfischer; 06-08-17 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 12:36 PM
ngpFSport
Driver School Candidate

I definitely agree with you about going to the dealer and seeing the colors in person - goes for both interior and exterior. Don't just go by photos on a computer. Pick what looks good to you! We found some of the colors/combo's awful, yet others love them.
Old 03-28-15, 01:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I would probably go for the Rioja Red interior on Nebula Gray since I have a black interior on my IS and I'd want a change.
Old 03-28-15, 05:38 PM
Logain74
Driver School Candidate

I had the same dilemma as you. I actually special-ordered a Nebula RC F-Sport with Playa interior, but they didn't have a Rioja interior for me to compare. I was concerned that the red would be too loud and I might grow tired of it. As others have said, you can't go by pictures on a brochure or computer screen. All the marketing pictures I've seen of Playa make it seem darker than it really is, the more I saw it in person, the more I noticed how bright it is with a distinct yellow cast that I think clashes with the Nebula gray exterior.

A few weeks ago my dealer received a Nebula RC with Rioja interior and I dropped by to see it in person and fell in love with it. All the Rioja pictures I've seen on this forum make it seem brighter than it really is, it's actually a deep, lush red that I feel makes a great combination with the gray exterior. Since that car had pretty much all the same options as my special order, the dealer allowed me to buy that one instead. I'm now a proud owner of Nebula on Rioja F-Sport and haven't regretted my decision one bit. I would've regretted getting the Playa before seeing the Rioja in person and how well it complements the gray exterior.

Last edited by Logain74; 03-29-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 06:02 PM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the nebula with the Roja interior. Black is kinda plain for me. The red is a nice rich bloody red. Makes the car look more exotic.
Old 03-28-15, 06:19 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikha619
I have the nebula with the Roja interior. Black is kinda plain for me. The red is a nice rich bloody red. Makes the car look more exotic.
Agreed! The nebula and ultra white look great with the red interior.
Old 03-28-15, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rioja Red all the way. If Audi's Magma Red wasn't so bright I would have considered it. Rioja Red is perfect!

Quick Reply: Nebula Gray Pearl + Black or Rioja?