RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 09:29 AM
kennabra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe

I searched the thread but could not find anything specific comparing these two cars. I purposefully test drove both cars before studying specs/techs because I wanted to get an unbiased first impression. I am down to these two vehicles. I am coming out of a BMS X5.

Basically, I liked the interior of both. Although commercial reviews seem to give Audi the advantage on interior over all vehicles in its class, I thought Lexus was just as good. Both interiors were extremely nice.

I thought the A5 was quicker and more "fun" to drive than the RC 350. This somewhat makes sense because the A5 produces 330hp/330 torque compared to the RC's 310hp/277t.

Steering/handling was similar but again I would give a slight edge to the A5 coupe, but not by much. The Lexus felt luxurious.

Exterior is subjective and I realize everyone has an opinion. Some people like the A5 coupe, others think it is boring. Some love to RC F sport, others don't. Personally, I like them both, but I find the body and exterior of the RC more aggressive and stylish. They are both beautiful cars and I just cant put my finger on why the RC appeals to me more, but it does.

The A5 coupe is priced higher than the RC. So, all else being equal, the RC would have the edge on price.

Anyway, as you might be able to tell, I am torn between the two cars. I have never owned a Lexus or Audi. I have driven BMWs for the last 15 years. Can anyone share any thoughts, opinions, criticisms directly between the two cars? Much appreciated.
Old 01-06-15, 09:44 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the A5 have the 2.0T? and the RC 350 have a V6?

I'ved owned an A3 just before owning the RC. After regular warranty I got the extended warranty. It paid itself off at 65K. After the extended warranty expired, more repairs came in and it forced me to sell my car. I traded in the A3 to get the current car I have
Old 01-06-15, 09:55 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Really A5 has 330hp? Maybe S5 or 15" A5 has upgrade their engines?
Old 01-06-15, 09:59 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The A5 only has the 2.0t and that thing is weak. It does not have 330 HP or 330 lb/ft of torque; it's closer to 230 HP and 260 lb/ft of torque. Acceleration is much slower than the RC. Turbo lag is the biggest issue. I have an A4 2.0t at home and can report that that engine is not reliable at all. Having lots of problems after 60K miles. Lexus has been making the V6 in the RC for many years with little to no problems. It's very reliable. Also, I hope you drove a Quattro model because a non-Quattro one is FWD and that handles completely different that the RC, which is RWD.

I have driven the A5 and can report that that car feels old to drive. That car is near the end of its cycle and it feels it. The interior might have been nice 5 years ago, but it's old and dated. Just look how small the screen is now. Also, there are lots of plastics around the interior and no soft padded panels like the RC. RC definitely beats the A5 in interior comfort and style.

A5 is priced higher than the RC with options, but definitely not worth the money. Old car with small engine and outdated styling inside and out. Audi dealers are also not as nice as Lexus dealers in regards to customer service. This especially apparent in the service departments.

Last edited by dchar; 01-06-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 10:09 AM
kennabra
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys you are exactly correct. I meant the S5 coupe which is a step above the 2.0 T. I have so many numbers going through my head, I mis-typed.
Old 01-06-15, 10:57 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kennabra
Sorry guys you are exactly correct. I meant the S5 coupe which is a step above the 2.0 T. I have so many numbers going through my head, I mis-typed.
Then disregard my first paragraph. I still stand with the rest. The engine on the S5 is nice, but that's about it. But loaded with options, the S5 cost significantly more than the RC. Maybe consider looking into the RCF?
Old 01-06-15, 02:03 PM
Fishman350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I love the styling of the Audi S5, but agree that it is toward the end of it's current life cycle. When you consider that fact along with the reliability factor, the Lexus is the winner hands down in my opinion.
Old 01-06-15, 09:25 PM
rparkzy
Driver

if its between the A5 and the RC350 F sport ....Lexus wins hands down

I don't think they are in the same class, maybe S5 vs RC350 even though the S5 has the RC beat in the power segment

If we're comparing S5 vs RC350...I'd go with the S5 even though you're paying a few thousand more.
Old 01-06-15, 11:11 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RC350 is only quicker by 2/10th of a second 0-60 compared to an A5. Add an APR stage 1 flash for 550 bucks and you are looking at 0-60 in the 5.1-5.2 range for the manual and 4.4 for the eight speed auto with e85 gas.

I like both cars. The RC looks a lot more aggressive on the outside compared to the A5. Call me old...I like the more subtle exterior look and the availability of a manual transmission. The interior is a toss up. The seats are very firm in the A/S5 compared to the rc350. The LFA inspired gauge is nice as is the dash in the Audi. If it wasn't for the manual transmission in the Audi. I would of waited and purchased a Fsport RC350.

You can't go wrong with either one. They are both beautiful cars with slightly different taste.

Last edited by fasteddy91; 01-06-15 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 05:46 PM
Pushn2pull
Driver School Candidate

Both are beautiful coupes. I just wish Audi was as reliable as Lexus. I am waiting for the 2016 A5 redesign or snagging a 2015 clearance.
Attached Thumbnails RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe-2016-audi-a5-coupe-artists-rendering-photo-571541-s-986x603.jpg   RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe-1z4h2jb.jpg   RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe-2016-audi-a5-cabriolet-artists-rendering-photo-571540-s-986x603.jpg  

Last edited by Pushn2pull; 01-08-15 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 06:51 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

S5 hands down..I test drove both and found the S5 to handle better and more nimble. The S5s interior is very classy while the RC avante garde. I own an S5 now.
Old 01-08-15, 08:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned an '09 A5 3.2 (V6 engine), a '10 S5 Cab and an '11 S5 Cab. Even though the styling is gorgeous it is no longer "stand out" because it has essentially been on the market since 2008. The engine/tranny in the S5 is a gem and the interior is still beautiful. The B&O sound system is pretty nice as well, although I'm not sure how it compares to the Mark Levinson system in the RC. The ML system in my GS is much better than the B&O system in my Audis.

Tough decision. I personally think the fit/finish of the Audi is better but the RC will be stylish for many more years. Also, the reliability in the Lexus is pretty much bullet-proof. The reliability in the Audi is questionable. I never kept my Audis that long, so I'm not a good indicator.

I might still lean toward an S5 if I were going back to a coupe, but I would wait until the 2016 model or go with the RC if I wanted to trade now.
Old 01-09-15, 12:18 AM
rparkzy
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
I owned an '09 A5 3.2 (V6 engine), a '10 S5 Cab and an '11 S5 Cab. Even though the styling is gorgeous it is no longer "stand out" because it has essentially been on the market since 2008. The engine/tranny in the S5 is a gem and the interior is still beautiful. The B&O sound system is pretty nice as well, although I'm not sure how it compares to the Mark Levinson system in the RC. The ML system in my GS is much better than the B&O system in my Audis.

Tough decision. I personally think the fit/finish of the Audi is better but the RC will be stylish for many more years. Also, the reliability in the Lexus is pretty much bullet-proof. The reliability in the Audi is questionable. I never kept my Audis that long, so I'm not a good indicator.

I might still lean toward an S5 if I were going back to a coupe, but I would wait until the 2016 model or go with the RC if I wanted to trade now.
I really agree with this. RC350 doesn't really compare with the S5 when it comes to power. S5 is pretty much a second faster to 60. Looks wise though the RC350 will break necks. The few i've seen are gorgeous and look even better on the move. Any color works.

I'm leaning toward the RC350 at the moment. (I know earlier in the thread I said S5 but after test driving the RC350 F sport and the RCF i think I'm staying with Lexus)
Old 01-09-15, 10:38 AM
kennabra
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your opinions and insight. Agreed there is a very discernible difference between the RC 350 F Sport and S5 when it comes to handling and power. S5 is tops hands down, but the two cars probably should not be compared side by side. The S5 falls somewhere in between because it does not really compare to the RC F either. Because the price differential in my area is about $10k, I am leaning towards the RC350 F Sport. But that S5 keeps calling my name. Dealers are not budging much off MSRP on either car.
Old 01-09-15, 07:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you end up with either one you will be a very lucky man (or woman, if that's the case).

Quick Reply: RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe