RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

LED Door courtesy lights & Footwell Lights Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 06:51 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Did you get a shot of the bulb inside the housing? It would be great to see what the best size / fit bulb to put!
The trunk light is different in shape overall but, both the trunk and door take the T10 bulb. The ones I posted I used in the trunk, would work in the doors as well and should give off a good light. Not as nice as the ijdmtoy that myself and gearhead are using. But sufficient.
Old 09-03-15, 01:31 PM
jackals
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How bright are the footwell leds? Do they distract from driving or just subtle like OEM with a better color light?
Old 09-03-15, 07:22 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jackals
How bright are the footwell leds? Do they distract from driving or just subtle like OEM with a better color light?
It depends on the type of LED bulb you put in, but with this car the footwell lights only go on when you open the door. They are not on all the time as in other Lexus cars.
Old 05-26-16, 01:49 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great info! has anyone changed the dome lights also?

i know the trunk, courtesy, vanity, and footwell lights are all 194 and the reverse is 921

Last edited by Dimitri; 05-26-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 07:23 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimitri
great info! has anyone changed the dome lights also?

i know the trunk, courtesy, vanity, and footwell lights are all 194 and the reverse is 921
Those are already LED's and require the whole fixture to be removed so you can't change that. Use sylvania to determine what sizes are accurate for every vehicle. Also just because the bulb is the same size doesn't mean you want to use the same style of that size for each location. For the trunk use something wider for more light like a board. The direction and output of the LED is key and most can be found very cheap.
Old 06-01-16, 07:41 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

SUV is correct. I have replaced interior (and some exterior) lights on three cars, and I have found that the best way to get the most light, which is what you usually want, is to first open up the fixture and note the measurements of both the lamp that is in there as well as the size of the available space. Then use those dimensions to find an appropriate LED replacement on the seller's site. This takes longer than using the built in suggestions made for each vehicle, but those suggestions are not always the best configuration or the absolutely brightest item that will fit. When getting an LED for a trunk or for the area in the back of an SUV, this is probably the most important factor. I always notice all the bright light I now get inside the trunk of my cars after installing an LED.

Last edited by tfischer; 06-01-16 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Deleted references to glorious Thunder playoff victory.
Old 06-01-16, 08:13 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Has anyone tried the 921 reverse light leds from Xenondepot? Lexus if i remember from my old ISf were not coded but my m3 i needed error free bulbs. Any input?

I just ordered all 194 led replacements from superbrightleds.com also.
Old 06-02-16, 05:29 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

I got my 921 reverse lights from super bright led, and they are great.
Old 06-03-16, 02:08 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I got my 921 reverse lights from super bright led, and they are great.
I didn't see the option for them on the site, or else I woulda ordered. I am sure they're just fine
Old 06-06-16, 01:59 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dimitri
I didn't see the option for them on the site, or else I woulda ordered. I am sure they're just fine
Sorry my bad. The reverse lights are T10's.
Old 06-17-16, 11:11 AM
Dimitri
Driver

I installed visor, step well, trunk and reverse lights. My door lights on my 16 rc350 f sport already came with LED pannels, I wasn't able to switch in bulbs as they already came with the led housings. Anyone else experience this?
Old 06-18-16, 10:50 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

For the 2015's here with the stock lighting setup, there's no question that it is extremely dim. Reminds me of the lighting in the interiors of early 90's cars (ie. Corolla!!!)

I just installed the 18-SMD LED Side door courtesy lights from IJDMTOY.com and all I can say is WOW! They are incredibly white and incredibly bright. I had my heart set on illuminated sills, but there's no point installing them when all people will see are these door lights. For $25.99 US/pair you can't go wrong.

Here's a link to the site: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-IS-ES...s-p/75-008.htm

I also highly recommend the pry tool (if you don't already have something like this). It's a simple plastic bar (one side has a flat slight hook shape) and you can easily slip this under your lamp to open it up.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Open-Pry-To...l-p/aa2028.htm

Best bang for your buck mod hands down.

(I also took Terry's advice and installed these, thank you sir - I know someone was looking for the link earlier so here: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/50W-CREE-Hi...s-p/10-088.htm)
Old 06-18-16, 10:53 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
For the 2015's here with the stock lighting setup, there's no question that it is extremely dim. Reminds me of the lighting in the interiors of early 90's cars (ie. Corolla!!!)

I just installed the 18-SMD LED Side door courtesy lights from IJDMTOY.com and all I can say is WOW! They are incredibly white and incredibly bright. I had my heart set on illuminated sills, but there's no point installing them when all people will see are these door lights. For $25.99 US/pair you can't go wrong.

Here's a link to the site: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-IS-ES...s-p/75-008.htm

I also highly recommend the pry tool (if you don't already have something like this). It's a simple plastic bar (one side has a flat slight hook shape) and you can easily slip this under your lamp to open it up.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Open-Pry-To...l-p/aa2028.htm

Best bang for your buck mod hands down.

(I also took Terry's advice and installed these, thank you sir - I know someone was looking for the link earlier so here: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/50W-CREE-Hi...s-p/10-088.htm)

This YouTube video is pretty representative of what the door lights bring... at the 53 second mark can see a day and night video sample
Old 06-19-16, 05:34 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

26 bucks for 2 LED bulbs, really? ROFL...😂
Old 06-23-16, 05:09 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by suvi2k
26 bucks for 2 LED bulbs, really? ROFL...😂
The $26 is not for two LED bulbs, but for two LED panels that have 10-15 LEDS on each, and the housing. Unplug old door lights and plug in new LED panels. I'm not crazy to pay $26 for just 2 LED bulbs.

Quick Reply: LED Door courtesy lights & Footwell Lights Installed