RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Remote Starting vehicle with Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 12:25 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if anyone covered this with any finality in this thread, but every '15 car that Lexus makes with Nav, save for the CT, does have remote start feature from the key FOB. You first must have your Enform Remote Services set up and active. Once you have completed the registration of that app and moved past the registration pending stage, you will now have access to remote start from the FOB. Best performance of that function are achieved by locking the vehicle and waiting at least 8-10 seconds before you attempt to remotely start, then pressing the lock button 3 times in rhythm, and holding upon the 3rd press until the lights flash and you hear one chime. Not too quickly, but I would say somewhere between .5 and 1 second between presses.

For the people who ask why you would want the FOB function if you have the phone app active, it would be in situations involving the car or your cellular phone not having any service. For the remote starter to work from the app you would have to have clear cellular and data connection for both the vehicle and the phone, which can be hard to achieve in a parking garage.

This service is free for the first year with your Enform trial. After that you will need to resubscribe to Safety Connect @~$140/yr and the Remote Start App is ~$80/yr.
Old 10-11-15, 07:38 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Dr. D:
Nice summary of a misunderstood feature. Thanks.
I would only add that another advantage is that firing up the car via the fob is much faster than getting into the app, which requires entering a passcode for the app and probably one for the phone.
Old 10-12-15, 12:17 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the engine turn off when you guys opened the door to get in ?
Old 10-12-15, 12:54 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

It's not just us guys getting in. Once started remotely, the engine turns off when anyone opens a door for any reason.
Old 10-12-15, 07:42 AM
DrDDay
Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
It's not just us guys getting in. Once started remotely, the engine turns off when anyone opens a door for any reason.
This is correct. It will also run for 10 minutes before it shuts down, and then it can be remotely started again for another 10 minutes. After the second 10 minute timer runs out, you will be unable to start it remotely again until you have gotten into the vehicle and started it with the Start/Stop button in the vehicle.

Originally Posted by tfischer
I would only add that another advantage is that firing up the car via the fob is much faster than getting into the app, which requires entering a passcode for the app and probably one for the phone.
Absolutely.

I feel like any time that your vehicle is in visual range, you might as well use the key FOB.
Old 10-12-15, 11:05 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDDay
This is correct. It will also run for 10 minutes before it shuts down, and then it can be remotely started again for another 10 minutes. After the second 10 minute timer runs out, you will be unable to start it remotely again until you have gotten into the vehicle and started it with the Start/Stop button in the vehicle.

Absolutely.

I feel like any time that your vehicle is in visual range, you might as well use the key FOB.
I agree 100%. While walking towards the car, and the time it takes to unlock the phone, bring up the app, enter in the code and wait for it to start I will be standing next to the car already. It is sweet though to remote start the car from my office, and come out to a cool interior. It is also fun to see the reaction of people when the car starts by itself or when Security comes over to tell me my car just started.

Yes, I know it will cost me $219 per year for my remote start and security, but for the amount of money I spent on the car it is a small price to pay for this convenience.
Old 11-18-15, 03:44 PM
San46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You are 100% right.

Originally Posted by RCFSid
Also, maybe not specific to the VIN issue, but definitely related to the setup of the Enform Remote: others have reported (including myself) that the dash in the vehicle name (RC-F) causes a problem. Rename without the dash and you might have better results.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to trying to remote start my F with the key FOB. Great info!

I had been trying to get the Remote app to work for 2 weeks, called remote Cs around 5 times. All I needed to do was change the name of the vehicle with no dash. Works perfectly now.

Thank you.
Old 11-18-15, 04:21 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by San46
I had been trying to get the Remote app to work for 2 weeks, called remote Cs around 5 times. All I needed to do was change the name of the vehicle with no dash. Works perfectly now.

Thank you.
Glad you can now remote start the car. It should prove handy this Winter in NY.
Old 11-19-15, 07:10 PM
camelbrush
Driver School Candidate

Default woooooow

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Remote starting the car w/o using the Enform Remote App.

Press the Lock button 3 times, and on the third time hold until the parking lights begin to flash, release the lock button.

The vehicle will start within a few seconds.

Pressing the Unlock button or opening the door will shut off the car.

Try it and see how far away you can be to remote start the car with the key Fob and report back.

Enjoy,

Peter
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak! it works! OMG. Makes me feel so complete now.
The following users liked this post:
KERC350 (08-08-17)
Old 11-20-15, 05:34 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by camelbrush
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak! it works! OMG. Makes me feel so complete now.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Old 01-01-16, 12:37 PM
only1jv
Driver School Candidate

just want to confirm that this works in the 2016 RC300. However, the range was limited. I couldn't get it to work standing 25 feet away with two panels of glass in between.
Old 01-01-16, 01:16 PM
RickHansen
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason, it is illegal for remote start in Australia
Old 01-02-16, 06:59 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by only1jv
just want to confirm that this works in the 2016 RC300. However, the range was limited. I couldn't get it to work standing 25 feet away with two panels of glass in between.
Excellent. If the glass is Low-E that could make a difference. Did you try it from outside?
Old 01-02-16, 07:00 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickHansen
For some reason, it is illegal for remote start in Australia
That's a shame.
Old 01-03-16, 02:05 PM
only1jv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Excellent. If the glass is Low-E that could make a difference. Did you try it from outside?
I tried it outside and it works great, but i didn't test the distance while doing it from outdoors.

Quick Reply: Remote Starting vehicle with Key Fob