RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Big Difference In Front Bumper Between RC F and RC 350

Old 11-22-14, 09:26 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big Difference In Front Bumper Between RC F and RC 350

Over the last couple days I've been doing some contrast and comparison on the RC F appearance against the RC 350 and the biggest thing I noticed "regarding the front only" was that the spindle grill is considerably wider and it looks as though the headlights are different shaped on the RC 350 vice RC F. I like the RC F front end much better after noticing the narrower grill, it looks much more proportionate.

Front spindle grill is more narrow at the bottom, taller at the top (notice the grill goes almost to the top of the headlights) which utilizes a different hood shape all together and obviously the lower corner intake openings (no fogs).

Grill is lower, as is the hood line, spindle grill is REALLY wide at the bottom w/integrated fog lights and the lower corner intake openings have small slits vice large openings.
Old 11-22-14, 12:54 PM
RC350Fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good catch. I had never noticed this.

I agree with you on the narrower spindle grill on the RC F, but I like the lower grill on the F Sport.
Old 11-22-14, 02:54 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RC350Fan
Good catch. I had never noticed this.

I agree with you on the narrower spindle grill on the RC F, but I like the lower grill on the F Sport.
Ya the F-Sport grill still looks good. Doesn't matter though as I won't pony up the cash for an RC F anyway. Too much money for that little HP and only minor cosmetic changes from the RC 350 (front/rear bumper and fender skirts and upgraded interior). Much more car can be had for the RC F price range.
Old 11-22-14, 06:23 PM
Infrared
Rookie

Originally Posted by toystry
Ya the F-Sport grill still looks good. Doesn't matter though as I won't pony up the cash for an RC F anyway. Too much money for that little HP and only minor cosmetic changes from the RC 350 (front/rear bumper and fender skirts and upgraded interior). Much more car can be had for the RC F price range.
Hmm, not sure I agree with that last sentence. A loaded M4 will approach $80k, and come loaded with maintenance problems (no extra charge.) And while good looking, the M4 is nothing remarkable. The RC and RCF are truly remarkable looking.

And "Little hp"? That's pretty funny. I guess if you want a 707hp Challenger Hellcat you are getting more hp for your money--but I assure you, you're not getting "more car", not by a long shot.
Old 11-23-14, 07:56 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Infared
Hmm, not sure I agree with that last sentence. A loaded M4 will approach $80k, and come loaded with maintenance problems (no extra charge.) And while good looking, the M4 is nothing remarkable. The RC and RCF are truly remarkable looking.

And "Little hp"? That's pretty funny. I guess if you want a 707hp Challenger Hellcat you are getting more hp for your money--but I assure you, you're not getting "more car", not by a long shot.
You can get similar horsepower or better for less was my point, $30,000 less if you go with a Mustang GT 5.0. While I agree you're getting a much more refined, aesthetically looking car with the RC, it comes at the tune of $30,000 if you want want the HP gains of the RC F.

The carryover of the 3.5L and 5.0L are very disappointing to me considering both RC's are heavier. I love the RC, don't get me wrong, but I sure don't love the $30,000+ to get the RC F's HP.
Old 11-23-14, 01:39 PM
Infrared
Rookie

Not sure why you would compare a Lexus to a Mustang. Very different cars catering to very different markets.

The RCs from Lexus are very competitive in terms of price, performance and amenities in the space where they compete--premium sports coupes from Audi and BMW.

And in any case the RCF is fast as hell, very close to the new M4 and in my opinion much better looking and almost certainly better built.
Old 11-23-14, 03:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCF grille is smaller so it can have bigger side vents, where the oil and transmission coolers reside. RCF is much more bulky and muscular looking, fitting for the car

Originally Posted by toystry
The carryover of the 3.5L and 5.0L are very disappointing to me considering both RC's are heavier. I love the RC, don't get me wrong, but I sure don't love the $30,000+ to get the RC F's HP.
lol the RCFs 5.0 is anything but a carryover. The only thing carried over is the 5.0 engine block, everything else was revised. RC350 to RCF is a lot more than cosmetic changes.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 11-23-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the grille is different because the hood is higher to accommodate the V8. To each his own, but I personally prefer the RC F Sport grille. I think the RC F grille looks like an NX from head-on. I think the RC F Sport grille makes the front look wider and rounder and more sensuous, like a true coupe.
Old 11-23-14, 08:43 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

....also notice how much higher the cowl line of the hood is on the RC-F. You can see this very clearly when looking at where the hood meets the bottom of the A-Pillars on both models.
Old 11-24-14, 12:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

another thing is pedestrian crash test regulations say there has to be a minimum distance between the hood and any hard surfaces in the engine bay, so this bulges the hood. No longer can you make wedgey very sharp cars. So now they look more bloated because of regulations. If they changed the RCF engine to have a dry sump oil system that lowers the engine by 3" so therefore you can lower the hood.

You can see some of the hood when youre sitting in an RCF vs an RC/IS. My IS you cant see the hood when in my driving position, but due to the more bulgey hood on the RCF you can see it while driving, but not that bad.
Old 11-26-14, 08:13 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion, the front of the RC F looks better.....but the rear of the RC350 looks better. The RC350 also looks sleeker on the sides.
Old 11-26-14, 10:12 AM
RDKohler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a side by side shot at the dealer

Last edited by RDKohler; 06-05-16 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 12:30 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RDKohler
You're not very observant, are you?
Old 11-26-14, 02:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by RDKohler
While your picture does not show an RC F next to an RC350 (topic of this thread), it does show the RC350 next to an IS250 Crafted Line, which is an interesting comparison in itself. Fun to look at. I love that there is family resemblance, but each is still unique.
Old 11-26-14, 02:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

can see the differences in proportions in both cars. RC roof lower, RC hood wider and longer. Doesnt even resemble an IS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Difference In Front Bumper Between RC F and RC 350