RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Tough Choice RC vs C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 06:15 AM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Choice RC vs C7

JUst sold my C6 Corvette to buy a C7 Convertible. Then I saw this for around the same money (accessorized) Performance seems on par with the C7. I have sworn off Toyota products since they changed their ESP buying rules.

Here in the SE we HAVE to buy a Fidelity ESP owned buy the Moran family who owns Southeast Toyota. It does not cover as much as the real Toyota Care Platnium we used to buy from Jerry.
I was so incensed I sold my Toyota and bought Corvette and a Honda CRV to replace the VEnza and RAV on Principle. Both replacements have been great. We do have a RAV 4 still covered with a TC ESP from Troy so we are hanging on to that.

Then I see this beauty. Although it is a different car from the Corvette (more like a Mustang with the back seat and hard top) No INfiniti comes close, BMW and all German cars are out of the picture. Considered the GTR for about five minutes. Last I looked those were $80K.....LOL

Anyway I am stepping back and will see how this car fares and maybe travel out of the SET region to buy one if I decide not to buy the C7.
Old 08-20-14, 07:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Southeast Toyota is... Toyota. Lexus is completely different, so you should be able to buy from your local dealer.
Old 08-20-14, 07:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im assuming you are comparing RCF. Tough choice but its going to boil down to this:

C7 - huge aftermarket support, easy easy power gains, tuneable, faster than RCF, 2 seater, lower build quality (quite a number of issues according to C7 forums), interior is much nicer than C6 but not as good as RC
RCF - much better build quality, more exclusive and rare, 4 seater, more expensive
Old 08-20-14, 07:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I assume not since he disqualified GT-R for costing $80k. Maybe RC 350 F Sport or something?
Old 08-20-14, 09:52 AM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^I assume not since he disqualified GT-R for costing $80k. Maybe RC 350 F Sport or something?
YEah I am looking at $65K tops. The C7s are not having many issues at all, I know they are apples and oranges. The LExus seems to have the best of both worlds. But I have a daily driver and really am looking for a part time sport's car. The Lexus looks great in and out.
Old 08-20-14, 10:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

main issues i saw on C7 forum was spiderwebbing paint, really bad orange peel, mainly worksmanship type issues like it was rushed out.

If you have a DD already honestly a C7 would be good. Now if C7 was you only car, 2 seater would suck.
Old 08-20-14, 01:01 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
main issues i saw on C7 forum was spiderwebbing paint, really bad orange peel, mainly worksmanship type issues like it was rushed out.

If you have a DD already honestly a C7 would be good. Now if C7 was you only car, 2 seater would suck.
Thanks and Yes I am painfully aware of the orange peel issues and Will be staying away from dark colors. My wife's 12 RAV and my 14 CRV has smoother paint. I think Chevy has received the message and I await the 15s. I saw the RC because I did a "once around the horn (eliminating anything German)

And the Lexus seemed to compare favorably with the bonus being it has Lexus reliability. vs GM recalls....and Lexus service is far better than taking a Vette to an AVEO dealer for service.The downside being the moniker. I never cared for "prestige" cars unless it was a pure super car.

I have to say the new Lexus has put an "ALL STOP" on my Corvette purchase until I see one and determine if it is a real Sport cat or justs a fast really nice coupe (ala the Q40) So far IU am extremely impressed in and out.
Old 08-20-14, 01:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

dont rule out RCF, not sure on the price but maybe less than 80k
Old 08-20-14, 04:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

dunno if you care for tracking but some complaints about 6AT vettes tranny fluid temperatures even with Z51 package

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...6-warning.html
Old 08-21-14, 09:55 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dunno if you care for tracking but some complaints about 6AT vettes tranny fluid temperatures even with Z51 package

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...6-warning.html
No I don't track. More of a "Grand Touring" type. Anything less than a Z06 is not serious tracking anyway.
The Lexus just has a head turning look with a solid moniker. Can't wait to see if they are in my comfort zone pricewise.
Old 08-22-14, 04:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

RC350 F Sport is a good GT car then

Decision got tougher for some with the Z06 pricing leaked to be 78k base + 12k for Z07 package and carbon package
Old 08-22-14, 10:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If I was going purely for fun, with no other purpose for the car, I would go with the Corvette. One of my friends recently bought one, with the 7 speed manual, and that car is an absolute blast to drive.

If I was going for a daily driver, I would go for an RC.
Old 08-23-14, 12:07 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
If I was going purely for fun, with no other purpose for the car, I would go with the Corvette. One of my friends recently bought one, with the 7 speed manual, and that car is an absolute blast to drive.

If I was going for a daily driver, I would go for an RC.
I agree the 7M is the way to go. I had the 6M in my 06 and it was a blast. Althought if I was going with a 15 I might look at the A8 New for 2015.

Still the Lexus just looks and feels like a better built car. My brother has a GS350 13. It feels much tighter than any GM product. and the interior is MUCH better
Old 08-25-14, 07:55 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

If you plan on keeping past warranty. Lexus by far. But if you're like me and don't keep cars more than a few years. The C7 would be a great choice and probably funner to drive.
Old 09-04-14, 01:21 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Yeah My head says Lexus, My Heart says Corvette. I am waiting for the 15s to show up on the lots and the 14 manuals show up used. At that time the RC should be out and I can see how many boxes it ticks, If I can get the wife to agree to sell her RAV and take on my DD leased CRV.Then the Lexus makes more sense as a DD and a Sporty car

Quick Reply: Tough Choice RC vs C7