RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC 200t

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 10:23 AM
JSean21
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RC 200t

Anyone considering getting an RC 200t? just curious...
Old 10-03-15, 10:36 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they say the weight of the car would be lighter?
Old 10-03-15, 05:41 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
Did they say the weight of the car would be lighter?
I think specs for GS200t indicated that the turbo-4 is heavier than the V6. Not sure why....but I bet similar case for RC200t.
Old 01-10-16, 07:41 AM
kyhedhtr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I'm considering it. On the fence right now between the 200t and the 350. I going RWD so its between the two. I'm not a lead foot or a speed demon, so while the V6 would be nice, the 200t is more practical. I drive about 90/10 interstate daily for work, about 75 miles round trip. I've been trying to compare MPG, and while the 200t is rated higher, the only real world usage I can really compare to is the IS 200t, which in the reviews is getting pretty good mileage, even though its lighter by about 150 lbs. I test drove both, same route etc, and the 200t came in at almost 5 MPG more during the test drive. I'll take the 5 MPG more, even though gas prices are cheap right now, they won't stay down for long. The 350 has the devil on my shoulder pushing me one way, and the 200t has the good boy on my other shoulder pushing me the other way.
Old 01-10-16, 09:45 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kyhedhtr
Yes, I'm considering it. On the fence right now between the 200t and the 350. I going RWD so its between the two. I'm not a lead foot or a speed demon, so while the V6 would be nice, the 200t is more practical. I drive about 90/10 interstate daily for work, about 75 miles round trip. I've been trying to compare MPG, and while the 200t is rated higher, the only real world usage I can really compare to is the IS 200t, which in the reviews is getting pretty good mileage, even though its lighter by about 150 lbs. I test drove both, same route etc, and the 200t came in at almost 5 MPG more during the test drive. I'll take the 5 MPG more, even though gas prices are cheap right now, they won't stay down for long. The 350 has the devil on my shoulder pushing me one way, and the 200t has the good boy on my other shoulder pushing me the other way.
Go for the RC350! You won't regret it. It's only 11 lbs heavier than the RC200t, but much more power. I have a feeling that the turbo-4 isn't going to be adequate enough to move this 3737 lb car. I noticed with my experience with the NX200t as a loaner, it had significant turbo lag. It's a common complaint on the IS200t also. With the additional ~150 lbs additional weight in the RC200t to the IS200t, there will be quite a difference. Depending how you drive, you might get similar fuel economy figures from both. Not to mention, the V6 has a pretty good track record for reliability and the turbo-4 is too new to know.

Last edited by dchar; 01-10-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 02:56 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My recommendation is if you're looking for an RC just for the looks, the 200t will suit you fine -- it's also more cost effective. If you want a bit more oomph then 350 is the way to go!

I originally was holding out at the prospect of 200t, but I couldn't wait and picked up the 350. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 01-11-16, 04:31 PM
kyhedhtr
Driver School Candidate

I've driven both, and while the 350 is tempting, the gas mileage keeps pushing me towards the 200t. Unfortunately they don't have any RWD 350's in my area, so I was stuck with the AWD version of the 350 for test drive purposes. I'm sure the extra HP would be a nice conversation piece, and worth a few nice punches every once and a while, but at the end of the day, the 200t is more practical. If I was 25 again, the 350 would be my first choice, but I'm over twice that age and I think for now wisdom will win out.

Last edited by kyhedhtr; 01-11-16 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NewRC (02-05-20)
Old 01-11-16, 04:46 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Congratulations. I think that's the first time the word "practical" has been used on this Forum in reference to an RC.

Last edited by tfischer; 01-11-16 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Removed references to awards given to The Martian.
Old 01-11-16, 05:20 PM
kyhedhtr
Driver School Candidate

Now thats funny, if I think an RC 200t is "practical" ...........then I guess a Prius would be "safe". If I was made of money, the 350 would be a no brainer, but then if money was no object, then the RCF would be the ticket!! I guess I could always look at how Marathon Oil continually raises the gas prices in our area to keep it around $2.00 per gallon (when just south of there its in the $1.50 range) and then buy stock in Marathon so when I'm gassing up my RC 350 at least I would be putting money in my pocket from the dividends that Marathon pays. Hum, maybe there is some logic there.
Old 01-12-16, 09:21 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Now thats funny, if I think an RC 200t is "practical" ...........then I guess a Prius would be "safe". If I was made of money, the 350 would be a no brainer, but then if money was no object, then the RCF would be the ticket!! I guess I could always look at how Marathon Oil continually raises the gas prices in our area to keep it around $2.00 per gallon (when just south of there its in the $1.50 range) and then buy stock in Marathon so when I'm gassing up my RC 350 at least I would be putting money in my pocket from the dividends that Marathon pays. Hum, maybe there is some logic there.
Hey, here in Canada retail gas prices have tumbled but we're still paying $3.62 US / gallon for 91 Octane (and that's a great deal...) -- I'm sure the 200t will sell well here.
Old 01-12-16, 06:36 PM
kyhedhtr
Driver School Candidate

WOW, someone is getting rich in Canada on those prices.
Old 01-15-16, 10:41 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC350 hands down.
Old 01-16-16, 07:33 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Not Trying to HI Jack your thread, But my dealer was nice enough to provide me a RC200T as a loaner, while my RC350 is in for service.
I will be the first to say that I don't know what Lexus Intent is with the RC 2 Door Coupe line.
I don't know if they are just trying to sell a bunch of RC's from an economical 4cylinder, moderately powered v6 to a fire breathing v8.

I felt as the RC 350 and F was priced moderately to allow the public to know this was a exclusive class of car to have.
The 200T ( In my opinion) is really taking away from a New Lexus Line of cars that has a lot of potential..

Four days of driving the RC200 T compared to my RC350 F Sport is a night and day difference.
This was a base model car with no fancy features, such as adaptive magnetic shocks or power Tilt Steering Wheel . The ride really reminds me of my sc300 , as you do feel the road more so in the seat of your pants. All other feature are about the same. I can see how Lexus made the car more economical to own.
Engine:
BiG ISSUE to Me... LACK of POWER, Buzzy 4 cylinder sound and feel.. The car does accelerate, but the low end torque is not the feel of the V6 and definitely cant compare to the F at all.
If the car is being advertised as a turbo.. I think they should at least allow you to hear the turbo spool or even add a intake blow off valve, just to give a person the " Turbo Sensation".
The exhaust note / interior sound of the engine give you the straight 4 cylinder buzz. They definitely need to improve on this too.
Transmission:
The 8 speed transmission constantly hunts between gears when going through various inclines. The engine will lug in 8th, then drop in 7 or 6, then up shift again. All these actions are going on while I hadn't change the position of the accelerator pedal at all. Lexus really need to change the programming of the transmission shifting or even change to a 5 or 6 speed transmission that they already have in their production line.
Maybe even a manual 5 or 6 speed may give the car more pep.

Acceleration:
There is a big delay when you hit the pedal to move out quickly. The computer has to figure out everything before the car decides to go. There is a lot of 4cylinder noises, then the car accelerates. Its hard to say if it sets you back in the seat, but to me it feels more like a ES family car , than a sports car when it come to acceleration.. I think they really need to work of the gearing in the transmission to give a more seat of the pants acceleration feel and not a lot of gear shifting.

Cruising:
The car does rides well at Hi Speeds, you will be over the speed limit in no time, if you don't pay attention to the speedometer.
The engine is smooth with a little 4 cylinder buzz. at speed. Hi speed lane changes/ passing is questionable. I really didn't feel as it had the passing power when needed. Power does come on, but at its own pace. By that time your lane change opportunity may have closed.

Gas Mileage:
Great.. Looks as the car gets about shy of 400 miles on a tank of gas. This is a mix of city and Hi way driving. Probably even better on full Hi-way driving trips.

Final Statement:
If you want RC looks with Great Gas Mileage. The RC 200T is for you.

Last edited by red93sc; 01-16-16 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 07:26 AM
kyhedhtr
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the detailed driving experience. I guess your final statement is me. I really, really wanted to go for the RC 350, but I decided for my driving route and driving style the 200t better suited my needs. Will I regret it, well only time will tell. I'll put at least 20,000 miles a year on it driving to work daily so if I don't enjoy it, those 20,000 miles will be a long agonizing drive. On the other hand, if I made the right choice for me, then the miles will be enjoyable. I drove the 200t and the 350 AWD and the 200t drove just fine to me. Yes, the 350 had more kick in the a**, but the 200t had enough kick for me.
Old 01-17-16, 04:03 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the detailed driving experience. I guess your final statement is me. I really, really wanted to go for the RC 350, but I decided for my driving route and driving style the 200t better suited my needs. Will I regret it, well only time will tell. I'll put at least 20,000 miles a year on it driving to work daily so if I don't enjoy it, those 20,000 miles will be a long agonizing drive. On the other hand, if I made the right choice for me, then the miles will be enjoyable. I drove the 200t and the 350 AWD and the 200t drove just fine to me. Yes, the 350 had more kick in the a**, but the 200t had enough kick for me.
NP, this is what this site is all about, passing on great information to others.

Quick Reply: RC 200t