Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking Of Getting Tanabe and Invidia

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 12:29 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Thinking Of Getting Tanabe and Invidia

I know there's a lot of info regarding exhausts for these cars and Ive narrowed it down to maybe getting the Tanabe Medallion (or clone Manzo) with or without the Invidia midpipe. I want a quiet exhaust with better flow and more power.

I want to hear from others on CL who have the Tanabe with or without the Invidia midpipe. I would at least get the Tanabe as it doesn't make sense to get the Invidia with the stock mufflers. Tanabe with Invidia might be too loud.

Please advise!!
Old 03-09-17, 12:42 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I held out forever on getting an exhaust just because I really didn't want my IS to be loud or annoying. I finally broke down and got one and it is very quiet once broken in. At first it hums along a bit, but it quiets up nicely after a few hundred miles. It's still audible, but not intrusive. It really doesn't make any noise above 3500 or so when getting into it either, or not enough to be heard over the F-Sport intake.

Pairing it with the Invidia will definitely amplify it and likely add a degree a raspy to it. You could always just do the exhaust and decide later if you want to make it louder via midpipe. I like mine the way it is and wouldn't really want it any louder.
The following users liked this post:
Ken167 (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 12:50 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I'd avoid the Invidia if you want the exhaust to be quiet.

The Tanabe has a nice deep sound to it. I had one for a few weeks, ended up reselling it because I couldn't take the drone at highway speeds. Maybe it had to do with the specific one I had or something, even tried changing out the broken gasket and it still had that droning sound, 5 hour drives hearing that wasn't fun. It sounded pretty nice around town though. If you want something raspier, you could look at an F-Sport, but those sell for quite a bit more than what it'll cost for a new Tanabe.
Old 03-09-17, 01:32 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
I held out forever on getting an exhaust just because I really didn't want my IS to be loud or annoying. I finally broke down and got one and it is very quiet once broken in. At first it hums along a bit, but it quiets up nicely after a few hundred miles. It's still audible, but not intrusive. It really doesn't make any noise above 3500 or so when getting into it either, or not enough to be heard over the F-Sport intake.

Pairing it with the Invidia will definitely amplify it and likely add a degree a raspy to it. You could always just do the exhaust and decide later if you want to make it louder via midpipe. I like mine the way it is and wouldn't really want it any louder.
Did you notice any power gains from the Tanabe?
Old 03-09-17, 07:14 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken167
I know there's a lot of info regarding exhausts for these cars and Ive narrowed it down to maybe getting the Tanabe Medallion (or clone Manzo) with or without the Invidia midpipe. I want a quiet exhaust with better flow and more power.

I want to hear from others on CL who have the Tanabe with or without the Invidia midpipe. I would at least get the Tanabe as it doesn't make sense to get the Invidia with the stock mufflers. Tanabe with Invidia might be too loud.

Please advise!!
Get the Tanabe and leave out the invidia..
Not sure if I feel a big difference but the sound is great "not too loud" and the tips are beautiful and larger than the stock ones.... it is a well made polished stainless steel exhaust worth the money.
Get it you won't regret it.
Ken167 (03-10-17)
Old 03-10-17, 11:34 AM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tanabe is quiet. Only a bit louder at WOT and not as deep when around 3k.

I deleted my resonator instead of midpipe and it attracts attention so maybe keeping just the tanabe exhaust with no midpipe is perfect for you
Old 03-10-17, 02:14 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking for something decent, what's your thoughts on a HKS Hi-Powered Exhaust? I see alot of IS250 on Youtube have them.
Old 03-10-17, 04:44 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Im going to get the Manzo exhaust instead. I spoke with Manzo they are here in LA they said its a copy of the Tanabe at half the price. And I can go pick it up in LA.
Old 03-11-17, 12:14 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im going to get the Manzo exhaust instead. I spoke with Manzo they are here in LA they said its a copy of the Tanabe at half the price. And I can go pick it up in LA.
Can you look at it before you buy?
Would be good if you could compare, the quality of the Tanabe's is top notch, looking at the picture it doesn't look like the Manzo's weld around the muffler seams are as good.
Look at some Tanabe's, the seam is folded and rolled over....(does this make sense). I don't think the Manzo's would last as long or hold up to being rusted out, plus I believe the quality of the Stainless steel maybe better/thicker on the Tanabe's.
You may end up buying two exhausts for half the price each instead of just getting the better quality one, remember you get what you pay for.
Now telling you what to do , but I have bought stuff cause its cheaper but then regretting in later wasting money and still ended up getting the better one later.
Do your research....Good luck!!

Last edited by Koolsport; 03-11-17 at 12:29 PM.
Ken167 (03-11-17)
Old 03-11-17, 07:13 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by Koolsport
Can you look at it before you buy?
Would be good if you could compare, the quality of the Tanabe's is top notch, looking at the picture it doesn't look like the Manzo's weld around the muffler seams are as good.
Look at some Tanabe's, the seam is folded and rolled over....(does this make sense). I don't think the Manzo's would last as long or hold up to being rusted out, plus I believe the quality of the Stainless steel maybe better/thicker on the Tanabe's.
You may end up buying two exhausts for half the price each instead of just getting the better quality one, remember you get what you pay for.
Now telling you what to do , but I have bought stuff cause its cheaper but then regretting in later wasting money and still ended up getting the better one later.
Do your research....Good luck!!

Yea I would like to get the Tanabe but cant spend the $600. Im taking a risk on the Manzo but its so cheap priced anyway wont be much of a loss. I can probably get it at wholesale. If I get the Manzo will let everyone know how it is!
Old 03-11-17, 07:38 PM
Ken167
Instructor

I work in auto sales if I have a good month then maybe I will get the Tanabe!
Old 03-12-17, 03:38 PM
Awd250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my tanabe last month and I personally like it. It's not to loud waking up neighbors and has a really good drone to it. I have my kidos in the car with me once in awhile and did t want that crazy loud exhaust.
Old 03-13-17, 05:18 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Love my tsudo. Affordable, attractive, sounds great while not being too loud.
Old 03-14-17, 01:09 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Looks like Ill be having a good sales month so I will be placing order for the Tanabe through STILLEN!
Old 03-19-17, 09:41 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Please advise!!

i have nvidia mid pipe and HKS hi-power. Which is the loudest catback combo. It has some drone if you stay around 2.5k rpm. But anything over 3k rpm, it sounds beautiful. i know it's not the brands you're asking about but you can scale it to your desired catback.

Honestly, any OEM to aftermarket exhaust will be loud. It's a lot louder in your car cabin than outside. I drove by cops all the time and it's a reasonable loudness, never pulled over. It's definitely loud but not intrusively loud, if that makes sense to you.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Getting Tanabe and Invidia