Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OVTuning Hand held tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 02:57 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by B00M3R
thanks man, updating as I type this. will report after.

Edit: damn its a huge update. been updating for 10 minutes.

Yeah it took a while for mine to update also. Well I just tried it earlier no good same error.
Old 03-17-17, 03:23 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tlts82
Yeah it took a while for mine to update also. Well I just tried it earlier no good same error.

Yep same here, super frustrating.
Old 03-17-17, 03:38 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=B00M3R;9804818]Yep same here, super frustrating.[/QUOTE

Indeed, I've should have of just ordered a Tanabe exhaust. I emailed him Wednesday for a follow up. No response since then. Hope they are working on a fix.
Old 03-18-17, 05:52 PM
B00M3R
Driver

[QUOTE=tlts82;9804828]
Yep same here, super frustrating.[/QUOTE

Indeed, I've should have of just ordered a Tanabe exhaust. I emailed him Wednesday for a follow up. No response since then. Hope they are working on a fix.
I emailed Wed as well and was told our device just needs to be added to the database and that they would have it done in the morning. Obviously it still hasn't happened yet.
I have emailed twice since and still haven't heard a word. I think they grew to fast to be able to keep up with the demand. Sad at this point because I really want to support this company but this is ridiculous.
Old 03-19-17, 12:47 AM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like some sh1tty service
Old 03-20-17, 04:57 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexSense
I have the OVTuned handheld flashing tablet thingamajig

Works great! It's much more portable than carrying around a laptop or tablet.
The power source all comes from the obd2 connection so no worrying about having to charge tablet/laptop battery.

It does take a good 3-5 mins to flash the complete tune over and sadly there's no data logging capabilities.
The interface is nice and simple though and can pull trouble codes.
It can hold 5 tunes + stock - which also makes it great for flashing the e85 tune over (I've not yet tried e85, it's on my to do once I'v gone through most of this tank).

Overall very happy with the device
You didn't have any issues at all? Connecting to the ecu, and retrieving your stock data?
Old 03-20-17, 05:53 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't have any issues at all? Connecting to the ecu, and retrieving your stock data?
Correct, I had sent them my ecu prior to getting the tablet and so I think I was already in the system. (3is though)
Do both of you guys who are waiting on the update have the same ECU part number?
Old 03-20-17, 06:28 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexSense
Correct, I had sent them my ecu prior to getting the tablet and so I think I was already in the system. (3is though)
Do both of you guys who are waiting on the update have the same ECU part number?
I have ECU # 89661-53G20
Old 03-20-17, 07:13 PM
B00M3R
Driver

I have ECU # 89661-53G20
almost the same

ECU # 89661-53C10

I finally received an email from Mathew today asking to verify this number so he could get it added.
Old 03-21-17, 07:41 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

almost the same

ECU # 89661-53C10

I finally received an email from Mathew today asking to verify this number so he could get it added.
Well that's good. I still haven't heard from him. Let's see what happens by the end of the week. For the amount these things run for. I would expect they were ready to go.
Old 03-21-17, 09:16 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Well that's good. I still haven't heard from him. Let's see what happens by the end of the week. For the amount these things run for. I would expect they were ready to go.
Got this email yesterday. I will update when I get anthing else.

"Hello,
I am sorry to get back to you so late on this. I've been working non stop updating all of our platforms, sorry to keep you waiting. Could you possibly get me your ECU part numbers once more? just the numbers on your ECU for example : 89661-55555".. trying to figure out why this wont add in and this will help me finalize"
Old 03-26-17, 03:35 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Got this email yesterday. I will update when I get anthing else.

"Hello,
I am sorry to get back to you so late on this. I've been working non stop updating all of our platforms, sorry to keep you waiting. Could you possibly get me your ECU part numbers once more? just the numbers on your ECU for example : 89661-55555".. trying to figure out why this wont add in and this will help me finalize"
B00M3R,

Anymore feed back? I'm still waiting never got a reply since the last time I emailed OVT.
Old 03-31-17, 12:12 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a great Facebook messenger chat with OV on Wednesday to help me decide if I should buy the handheld tuner and got some details on its capabilities for the 2IS! If you experience slow response to emails, I would recommend trying Facebook chat instead. The extremely long full chat log (minus some personal details) is below for those interested. I am very impressed with all they are offering for the 2IS platform, especially considering its age!

Summary: OV is not a forum sponsor so if you want updates directly from them check their Facebook page. E85 tune (on stock fuel pump) with increased torque, 93 octane, and 91 octane tunes are all available. They have a development 3IS with 5k miles on E85 tune with the stock fuel pump. Upshift maps with increased RPM limiter up to 7400rpm (only works in S mode), torque control for shift speed (faster slightly harsher upshifts), and top speed limiter increase to 255kph (158.45mph) are available for the 2IS. The handheld can swap between different tunes with different option combinations. For example: E85 tune with 7200rpm limiter and upshift maps and torque control can be swapped with 93 octane tune with 7000rpm limiter and regular upshift behavior using the handheld (+3 more option combinations). Future standard tune updates are included in the original price. Also cam and ported cylinder head info is coming soon!

OV
with E85 you can expect a big jump in torque. top end horsepower depends on modifications
we can tune some parameters for the transmission in the 2IS

Me
I just have intake and catback exhaust.
Any dyno sheets available or other ways to quantify a big jump?

OV
I do not have any E85 dyno sheets available at this time sorry

Me
No worries
Is the stock fuel pump able to handle the increased fuel volume for E85?

OV
yes

Me
For 2IS IS350 specifically

OV
yes it should have no problem
we have been running E85 in our development car for months, no problem at all

Me
Ok great, is it a 2IS also?

OV
3IS
but majority of everything is identical

Me
Have you run it on any tracks?

OV
No, we street test our car for reliability.
making a track tune and track vehicle is easy
but how many peoples lexus are dedicated track cars? not many

Me
agreed

OV
so we develop our product with daily driven intentions.
Our daily / DD map would have no problem on a track

Me
Do you do much WOT with the development car?

OV
yes
we have over 7000 miles just on the dyno

Me
wow that is impressive
What % ethanol does the E85 tune target? I have read that it can very per batch/fuel station so a lot of people use flex fuel sensors.
I understand it is possible to test the fuel manually which would probably be more practical than trying to integrate an E85 sensor without having a standalone aftermarket ECU.

OV
It can vary but the ecu can correct for pretty big swings, up to 30%. And MBT. Is possible with E50

Me
What does MBT stand for?

OV
maximum brake torque
AKA maximum possible power

Me
Are there other benefits if the fuel is more than 50% ethanol?

OV
not really no
but we tune for what is given at the pump rather than trying to mix it to E50

Me
Ok so is that equivalent to leaving some margin for fuel % variance?
*ethanol %

OV
right
we have a few people on our E85 tune with no problems

Me
And with the handheld tuner I could switch between E85 and 93 octane tunes whenever I fill up from an empty tank right?

OV
yes correct

Me
Also would I need to drain the fuel tank/lines when switching between E85 and 93 tunes?

OV
you don't have to switch anything
we explain the process for it to our customers who elect to use E85

Me
You mentioned transmission tuning for 2IS, what options are available specifically?

OV
torque control for shift speed and upshift maps

Me
could you explain what those mean a little more?
I saw mention of faster shift speed with increased harshness but I think that was on the 3IS tune page.

OV
okay basically the upshift maps control when the car upshifts on it's own
and yes so it will shift faster
it does increase the harshness a little yes

Me
Think it will wear out the transmission faster?

OV
I dont think so
this same transmission is used in the v8 vehicles

Me
do the upshift maps correspond with the rpm limiter increase?

OV
yes

Me
With the increased limiter, does the transmission behave any differently when in normal "D" mode vs. S mode that has the manual gear limiters? What about PWR mode & traction/VSC completely off vs. all traction control on?

OV
the RPM limit increase is for S mode only
D mode will be normal dirving
PWR mode as well yes
traction on / off modes are not related to the transmission
traction control is controlled by the engine throttlebody

Me
I have an ISF steering/traction control ECU that engages the less invasive traction control when the IS350 is in PWR mode, think that would cause any issues with the tune?

OV
no it wont

Me
Is it possible to mix/match the options for the available handheld tuner slots say E85 with increased rpm limit, upshift maps, and faster shifts, 93 octane with the same added options, another 93 with everything except faster shifts, and another 93 with stock limiter?

OV
yes
I can do up to 5 maps
just tell me what you want them to be
and I can explain what we can offer / mix and match together
but mainly torque control maps, upshift maps, the tune (camshaft, ignition, fueling, ) RPM limts, etc

Me
Can the top speed limiter be removed? I saw someone on clublexus claiming you had removed it for them but I am sure that is not easy to verify.

OV
it can't be removed completely but it can be raised
the maximum limit of 255 KPH

Me
Interesting, sounds like they used an unsigned byte to store the speed limiter value.
Did you test setting it to 0?

OV
it is unsigned 8 bit
I have not tried setting to -
the ECU kills throttle once you're above the speed limiter
but I can test

Me
I wonder if 0 would be equivalent to no limiter.
You can test if you want to, just a thought.
Mind if I post our chat to the ClubLexus forum thread? Some people (myself included) have been watching it without seeing too many updates the past few months.

OV
sure
we have been posting many updates on this facebook page
we are just not a forum sponsor
so we cannot post there.

Me
ok thanks, hopefully that will help some people who are on the fence

OV
we have also just been really swamped with orders through the new year
and are now finally catching everything up

Me
I really appreciate your time.
Also forgot to ask, do you know how many of the miles on your test 3IS were with E85 and/or the RPM limiter increase?

OV
I will be able to find the emails no worries.
we have had about 5000 miles on E85 so far

Me
Did you run the rpm limiter increase on the test car? If yes, what did you change the limit to?
I remember seeing someone mention a cam in development to enable an even larger rpm limit increase.

OV
yes I still have it on our car all the time. 7400 RPM
actually we will have our cam specs released very very soon
our cam machine shop has been very backed up with work
but we should have details in about a week
including ported cylinder heads

Me
cool, any dyno results from those yet or still in production?

OV
still in production

Me
Do you data log test car? I think my OBD bluetooth adapter can display AFR and I would want to know the minimum safe # for that so I can verify my fuel system is keeping up if I start running E85.

OV
if you can datalog via bluetooth and submit your logs to us we can dial your tunes in even better

Me
I also remember some guys with the ISF posted about swapping in the shorter rear diff from the IS350 for drag racing and they were hitting a limiter at around 130mph actual speed. Idk if the indicated speed was off or if it was limiting based on gear + rpm.
Do you know if the ISF has a different limiting system than the IS350. Seems like at least the number storage type is a different number of bits since they advertise 168 mph (270 km/h) top speed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s350-diff.html

OV
it's not different.
we have a customer with a IS350 with the rear swapped, same problem

Me
Oh I didn't know shorter rear gears than the stock ones in the IS350 were available. Do you know where it is from?
OV
I do not unfortunately sorry

Me
Is there any way to have the 2IS use the paddles to select a single gear rather than being top gear limiters? Suprise downshifts from 3rd to 2nd when tracking out of some corners are not enjoyable.

OV
I am not sure it is possible to change how the paddleshifters work

Last edited by andper10; 03-31-17 at 12:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by andper10:
buister (04-02-17), LexSense (03-31-17), redspencer (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 07:38 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Well if you get the handheld let's see if it works out of the box. All of the bench tunes we know they work. Many members have already had them with no issues. I also asked questions about it would work on my is250. OV was very friendly to answer all my questions up until the handheld was not working. It's been 3 weeks since I've got it. Still I can't even get an answer for the ETA on the fix. What's the difference from sending a FB message to responding to a simple email?
Old 03-31-17, 05:31 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Post from @andper10
Me
Do you data log test car? I think my OBD bluetooth adapter can display AFR and I would want to know the minimum safe # for that so I can verify my fuel system is keeping up if I start running E85.

OV
if you can datalog via bluetooth and submit your logs to us we can dial your tunes in even better
I never thought of data logging via bluetooth - thats a darn good idea as I have the Torque app for that!

Post from @andper10
Me
I also remember some guys with the ISF posted about swapping in the shorter rear diff from the IS350 for drag racing and they were hitting a limiter at around 130mph actual speed. Idk if the indicated speed was off or if it was limiting based on gear + rpm.
Do you know if the ISF has a different limiting system than the IS350. Seems like at least the number storage type is a different number of bits since they advertise 168 mph (270 km/h) top speed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...s350-diff.html

OV
it's not different.
we have a customer with a IS350 with the rear swapped, same problem

Me
Oh I didn't know shorter rear gears than the stock ones in the IS350 were available. Do you know where it is from?
OV
I do not unfortunately sorry
This reference would be to me, as I have swapped the 2is 4.083 gearing to the 3is 350 gearing and had a speed limiter max out at around 110mph in 6th, 7th, and 8th gear. I was the one who prompted them to look into the speed limiter, and hence the 255kph value discovery.

Check out my build thread for some info regarding the diff swap effects on the 3is.
Good suggestion on the zero value setting! - May have to try that!

Thanks for posting that up andper10. Gave me some great ideas to follow up with OV Tuned.

Quick Reply: OVTuning Hand held tuner