Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OVTuning Hand held tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 09:14 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
I have an extra ECU, I can set the vin to match your car and you can try to see if that works. It is from an 06/07 IS350, I can't remember which year but the ECU works, it is what I used when I sent out my ECU for the initial bench flash.
Thanks for the offer, but I have a 250.

I just hope they can source an ECU. Another member got the same handheld and never had to send his ecu in. It's just ridiculous that they say it can be done. Why not just post up which ecu's have working calibrations. Instead of taking your money and finding out issues.
Old 06-16-17, 09:12 AM
TunaMLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the threadhijack,I want to clarify since I am interested in the handheld tune for 2007 is350. You would just buy the handheld tune from OV and then connect the device to the OBD port and transfer tuning files to your ecu? This is for "never been tuned" option.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-17, 09:23 PM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

Originally Posted by TunaMLS
Sorry for the threadhijack,I want to clarify since I am interested in the handheld tune for 2007 is350. You would just buy the handheld tune from OV and then connect the device to the OBD port and transfer tuning files to your ecu? This is for "never been tuned" option.

Thanks,
Pretty sure you still have to send in your ECU before the handheld can flash it. The only tune without the need to send in your ECU is the VR tuned flash.
Old 06-23-17, 09:11 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OV Tuned has come out with the handheld, I know because I have it.
Old 06-28-17, 10:51 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Well I've decided to sell my Handheld. OVT said this morning they can't get hold of my ECU calibration file. Best thing to do is send my ECU in. Since it's my daily I decided not to. I have an AWD I'm sure not many people looking to tune it. As for the RWD model OVT has done many.

It's 4Sale here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ner-500-a.html
Old 06-30-17, 08:12 AM
solomaniac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone can help me out its much appreciated...

2012 IS 350 F-Sport owner - I in fact did purchase the OV Handheld Never before tuned option and am about to go pick it up at the post office now. I can't seem to find a ton of specific information on some key aspects of it as far as such: in order to have my specific tune on my vehicle I will need to record my stock ECU info from my vehicle onto the handheld, then upload info from handheld onto my laptop and send files in an email to OV and wait for them to create a tune for my one and only vehicle, correct? Two important questions (as of now) in which I don't want to bug OV about is #1 is there a baseline tune on the handheld which I will be putting onto my vehicle right off the bat? So I can at least have something or do I have to wait for a tune based off of my stock ecu...basically wait for them to create a tune for me??

#2 is if my laptop is a mac running OS X it won't open the handheld software from the OV website because it says OS X can't open windows files...Theres got to be another way as I'm assuming some of you all have to be running OS X right? Thanks!!
Old 07-01-17, 09:05 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by solomaniac
If anyone can help me out its much appreciated...

2012 IS 350 F-Sport owner - I in fact did purchase the OV Handheld Never before tuned option and am about to go pick it up at the post office now. I can't seem to find a ton of specific information on some key aspects of it as far as such: in order to have my specific tune on my vehicle I will need to record my stock ECU info from my vehicle onto the handheld, then upload info from handheld onto my laptop and send files in an email to OV and wait for them to create a tune for my one and only vehicle, correct? Two important questions (as of now) in which I don't want to bug OV about is #1 is there a baseline tune on the handheld which I will be putting onto my vehicle right off the bat? So I can at least have something or do I have to wait for a tune based off of my stock ecu...basically wait for them to create a tune for me??

#2 is if my laptop is a mac running OS X it won't open the handheld software from the OV website because it says OS X can't open windows files...Theres got to be another way as I'm assuming some of you all have to be running OS X right? Thanks!!
To answer #1:
The handheld does not come with a base tune as the file you will be sending to OV tuning will basically be the file that will get uploaded to a database and allow you to use the handheld on your specific vehicle.
Once the handheld with your vin # is registered, they will create a tune package for you and give you up to 5 tunes of your choosing (+ your stock backup file making 6 total).
Note that in order to extract the saved vehicle file from the handheld you will need the software (the same one to upload your tune package back onto the handheld as well).

#2: Not sure about Mac OS X compatibility, but in worse case scenario, I'm sure there should be ways for you to either emulate or run windows on your Mac.

Hope that helps
Old 07-01-17, 02:44 PM
solomaniac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexSense
To answer #1:
The handheld does not come with a base tune as the file you will be sending to OV tuning will basically be the file that will get uploaded to a database and allow you to use the handheld on your specific vehicle.
Once the handheld with your vin # is registered, they will create a tune package for you and give you up to 5 tunes of your choosing (+ your stock backup file making 6 total).
Note that in order to extract the saved vehicle file from the handheld you will need the software (the same one to upload your tune package back onto the handheld as well).

#2: Not sure about Mac OS X compatibility, but in worse case scenario, I'm sure there should be ways for you to either emulate or run windows on your Mac.

Hope that helps
Helps Tremendously!! Thanks man and that was the consensus I had come too, but just seeing that you know what you're talking about with the OV install tune etc is awesome because well i'm stuck!! LOL - Bottom line it won't record my stock ECU info....

Current situation, so others know too is you:

1. Software cannot run on Mac. I went out and bought a low end HP laptop with windows which is fine, could use a separate one anyways but it worked with updating handheld and is software is operational on the laptop so that parts all good there but moving on...

2. Handheld still will not record my stock ECU info. When I go to select my vehicle on the handheld Car - Lexus - IS - then the engine but it has 8-10 of the same name specs, assuming those are different ECU types that a tune has been created for. It continuously says "Warning No Calibration File Found...383D5000" and won't record my stock info. Ive tried recording it on pretty sure all of the different options, but yeah it won't record my stock info

Im assuming its possibly because OV has never made a tune before specifically for my version of the ECU?? Hoping that's not the case...Im stuck any helps appreciated. Cant send them stock info if I can't record it!!

Anyone??
Old 07-01-17, 03:44 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

That's the case you have to email him a picture of your ECU. You have to wait until they are able to get it added in their system. Some members had it done in 1 month, others a little longer. Worst case scenario your gonna need to send in your ECU. I've had mine for 4 months because it's an AWD. Nobody is in s hurry to tune it. At this point it's 4 sale in the classifieds. If no ones buys it. I'll just purchase an ECU that matches my part#, and send them so they can update.

For people wanting to buy this handheld from OVT. Make sure you ask if your ECU Part# is in the system already. It will save you a lot headaches.
Old 07-28-17, 01:51 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, sorry. I've read through this whole thread, but I'm still a little confused. Does your car have to be previously tuned by OV to be capable of using this handheld tuner or can you pickup this handheld to start the tuning process?

Also, what are the reviews regarding the performance improvements? How big of a difference are you guys seeing?
Old 07-28-17, 02:14 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Ok, sorry. I've read through this whole thread, but I'm still a little confused. Does your car have to be previously tuned by OV to be capable of using this handheld tuner or can you pickup this handheld to start the tuning process?

Also, what are the reviews regarding the performance improvements? How big of a difference are you guys seeing?
Car doesn't have to be previously tuned by them like in the past but that's contingent on them having tuned your specific ecu before to add it to the library, else you have to send it in I believe.
Old 07-28-17, 09:15 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

^ Aspect is correct.
The ECU must be in their database already. You may confirm by taking a picture of the ECU part number on the side of the ECU (with a properly focused camera it should be doable without having to remove all of the wiring).

I'm on their e85 7400 rpm tune and it's a very noticeable improvement. Even the 93 octane pump gas tune is already a significant change.
However, do keep in mind that I am on the 3rd gen is350.

I am also waiting for their flex fuel kit to arrive so that I may receive the full unlocked potential of e85.
I'll try to dyno before and after by flashing back to stock whenever the kit arrives.
Old 07-30-17, 07:07 PM
blessed714
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexSense
^ Aspect is correct.
The ECU must be in their database already. You may confirm by taking a picture of the ECU part number on the side of the ECU (with a properly focused camera it should be doable without having to remove all of the wiring).

I'm on their e85 7400 rpm tune and it's a very noticeable improvement. Even the 93 octane pump gas tune is already a significant change.
However, do keep in mind that I am on the 3rd gen is350.

I am also waiting for their flex fuel kit to arrive so that I may receive the full unlocked potential of e85.
I'll try to dyno before and after by flashing back to stock whenever the kit arrives.
I'm really considering getting the tablet and the flex fuel kit just as you have. I have an is250 and I'd love to get this done. Where are you getting your flex fuel kit from by any chance?
Old 07-30-17, 09:50 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blessed714
I'm really considering getting the tablet and the flex fuel kit just as you have. I have an is250 and I'd love to get this done. Where are you getting your flex fuel kit from by any chance?
From their website
https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...-tuner-package

I'd confirm compatibility with them first though just to make sure.