Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TTFS ECU upgrade help

Old 02-08-17, 06:56 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTFS ECU upgrade help

i followed the instructions, updated the software and device, but when I plug into my car, I never get to the "protocol identify" stage so that I can proceed with ECU reading process. Instead it just stays in "operation in progress" state for over 30 minutes. Does it really take this long? I've unplugged it and reupdated and tried several times with the same result. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 02-08-17, 07:04 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

Why not contact TTFS and get them to walk you through the procedure? After all, you paid them good money for it!
Old 02-08-17, 09:03 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Unfortunately I didn't mess around with it until mid afternoon pacific time so by the time I emailed them it was too late as they are eastern time. Will call them tomorrow but I was hoping someone might have some advice. You best believe I'm going to get the support I need at this price.
Old 02-08-17, 09:13 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like the same thing I went through with RR Racing OBD tune. After many calls and emails they could not make it work, so I returned the box. I don't think any of these guys ever got it to work for the 2IS. RR pulled this thing off their website for our cars. It looks like they got it to work for the 3IS though. I recommend you go with OrangeVirus Tuning ECU flash. I sent my ECU in and got it back in 2 days. It works like a charm. I love the way the car is running now.
Old 02-08-17, 09:42 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by buister
Sounds like the same thing I went through with RR Racing OBD tune. After many calls and emails they could not make it work, so I returned the box. I don't think any of these guys ever got it to work for the 2IS. RR pulled this thing off their website for our cars. It looks like they got it to work for the 3IS though. I recommend you go with OrangeVirus Tuning ECU flash. I sent my ECU in and got it back in 2 days. It works like a charm. I love the way the car is running now.
I didn't realize RR Racing pulled their 2gen IS350 tune because a couple weeks back I asked them if they had one for the 250 and they said no but I believe the 350 one was still up. Damn, I thought TTFS was one of the only places that had it figured out, and the only one that offers a completely remote tune.

Thanks for the advice on the OrangeVirus product, will take a look at it. Was hoping not to have to send the ECU in, can't afford the down time on my car. Do you know if you take your car to the dealer and they do an update, will it erase your tune? For the TTFS they say to restore to the stock tune prior to service in order to avoid losing the changes made by the tune and then reflashing so I guess that can be a real problem.
Old 02-08-17, 10:21 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

You can opt for obd flashing with orange virus. I have flashed my ecu maybe 6-7 times without trouble.
Old 02-09-17, 05:26 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by DickH
I have flashed my ecu maybe 6-7 times without trouble.
Via the OBDII port device?
Old 02-09-17, 09:41 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, but not with the new mini tablet thing.
Old 02-17-17, 12:24 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did it cost for the OBDII tuning device and are you able to flash it back to stock? Can't access their site on work computer...
Old 02-21-17, 10:34 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

I had to have the device reset by TTFS. A new code was requested and I had to update the device and software. It was finally able to read the ECU and could actually download the file from the device. I sent it to TTFS so I hope the tune will work.
Old 02-23-17, 06:53 PM
Gville350

Progress...yay!
Old 03-25-17, 10:30 AM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Progress...yay!
Unfortunately it never worked out after 1.5 months. Apparently the third party manufacturer of the handheld device DimSport controls the processing/handling of the ECU tune files (uploading to their server) and there is no way to find out when or if a tune will be uploaded.

Not sure what to do now because I really want the tune but I see that some OrangeVirus customers are having issues with their handhelds/remote tunes as well.
Old 03-26-17, 03:31 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 764 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by edhohoho
Unfortunately it never worked out after 1.5 months. Apparently the third party manufacturer of the handheld device DimSport controls the processing/handling of the ECU tune files (uploading to their server) and there is no way to find out when or if a tune will be uploaded.

Not sure what to do now because I really want the tune but I see that some OrangeVirus customers are having issues with their handhelds/remote tunes as well.
Well I'm one of those guys having issues. It's been about 2 weeks since I got it. Orange Virus must of been monitoring the tracking. Because as soon I received it I got an email from them with a PDF on how the process works. It all went well until I got an error code about calibration error. I notified him immediately and he responded right away. Asking what the problem was. I let him know and he replied next night asking the ECU number. Since then it has gone dead no communication at all. No follow up emails at least stating if they are working on it at all. To me it seems that these handhelds don't work. It's more like BETA testing as someone purchases them. My understanding why they are requesting ECU part numbers. If I was you wait it out to see if they have a fix before going with OVT. Maybe your best bet it to send them your ECU. It seems they are great with that platform bench tune.
Old 03-27-17, 07:06 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by tlts82
Well I'm one of those guys having issues. It's been about 2 weeks since I got it. Orange Virus must of been monitoring the tracking. Because as soon I received it I got an email from them with a PDF on how the process works. It all went well until I got an error code about calibration error. I notified him immediately and he responded right away. Asking what the problem was. I let him know and he replied next night asking the ECU number. Since then it has gone dead no communication at all. No follow up emails at least stating if they are working on it at all. To me it seems that these handhelds don't work. It's more like BETA testing as someone purchases them. My understanding why they are requesting ECU part numbers. If I was you wait it out to see if they have a fix before going with OVT. Maybe your best bet it to send them your ECU. It seems they are great with that platform bench tune.
Thanks for your message. I previously asked a few questions about the tune and he recommended a remote tune. But I just emailed OrangeVirus again because I live reasonably close so I was hoping go to the shop to do a bench tune and if they can make sure the handheld works, I will take that as well. Let's see what happens. This would pretty much be the last thing and my car will be done...unless I decide to do an LSD.