Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Orange Virus Tuning "handheld tuner"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 05:25 PM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcar1
Can't comment on the handheld but did get the stage 2 throttle + Sport bench tune from OV on my 14 IS250 F Sport about a month ago and also had the rev limiter raised to 7200. Other mods are Invidia axel back exhaust and Takeda Intake, the only one I felt a difference with performance was the tune. The throttle response is nice, the car downshifts perfectly and jumps every time I put the petal down. I know my car will never be a 350 but it definitely has more torque and horsepower after the tune. I am sure the effect on a 350 would be much better and would highly recommend to anyone thinking about it.
Remove your takeda and put oem on. I just removed my greddy and it is much smoother now.
Old 01-20-17, 09:01 PM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the handheld will always be connected to the car? Or is a process which it gets connect to the car one time to tune the car?
Old 01-21-17, 07:44 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Miggy2349
Is the handheld will always be connected to the car? Or is a process which it gets connect to the car one time to tune the car?
no...handheld tune is downloaded through the odb port. typically it copies the stock tune for future redownload...don't know if that's the case with this one though.
Old 01-21-17, 08:44 AM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gbgary
no...handheld tune is downloaded through the odb port. typically it copies the stock tune for future redownload...don't know if that's the case with this one though.
so that means i can pay somebody who has the handheld to tune my car right? Instead of me buying the handheld
Old 01-21-17, 08:59 AM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so that means i can pay somebody who has the handheld to tune my car right? Instead of me buying the handheld
You can either send in your ECU for him to benchflash it (tune) and he will send it back to you or purchase the handheld with the tune files on it, then plug into your OBD port to load the tune.

Gettting the handheld will allow you to change your car back to stock and hold multiple tune files.

You can probably pay someone who already has the handheld with tune to do your car. I'm not sure if anyone has the handheld yet though.
Old 01-21-17, 09:01 AM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerxiong89
Remove your takeda and put oem on. I just removed my greddy and it is much smoother now.
I had a JoeZ intake w/ K&N filter that was installed when I first got the tune and drove it for a week then switched to the Takeda. I logged horsepower, torque, throttle response, mpg, etc. with Torque Pro app and OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor. While I don't trust the actual values (whp seems too high) , the Takeda numbers were noticeably better then the JoeZ setup. Never thought about trying the stock setup but will give it a go, thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by Jcar1; 01-21-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-21-17, 10:29 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Usually No, they are registered to 1 vehicle at a time at the time of flash. You typically would have to completely un-mount the software from your vehicle to the handheld in order to use it on a different vehicle. At least that was case for Cobb's tuner.
Old 01-21-17, 10:45 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Usually No, they are registered to 1 vehicle at a time at the time of flash. You typically would have to completely un-mount the software from your vehicle to the handheld in order to use it on a different vehicle. At least that was case for Cobb's tuner.
correct. they're typically vin number specific. a tuner wouldn't be in business very long if he didn't put some sort of security on the tune to keep multiple people from using it.

Last edited by gbgary; 01-21-17 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 01:31 AM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cthan3o3
You can either send in your ECU for him to benchflash it (tune) and he will send it back to you or purchase the handheld with the tune files on it, then plug into your OBD port to load the tune.

Gettting the handheld will allow you to change your car back to stock and hold multiple tune files.

You can probably pay someone who already has the handheld with tune to do your car. I'm not sure if anyone has the handheld yet though.
No the handheld will be married to the car. Can't do that. You can unmarried it but it will have to go through ov for that.
Old 01-22-17, 01:35 AM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jcar1
I had a JoeZ intake w/ K&N filter that was installed when I first got the tune and drove it for a week then switched to the Takeda. I logged horsepower, torque, throttle response, mpg, etc. with Torque Pro app and OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor. While I don't trust the actual values (whp seems too high) , the Takeda numbers were noticeably better then the JoeZ setup. Never thought about trying the stock setup but will give it a go, thanks for the recommendation.
The Takeda lost 10 whp on the dyno i believe. Stock intake with a drop in filter would be best. My car feels so much better now.
Old 01-22-17, 06:47 AM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gerxiong89
No the handheld will be married to the car. Can't do that. You can unmarried it but it will have to go through ov for that.

good to know. Do you have any vids with the tune?
Old 01-22-17, 12:16 PM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cthan3o3
good to know. Do you have any vids with the tune?
It's on my build page. I still need to rerun my buddy after the tune. I'll remake one later in car with my stock intake.
Old 01-22-17, 06:47 PM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

i would only buy a tune for my car if it only alters when is on sport mode, is that possible? leaving the stock settings for eco?
Old 01-22-17, 06:53 PM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

i would only buy a tune for my car if it only alters when is on sport mode, is that possible? leaving the stock settings for eco?
I'm pretty sure they can tune it to your liking.
Old 03-28-17, 02:04 PM
LuisRo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone has an update on how the OV Tuning is working for your 3IS?

Quick Reply: Orange Virus Tuning "handheld tuner"