Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

50mm Wastegate removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 04:34 PM
Wheel_Man
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 50mm Wastegate removal

Hey Guys,
I recently purchased a GS3 NA-T and the wastegate went bad. My question is, do I have to pull the entire turbo kit to change it? It's an HKS style 4 bolt wastegate. It seems very hard to get to the bolts closer to the block without pulling out the header and all. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-02-17, 12:02 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel_Man
Hey Guys,
I recently purchased a GS3 NA-T and the wastegate went bad. My question is, do I have to pull the entire turbo kit to change it? It's an HKS style 4 bolt wastegate. It seems very hard to get to the bolts closer to the block without pulling out the header and all. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much!!!
It's gonna be a ***** both to get to and to loosen as it runs so hot those bolts are usually seized.

I would just take the time to pull the turbo and manifold off, it's not that bad. Then buy a V-Band mounted Tial, and since the manifold is off you can cut off the 4 bolt and weld on a vband flange. Then you won't have any issues taking it off in the future, and with the v-band you can rotate the valve into the best direction for clearance and if making a dump tube for it you'll have more placement options and forgiveness in making the pipe angles work.

Even if the 4-bolt WG was an authentic HKS they had issues sticking or leaking after being on the car for a while and WG's have come a long way since... Get a Tial MV-R 44mm v-band it flows as much as and is more responsive than as the old HKS 50. And the MV-R/MV-S series are VERY small in comparison to any older gates, giving plenty of clearance. But if you are making real big power and insist on bigger then you can go with the Tial V60, but the housing is getting very large again, it doesn't share the compact formfactor of the MV-S/R, so I wouldn't go with it unless you truly were making the power to require it.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 01-02-17 at 12:05 PM.