Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Modifying While Retaining CEL??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 02:14 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modifying While Retaining CEL??

Hey all,

I'm from the SC side, but have been entertaining the thought lately of building a turbo IS300. Only issue is that I would have to pass OBD2 emissions and inspection. So, my question is can one strap a turbo onto an IS and still be able to pass emissions when necessary?

My thought would be to use a piggyback such as maybe a MAPECU to retain the OEM ECU. I could bypass the MAF and convert to MAP based using the MAPECU connected via jumper harness, and then when the time comes just disconnect the jumper harness and go straight off of the OEM ECU and reconnect MAF and cruise it until my monitors clear then head for inspection. Obviously, I would have to drive very lightly to stay out of boost, but its fairly easy and quick to set the necessary monitors. I would also have to re-install OEM injectors too. Does all this sound feasible?

I would also want to upgrade the transmission to a CD009. I imagine that I would have to start with a manual transmission car so that the OEM ECU isn't trying to fire solenoids associated with an auto trans which would throw a CEL code when the auto trans is no longer there. But, are there any sensors or anything on the W55 transmission that the OEM ECU communicates with that would throw a code in the event that a CD009 was there instead?

Lastly, I would want to upgrade the block of the motor to probably a non VVTi 2JZ GE block. Would this throw a CEL code for anything? I would think not, as the non VVTi block I think would have the same sensors and such as the OEM IS block?

Thanks!!

Keith
Old 11-01-16, 09:15 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I heard standalone does not comply with ob2 and will not function .
Old 11-02-16, 08:38 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Piggybacks don't work with our cars. The canbus ecus learn to compensate for piggyback tunes over time, so you're forced to reset the ecu every 30 days or risk detonation under boost.
What does work is wiring the ecus in parallel. That means you need to wire an AEM or ProEFI in parallel to each other. The stock ecu will try to learn the tune but it won't be able to enforce it - the standalone has the fueling and ignition wires going to it.

As for the transmission, you should be ok swapping. I know a few guys who did the AR5 swap and they've had no issues whatsoever
Old 01-11-17, 09:10 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry guys, been a while since I checked on my post. Thanks for the replies