Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 0-60 time with RRracing tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 12:04 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
I am not so sure a 0-60 is the most appropriate measure of improvements from the tune. I think a better comparison would be something like 40-80 or something like that where you get a decent stretch through the RPMs.

My 40-60 is usually 2.2-2.3, 60-80 has usually been 2.9-3.3 and my couple runs to 100mph had the 80-100 at 4.7-4.8.
You bring up an interesting topic of discussion as I was reviewing my 40-60 time of 1.8-1.9 seconds vs your 40-60 times of 2.2-2.3 seconds.

I pulled up an old Road and Track comparison test which provides data to their recorded time of 4.9 seconds from 0-60 for the IS350. From evaluating R&T's 40-60 time, it comes up to being 2.2 seconds which is exactly what you are recording.

It seems that this tune can provide upwards of a 0.4 second improvement from 40-60 (and maybe a bit more with cooler temps).

Old 09-21-16, 10:14 PM
lexis35022
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all do I need besides the app for torque pro app to work?! Downloaded it,but seems like there's more to do than that! Sorry if a stupid question!
Old 09-22-16, 05:25 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by lexis35022
What all do I need besides the app for torque pro app to work?! Downloaded it,but seems like there's more to do than that! Sorry if a stupid question!
You'll need an OBDII Bluetooth scanner in order to have your Torque Pro app communicate with the ECU.

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet..._bs_15707591_1
Old 09-22-16, 06:53 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im actually gonna be buying the tune real soon after finally deciding to not get an ISF after all. It makes more sense for me to just stick with something I already own and continue my original build. The ISF will come later in the future (or better yet an M4 or something lol)

For now I'm thinking of finding a way to benefit the Is350 owners on the fence of buying this tune or not. So I'm glad to say that I will be going to the Sacramento 1/4 mile dragstrip soon to record a couple times before my tune and then again after the tune. This way we can all have an official way of knowing just exactly what we gain by tuning our cars. I have Joe Z intake, cat back exhaust, and lighter than stock 19's. BUT I'm running on a stretched 235 out back. But for the sake of testing I'll run through the 1/4 with the exact same setup before and after tuning to be safe instead of getting better tires or anything like that.

Look out for my thread in a few weeks!!
Old 09-22-16, 07:40 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
You bring up an interesting topic of discussion as I was reviewing my 40-60 time of 1.8-1.9 seconds vs your 40-60 times of 2.2-2.3 seconds.

I pulled up an old Road and Track comparison test which provides data to their recorded time of 4.9 seconds from 0-60 for the IS350. From evaluating R&T's 40-60 time, it comes up to being 2.2 seconds which is exactly what you are recording.

It seems that this tune can provide upwards of a 0.4 second improvement from 40-60 (and maybe a bit more with cooler temps).
I would be hesitant to think that .4 is a significant gain if most of it is due to dodging the shift that would happen anyway. What is your 40-60 with the normal shift points? I still think a comparison between a 40-80 with and without the extended revs might better show off what the tune has to offer. My stuff from orange virus tuning should show up today, I will try to get a handful of runs in this weekend before I get my PPE headers in.
Old 09-22-16, 08:18 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Im actually gonna be buying the tune real soon after finally deciding to not get an ISF after all. It makes more sense for me to just stick with something I already own and continue my original build. The ISF will come later in the future (or better yet an M4 or something lol)

For now I'm thinking of finding a way to benefit the Is350 owners on the fence of buying this tune or not. So I'm glad to say that I will be going to the Sacramento 1/4 mile dragstrip soon to record a couple times before my tune and then again after the tune. This way we can all have an official way of knowing just exactly what we gain by tuning our cars. I have Joe Z intake, cat back exhaust, and lighter than stock 19's. BUT I'm running on a stretched 235 out back. But for the sake of testing I'll run through the 1/4 with the exact same setup before and after tuning to be safe instead of getting better tires or anything like that.

youre such a good man! Ill wait for your review! And yeah im working towards m3 or gtr in the future too! Maybe 4 years or so lmao
Old 09-23-16, 12:09 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by DickH
I would be hesitant to think that .4 is a significant gain if most of it is due to dodging the shift that would happen anyway. What is your 40-60 with the normal shift points? I still think a comparison between a 40-80 with and without the extended revs might better show off what the tune has to offer.
I've always been under the impression that 60mph can be achieved at the peak of 2nd gear which coincides with what Gville350 mentioned in his previous post as well as data logged from the R&T archive I pulled up earlier which has the transmission reaching 61mph at 6700 RPMs:

Since the tune keeps the gear changes at the normal shift points when the transmission is in "D", I can try a few test runs in auto mode to see how it impacts the 40-60 time.
Old 09-23-16, 01:25 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For now I'm thinking of finding a way to benefit the Is350 owners on the fence of buying this tune or not. So I'm glad to say that I will be going to the
Sacramento 1/4 mile dragstrip soon to record a couple times before my tune and then again after the tune. This way we can all have an official way of knowing just exactly what we gain by tuning our cars. I have Joe Z intake, cat back exhaust, and lighter than stock 19's. BUT I'm running on a stretched 235 out back. But for the sake of testing I'll run through the 1/4 with the exact same setup before and after tuning to be safe instead of getting better tires or anything like that.

Who are you buying your tune from? RRracing is having trouble with their OBD unit right now so I cancelled my order once they told me about it.
Old 09-23-16, 01:38 PM
DickH
Intermediate

I've always been under the impression that 60mph can be achieved at the peak of 2nd gear which coincides with what Gville350 mentioned in his previous post as well as data logged from the R&T archive I pulled up earlier which has the transmission reaching 61mph at 6700 RPMs:

Since the tune keeps the gear changes at the normal shift points when the transmission is in "D", I can try a few test runs in auto mode to see how it impacts the 40-60 time.
You are probably right, but when I log a pull with my car it will read 59mph when I bounce off of the top of second.
Old 09-23-16, 05:12 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Are you doing your runs with ECT power on? It's been reported that the transmission will upshift early at 6500 RPM while in ECT PWR mode instead of 6700 RPM while in normal mode. Perhaps this is the case?
Old 09-23-16, 05:33 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2
Who are you buying your tune from? RRracing is having trouble with their OBD unit right now so I cancelled my order once they told me about it.
Oh man really? I was going through them since they have a good track record with us... Maybe I'll just wait then.
Old 09-23-16, 06:53 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Oh man really? I was going through them since they have a good track record with us... Maybe I'll just wait then.
Yeah I just emailed them today to check up on it again so hopefully we get some good news.
Old 09-23-16, 07:58 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Are you doing your runs with ECT power on? It's been reported that the transmission will upshift early at 6500 RPM while in ECT PWR mode instead of 6700 RPM while in normal mode. Perhaps this is the case?
That must be it, I just went through screenshots of several pulls and noticed the max RPM being in the mid 64xx range.

Edit
I was just out for a while trying to log some times and it seems like I cant get it to hit 60 in 2nd. I checked gps vs obd speed readings and it bounces between .5-1mph difference, my speedometer reads ~1-2mph faster than the obd reading. Car wants to shift into 3rd at ~6500rpms and even if I limit it to within 2nd gear I will bounce off the rev limiter before hitting 60. I can't get proper traction in first, even trying to launch off of idle my best 0-60 for the night was 5.7s, the best I have recorded is 5.4s. I guess my whatever-60 times before/after wont be any good.

Last edited by DickH; 09-24-16 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 07:05 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2
Yeah I just emailed them today to check up on it again so hopefully we get some good news.
Did they ever get back to you? Really wanna order that tune...
Old 09-27-16, 09:47 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Did they ever get back to you? Really wanna order that tune...
Yes, they responded to me last Friday. They project somewhere around 2 weeks till they can get the issue solved.

Quick Reply: IS350 0-60 time with RRracing tune