Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

07 IS350 Modding Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 11:50 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 07 IS350 Modding Questions

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I am new here, so please forgive my ignorance or lack of research on certain things.

Anyway, I am getting a 2007 IS350 in the span of the next 2 months with about 73,000 miles on it (took me an absolute eternity to actually find one with low miles, I didn't realize they were so rare in my area), and I had a few questions on modification to the much more experienced people here:

1. Over the spring of 2017 hopefully I want to begin modding the car. Not looking for a ridiculous increase on performance (maybe 30 - 60 bhp) I have seen supercharger kits go for $6,000 (HKS) and a Rotrex kit (but you have to get the parts yourself). I also heard that you can bolt on parts (PPE Headers, exhaust, F Sport intake, ECU tune, etc.) that will add some more hp to the car. If I were to get the latter, I'd get a Meisterschaft exhaust, PPE Headers, F Sport or Joe Z air intake, and an RR Racing or TTFS tune (if there is a better tune or exhaust out there please let me know). Because I will only have the money for one of these two, should I get the supercharger or get an exhaust, air intake, and tune up? And also to anyone who has the tune and used it for a few thousand miles, are there reliability issues with raising the redline to 7000?

2. I read somewhere here you could install the ISF steering ECU to improve steering performance. Is it a mod that is worth it? (i.e. how does it change the feel of the wheel, does it make it handle better, etc.)

I appreciate all the help I can get. I have done my research but there is a lot I don't know and I'm too excited so I don't want to make any wrong decisions.
Old 08-26-16, 12:25 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Welcome to the CL forums!

1. As one of the early birds with getting the ECU tune and the 7200 RPM redline, there have been no reliability issues with the raised redline. It was actually me who recommended to RR Racing that the 7200 RPM redline should be a safe option as the Lotus Evora and Evora S have been running 7200 RPM redlines on the 2GR-FE motor without issue for years.

If you're willing to wait for a couple of more months, RR-Racing might have a supercharger kit available for the 2006-2013 IS350:

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We are working on a tuned IS350 SC kit. In fact we recently bought a 2014 Fsport IS350. The SC kit will work with the 06-13 models as well, we would just need to get a local car in for tuning.
2. If greatly improved steering feel and feedback is a priority for you, I would highly recommend the 2011+ IS-F Steering ECU. It makes a noticeable difference with tactile feedback on what the tires are doing and the steering feels more direct as you turn the wheel an inch or a millimeter.

If you do end up getting the IS-F Steering ECU, I also recommend you swapping out the front LCA OEM bushings to an aftermarket option (either from RR-Racing or FIGS Engineering) as the combination will give you the steering feel of a sports car.
Old 08-26-16, 12:51 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd not spend the money on a S/C'r; not worth the slight bump in HP. If you want HP, hit it with a 100 shot with fail-safes for $1000-1200. A completely stock IS350 with a 100-shot has been told to me personally to have held up without any issues (trans, driveline, motor, etc).

I have PPE headers, and I highly recommend them. Same with the RR Racing front LCA bushing upgrade.
Old 08-26-16, 03:04 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redspencer
Welcome to the CL forums!

1. As one of the early birds with getting the ECU tune and the 7200 RPM redline, there have been no reliability issues with the raised redline. It was actually me who recommended to RR Racing that the 7200 RPM redline should be a safe option as the Lotus Evora and Evora S have been running 7200 RPM redlines on the 2GR-FE motor without issue for years.

If you're willing to wait for a couple of more months, RR-Racing might have a supercharger kit available for the 2006-2013 IS350:

2. If greatly improved steering feel and feedback is a priority for you, I would highly recommend the 2011+ IS-F Steering ECU. It makes a noticeable difference with tactile feedback on what the tires are doing and the steering feels more direct as you turn the wheel an inch or a millimeter.

If you do end up getting the IS-F Steering ECU, I also recommend you swapping out the front LCA OEM bushings to an aftermarket option (either from RR-Racing or FIGS Engineering) as the combination will give you the steering feel of a sports car.
Thank you very much! I am not planning on working on it soon anyway because I'll need to save up, but I'll keep the RR Racing SC (if its released) in mind if I decide to go that route. As for the tune, good to know you can safely rev over 7000 without worry. It probably sounds much better also.

Definitely have to get that steering mod. Should I go to a dealership and have them calibrate it or is it just plug and play?

Originally Posted by Gville350
I'd not spend the money on a S/C'r; not worth the slight bump in HP. If you want HP, hit it with a 100 shot with fail-safes for $1000-1200. A completely stock IS350 with a 100-shot has been told to me personally to have held up without any issues (trans, driveline, motor, etc).

I have PPE headers, and I highly recommend them. Same with the RR Racing front LCA bushing upgrade.
Didn't think about a nitrous system, I'll keep that in mind. I see a lot of people recommending the PPE headers so that will probably be one of the first things I do. Thank you.
Old 08-26-16, 06:04 PM
redspencer
OG Member

I'd not spend the money on a S/C'r; not worth the slight bump in HP.
We've yet to see what gains are possible when a proper ECU tune is incorporated with a supercharger as previous supercharger builds were utilizing the stock OEM maps (or with piggyback tunes). Even with those restrictions, I think we had a few members with heavily modified supercharger builds hitting around the 350rwhp mark, IIRK:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-dyno-d.html

Originally Posted by Rezno
Definitely have to get that steering mod. Should I go to a dealership and have them calibrate it or is it just plug and play?
If you have access to Techstream, you can calibrate the steering ECU yourself. Otherwise, it's best to take it to Lexus for them to calibrate it for you.

Last edited by redspencer; 08-26-16 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 12:49 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Alright thanks for all the help.
Old 08-29-16, 11:14 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We've yet to see what gains are possible when a proper ECU tune is incorporated with a supercharger as previous supercharger builds were utilizing the stock OEM maps (or with piggyback tunes). Even with those restrictions, I think we had a few members with heavily modified supercharger builds hitting around the 350rwhp mark, IIRK:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-dyno-d.htmlIf you have access to Techstream, you can calibrate the steering ECU yourself. Otherwise, it's best to take it to Lexus for them to calibrate it for you.
Hey Redspencer, just wondering. With the tune added to your car, has the exhaust note changed? Also does it pop more (assuming yours did it to begin with)? I'm about to order the tune this week hopefully by Friday as long as it stays on sale and was just wondering what other pleasant changes I get from the tune other than the increased redline. Also sorry for all the questions but have you done any comparisons on how much quicker the car accelerates with the tune vs stock? I've yet to see anyone post a drag time, acceleration video or anything at all really.
Old 08-30-16, 01:41 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

When I stated "a slight bump in HP", I should have stated it differently. Should of stated something like, the dollar-to-HP output margin is LARGE.
Old 08-30-16, 01:48 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

When I stated "a slight bump in HP", I should have stated it differently. Should of stated something like, the dollar-to-HP output margin is LARGE.
Hey are you tuned yet Gville?
Old 08-30-16, 01:50 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Tro209
Hey Redspencer, just wondering. With the tune added to your car, has the exhaust note changed? Also does it pop more (assuming yours did it to begin with)? I'm about to order the tune this week hopefully by Friday as long as it stays on sale and was just wondering what other pleasant changes I get from the tune other than the increased redline. Also sorry for all the questions but have you done any comparisons on how much quicker the car accelerates with the tune vs stock? I've yet to see anyone post a drag time, acceleration video or anything at all really.
Hey buddy, I haven't noticed any immediate difference with the exhaust note from idle to 6500RPM. The only big difference is the additional exhaust sounds up to the higher 7200 redline (which is very pleasing to the ear). I don't have any popping sounds or backfire coming from exhaust (before or after the tune).

I've been meaning to log my 0-60 time on my Torque App to see what it shows. I had to reset my ECU a few days ago as my battery was dying so the ECU is currently relearning its ignition timing based on the temperatures and fuel so after that's done with, I'll see if I can post something for you. I don't expect to see optimal times due to the high temperatures and humidity here in Florida but we'll see!

Yeah, that part is definitely true!
Old 08-30-16, 01:53 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Hey buddy, I haven't noticed any immediate difference with the exhaust note from idle to 6500RPM. The only big difference is the additional exhaust sounds up to the higher 7200 redline (which is very pleasing to the ear). I don't have any popping sounds or backfire coming from exhaust (before or after the tune).

I've been meaning to log my 0-60 time on my Torque App to see what it shows. I had to reset my ECU a few days ago as my battery was dying so the ECU is currently relearning its ignition timing based on the temperatures and fuel so after that's done with, I'll see if I can post something for you. I don't expect to see optimal times due to the high temperatures and humidity here in Florida but we'll see!Yeah, that part is definitely true!
Awesome thanks! Looking forward to it!
Old 08-30-16, 02:57 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Glad to hear you're going to get the ECU tune. It makes my daily drives very fun from stoplight to stoplight (especially in 1st gear).
Old 08-30-16, 07:43 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Glad to hear you're going to get the ECU tune. It makes my daily drives very fun from stoplight to stoplight (especially in 1st gear).
So there is noticeable improvement then.. Good. Would you say it's mostly only felt in the lower gears?

And yeah I'm excited to get it. But just waiting on my check this Friday to order it. Hopefully it stays on sale.
Old 08-31-16, 07:49 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Tro209
So there is noticeable improvement then.. Good. Would you say it's mostly only felt in the lower gears?

And yeah I'm excited to get it. But just waiting on my check this Friday to order it. Hopefully it stays on sale.
Yeah, the difference in throttle response and pull on 1st and 2nd gear are quite noticeable, especially when you get to take advantage of an extra 500-700 RPMs at the higher rev range. Since the gearing for 3rd and 4th gear aren't quite as aggressive as 1st/2nd gear, the gains aren't felt as much but assuming that the 10-15rwhp is still present, the car should still accelerate faster than without the tune.
Old 08-31-16, 05:08 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Yeah, the difference in throttle response and pull on 1st and 2nd gear are quite noticeable, especially when you get to take advantage of an extra 500-700 RPMs at the higher rev range. Since the gearing for 3rd and 4th gear aren't quite as aggressive as 1st/2nd gear, the gains aren't felt as much but assuming that the 10-15rwhp is still present, the car should still accelerate faster than without the tune.
Awesome! Also quick question. Since I'm ordering the handheld obd tune, how do I select what redline I want? It's not an option you can choose when placing the order

Quick Reply: 07 IS350 Modding Questions