Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 07:35 AM
ISKorey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Question

Hello everyone I'm new to the threads and new to Lexus, I have a 2002 IS300 5 speed with LSD. I got it for a steal and it had a few issues. It came with an Apexi neo afc, Intake and i think catback exhaust. I haven't checked if its axle back or catback. Anyway it was running like garbage so i pulled the AFC off and found that it wasn't causing my issue and that my MAF was bad. Once i replaced the MAF the car started running perfect, it starts has no hesitation like before and it doesn't puff smoke.

Now the question: I have worked on all sorts of cars for many years and have come across many different issues. As of lately ive been thinking of boosting it, as i came from a WRX before and miss the turbo lag. I was looking at a budget 5-7 psi maybe lower eBay kit for *****s and giggles. (I'm building a Honda and BMW as well so I'm keeping this budget) I read on some other forums that you can boost the stock 2jz-ge motor to max 7psi without tuning the ECU. Understandably the ECU will calibrate to an extent to compensate for extra air, however does anyone know the safe side and the extreme side to that? is there anyone out there running or has run stock ECU with light boost and has had success and not blown there motor up?
Old 10-12-16, 07:16 PM
stheodore
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It's hard to boost these cars on a budget, meaning anything under about $10k unless you do all the work yourself. Is it possible? Yes! Is it easy and something that many accomplish for that budget? No.

Realistically it's not a great platform to turbo 'on the cheap', but you can get away with a fair amount if you're bound and determined to do it that way. What I would do though, is to run a GTE (at least bottom end) with a stock Toyota ECU (even all JDM stuff, with 440cc injectors) and suffer with lots of dash lights and such than to turbocharge a GE block for cheap. Also, keeping the factory dual mass flywheel will help protect the W55 to a certain extent, but you'll need an aftermarket clutch in short order to handle any amount of torque. Keep us posted on your progress for sure, and best wishes to you.
Old 11-01-16, 09:25 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can definitely run the cxracing kit for the is300 . It's a solid kit and if the turbo ever goes out just replace it a quality turbo or screw it another cheapccx turbo. Plenty of people have had these turbo last and make decent power. Run a piggy back and call it a day. 300whp will be fine on the stock motor and equipment.

If your looking for more then you'd need the essentials, TT ecu or standalone, fuel delivery, head gasket, and some better engine management.

Last edited by Golden95SC; 11-01-16 at 09:29 AM.