Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: What mods have you done?
No mods that would effect the idle
58.41%
Torque Converter
2.65%
Intake w/o ECU
15.93%
Intake w/ ECU
9.73%
Torque Converter and Intake w/o ECU
0.88%
Torque Converter and Intake w/ ECU
12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Low Idle Investigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Re: My car is bone stock and has it sometimes

Originally posted by Guitarman
The parking light thing is fine, except for the fact you don't want to forget you left them on when you park.
It's not a problem, they turn off automatically after a minute or so.
Old 05-13-03, 09:26 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Awesome

It's not a problem, they turn off automatically after a minute or so.
Thanks! In that case, no worries at all. In lieu of a specific answer to solving the low idle problem, that'll suffice for me, at least for the time being...I'll just leave them on. You guys really do know these cars very well.
Old 05-14-03, 08:15 AM
redgs400
Rookie

I have DRL on my '99 GS400, and it suffers from the low idle malady.

My theory agrees with what I've seen here: it's probably an engine computer programming
issue. I suspect that Lexus/Toyota would like to avoid modifications to correct the problem
because any modifications--especially one that alters engine idle--may require a recertification of the emissions control system--a process which I suspect is time-consuming and pretty expensive. (Just a
theory based on experience with qual'ing computer hardware with the FCC and suspicions with nothing
to back it up :-)
Old 05-14-03, 04:22 PM
Guitarman

Hmmm...curiouser and curiouser,,,

Every time it seems we are getting close to a solution it seems it doesn't prove out. Thanks for the info.

At the least, I know putting my parking lights on works, and since I now don't have to worry so much about forgetting they're on, at least I have that for the time being.
Old 02-29-04, 08:08 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the idle you guys are getting when the car is fully warmed up? Let me rephrase that.....while you are at a complete stop in DRIVE. What's the idle? Is it between the 2nd & the 3rd line?

Is this with everything off? Well, except the daytime running lights right? Is there anyway to turn off the DRL?

I've test drove several GS4s and most of them idle between the 2nd and 3rd mark and felt fine to me. Only one was slightly rougher than the rest.....hmmmm
Old 03-03-04, 05:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

When the car is warmed up and I'm in drive, stopped, with climate control on and only DRLs on, my SAFC-II says my rpms are about 660.
Old 03-03-04, 08:42 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bitkahuna
When the car is warmed up and I'm in drive, stopped, with climate control on and only DRLs on, my SAFC-II says my rpms are about 660.
I'm almost identical to that. Even with all the added stuff, I find that the car's smoothest idle is anything above 650 rpms.
Old 03-03-04, 06:29 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, I need one of those RPM reading devices you guys have. In terms of the RPM gauge, what's that? The 3rd line? The 2nd line? Somewhere in between?

How about a fully warmed up car with EVERYTHING off (except for DRL.....since you can't turn them off right???). Where should the RPM be when you're fully stop in DRIVE?
Old 03-03-04, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Cadd
Damn, I need one of those RPM reading devices you guys have. In terms of the RPM gauge, what's that? The 3rd line? The 2nd line? Somewhere in between?
Math not your strong suit?

I think there's 3 lines between 0 and 1 on the rpm guage, so that would be 250rpm per line. Mine is between the 2nd and 3rd line (i.e., between 500 and 750), corresponding to the 660 I mentioned.
Old 03-03-04, 07:03 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I should have thought of that

But I don't always trust the gauges.....especially when it is either at one end or at the other end of things. If it was in the middle (i.e. 3,000 RPM), you can safely assume it's around 2,900 - 3,100RPM (since gauges aren't always accurate). But when you get down to smaller numbers (especially at the very beginning or end of the gauge's range), I don't feel confident to count lines and dividing them by 4 to get an accurate number.

Of the 6 GS400s I've test drove, only one was on/below the second line. The rest of them idled somewhere between the 2nd & 3rd line with the climate control OFF and daytime running lights ON.

How much does those RPM readers go for? Seems like a neat device to have around.
Old 03-03-04, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You can pick up the original SAFC cheap on eBay. I have the SAFC-II, which has a few more features, which I got on eBay for $265.
Old 03-04-04, 07:09 AM
fever
Lead Lap

My car mimics your RPM behvaior EXACTLY. To the number and circumstance. And remember, folks, he's blown and all I'm not.

I am convinced this has NOTHING to do with modifications.

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
I don't fall into the predefined categories but I would vote for some combination of ECU programming and "issues" with the TB/MAF.

If I leave my AC on (say auto mode) I will never have a problem with low idle and my car will idle at ~750-800 RPM. If I turn off the AC while sitting at a stop (car warmed up) idle will drop to 250-350 RPM and the car will either die or else the ECU "learns" something and idle comes up to ~500 RPM. After that first "learn" my car will then always idle at ~500 RPM with no further problems. This only happens once the car is warmed up and in closed-loop mode. While "cold" no problems with idle at all.

I've been eyeing a TEC3 unit given all the great buzz around it, maybe I'll take the plunge and see if I can program it to control our cars in a "stock" manner (time is my only enemy).
Old 03-05-04, 10:20 PM
onenrg1
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, it seems like I am having the same issues with my newly acquired GS. I changed the plugs and found that the car now turned off at stops. I figured the plugs might be fowled a bit causing the car to idle a bit lower from time to time but that didn't change it. I am going to try and raise the idle of the car while in drive. We'll see how that helps. Let me know if anyone finds out anything.
Old 04-03-05, 09:27 AM
jaja
Pole Position

Newbie here.... just curious, has anyone changed their O2 sensors? I hear that they typically start to decline after 60k.

Also is there a milage similarity amongst problematic cars? ie, it happens after to 50k or is it a age issue, '98-'00 or something like that.

I just bought a '98 and I think I may have the problem, but it has never stopped.
Old 06-30-05, 02:12 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

What is the current update of this?

I have a 93 SC4 and I'm having the a/c off idle issue, car peaks and drops, peaks and drops. When tweaking with the wires and the MAF the issue goes away, it's easy to mimic with the computer hooked up.

I have purchased another MAF, the lexus tech mentioned those are computer aligned and I'm reading people cleaned their MAF, but I don't see how they cleaned it and kept it aligned. These parts are very pricy from the dealer to replace, but I got another "said" working one for testing.

Quick Reply: Low Idle Investigation