Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is this tune for real? 25whp gain!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 07:39 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is this tune for real? 25whp gain!

Hey everyone, so as the title states, I ran into a page over on Instagram that goes by the name of dubike_dyno. Anyway according to one of their posts, they managed to tune a 3IS and get gains of 25whp! Now I know most of us would be skeptical about this at first but seeing as how there are finally tunes for our cars now, do you think this could be the real deal?

If so, why is it that our 2IS tunes from RR Racing and TTFS only gain 10-14 whp? I've also seen videos on YouTube where the guy who got tuned has short clips of his car shooting flames

Needless to say, I want that for my car. And since I'm in the market for a tune anyway, I really want the most bang for my buck. What do you guys think about all this? Can we really gain more power if the tuner knows their stuff and puts time into it?

I know I've also seen a well renowned Z tuner in Socal who constantly manages to gain over 20whp +on pretty much every Z, Q, and G he tunes. I know, I know, it's a different platform BUT, I also hear people on here talk about how our engine is actually the superior more efficient one. And if what dubike_dyno mananged to gain is for real, then maybe this is actually true?? What say you guys?
Old 07-08-16, 07:49 AM
Milon
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Which model of 2IS was the 25whp gain achieved? I could easily see that being the case for the IS-F but not sure on the IS350... If so, that would be nice and I may be interested!
Old 07-08-16, 07:58 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Milon
Which model of 2IS was the 25whp gain achieved? I could easily see that being the case for the IS-F but not sure on the IS350... If so, that would be nice and I may be interested!
As I mentioned it was a 3is but seeing as how we share the same engines it should be about the same to make equal gains. I also failed to mention it was an IS350.
Old 07-08-16, 07:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Are you in the UAE or Dubai often? That's where they look like they're located.

And I guess based on the description you don't care about the safety and longevity of your motor, just HP gains?
Old 07-08-16, 08:07 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Are you in the UAE or Dubai often? That's where they look like they're located.

And I guess based on the description you don't care about the safety and longevity of your motor, just HP gains?
No I'm from California lol. But when I saw this it caught my eye since it shows our cars have more hidden potential (if its even real)
Old 07-08-16, 12:24 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My initial questions would be,

1) Were dyno charts posted?
2) What kind of dyno machine was used?
3) How was the dyno conducted? as in environment?

The reason I ask is because Rafi told me that its possible to skew numbers on a dyno machine by not providing all the proper conditions.

For example. K&N Intake is SUPPOSED to give +14WHP,(obviously Does not) , the dyno they used was obviously manipulated.
Old 07-08-16, 12:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Dyno #s can be fudged; so don't take it heart if someone says "I've gained XX whp" from this tune.

Plus, a tune can be created on the more aggressive side with no margin of error; while most "retail" tunes are still considered safe, but still with gains.
Old 07-09-16, 09:31 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd bet that a good tune on a full bolt on is350 could peak at 20hp over the stock tune. However I looked and could not find the claimed 25hp you are talking about. Are you sure that you didn't read about gains for an isf? This is what I found from the guy and he claims 5-15hp gain from the tune.
View this post on Instagram
Old 07-09-16, 09:33 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DickH
I'd bet that a good tune on a full bolt on is350 could peak at 20hp over the stock tune. However I looked and could not find the claimed 25hp you are talking about. Are you sure that you didn't read about gains for an isf? This is what I found from the guy and he claims 5-15hp gain from the tune.
View this post on Instagram
I think that's the wrong post or he changed it lol. I saw a post with that exact IS and he said he gained 25whp. However as some one else stated here, there is no dyno chart or anything to prove it. Only thing ive seen so far is a video of him revving his car and showing off how he can shoot fire now lol