Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBD Tune? RR Racing? TTFS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 11:31 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OBD Tune? RR Racing? TTFS?

Hey guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question as I've seen it asked before on the forums. But has anyone here personally tried the OBD tune available from RR Racing and TTFS? I know there have been members who have done the ECU tune where they have to remove the ECU, send it to RR Racing and wait for it to come back. But since my car is my daily, I need to have it up and running, which is why the option of an OBD tune is inticing. Anyone here have any experience with either? I'm sure it would be a major help for us 2IS owners who daily their cars. Please guys all advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-08-16, 06:55 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

The IS-F folks have started to use the OBD tune option and from what I've read, it's a very simple procedure.

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
After plugging in the OBD and choosing the setting, I think the tune took less than 5 min to install the map onto the car...just like that... at least 15 whp gain lol...
Old 07-08-16, 07:31 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Oh okay thanks redspencer!
Old 07-08-16, 12:40 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks Red!
Old 07-09-16, 09:36 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redspencer
The IS-F folks have started to use the OBD tune option and from what I've read, it's a very simple procedure.
Very simple, literally only took 5 mins to flash and the instructions Rafi includes are very detailed.
Old 07-09-16, 09:39 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4styPh0
Very simple, literally only took 5 mins to flash and the instructions Rafi includes are very detailed.
You have done this on an IS350? Or IS-F? I'd imagine it would be about the same for the procedure regardless correct? Did you notice a decent power gain?
Old 07-10-16, 07:29 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

OBD port tuning is not something new.. My mustang has a tuner that has 5 different tunes, I can just plug it in, tune and be done.. Switch when I want. If there was such an option for the IS350, I would surely get it..
Old 07-10-16, 11:25 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209
You have done this on an IS350? Or IS-F? I'd imagine it would be about the same for the procedure regardless correct? Did you notice a decent power gain?
Tune is on an ISF and I would assume it's pretty much the same process. Update the tuner, retrieve the ID file from car, send to Rafi and he sends the stock and modded files to upload to the tuner and flash the car. I have three files on mine with stock, tuned 6800, and tuned 7200 rpms.

Only driven about 70 miles since the flash and haven't dynoed yet but from what I could FEEL is slightly better low to mid range pull.
Old 07-10-16, 11:31 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4styPh0
Tune is on an ISF and I would assume it's pretty much the same process. Update the tuner, retrieve the ID file from car, send to Rafi and he sends the stock and modded files to upload to the tuner and flash the car. I have three files on mine with stock, tuned 6800, and tuned 7200 rpms.

Only driven about 70 miles since the flash and haven't dynoed yet but from what I could FEEL is slightly better low to mid range pull.
Thanks, was honestly hoping you would say something along the lines of "huge difference! Highly recommended!" lol. But thanks for the honesty. I hope it makes a noticeable enough difference on my IS350. That way it won't feel like a waste of $800
Old 07-13-16, 12:27 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

I got the Blitz R-VIT i-Color Flash... which u can play around with fuel pressure and fuel injection settings and make it run more lean or more rich...
http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/elec...vit_flash.html
Old 07-13-16, 04:24 AM
guitarguru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, was honestly hoping you would say something along the lines of "huge difference! Highly recommended!" lol. But thanks for the honesty. I hope it makes a noticeable enough difference on my IS350. That way it won't feel like a waste of $800
It depends on what you're looking for. RR Racing states an increase of 10-15 whp and/or wtq. I'm not sure you would really feel that and whether those numbers are on a stock engine or not. I think what you would feel is an increase in smoothness as it accelerates. My experience with tuning naturally aspirated STOCK engines is eh...
Old 07-13-16, 05:44 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Note that a 10-15rwhp increase on a 3.5L motor with a baseline of 265rwhp has more of an impact than the same rwhp increase on a 5.0L motor with a baseline of 355rwhp.

Also note that the tune isn't just about peak horsepower. You'll have a stronger powerband throughout the low, mid, and high rpm range and if you opt for the higher rev limit, you'll continue to maintain peak horsepower for another 500-700 rpm over the stock rev limit.

CL member Gearbangin, attributes the ECU Tune for his 3 second lap improvement and higher top speed on the straightaways: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-rr-tune.html

I can also vouch that my car felt a lot faster at the last autocross event I attended as I was able to stay in the lower gears for a longer duration due to the higher rev limit while maintaining peak horsepower.
Old 07-13-16, 05:59 AM
guitarguru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I would agree with the impact the increase has on the 3.5l, my question is has anyone had the chance to dyno? and is this increase based on stock or mods such as headers, exhausts, intakes etc...
Old 07-26-16, 11:42 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Would you mind wasting $499 instead? RR Racing is having a sale on the OBD ECU Tune device.
Old 07-27-16, 01:09 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by buister
Would you mind wasting $499 instead? RR Racing is having a sale on the OBD ECU Tune device.
There's a special going on right now? Hmm.. Really tempting. I'm sort of at a cross road right now where I figured I would stop spending money on my 350 and start saving up for an F in the near future. But if the tune is really only $500 right now for the OBD maybe it's worth a shot as a last mod to my car?

Quick Reply: OBD Tune? RR Racing? TTFS?