Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 10:10 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

I started talking to the people at ovtuned.com a few weeks back and have decided to sign up for their "phase 1" thing. Apparently they have done work with the 2gr-fe engines and have been able to do transmission tunes for some Toyota transmissions. Hopefully they will be able to come up with a decent tune with the functional higher rev that our cars could really use. I wan't to use this thread to post updates on my experience with them. So far they have been fairly prompt to respond to emails, even some that would be after business hours. I will be mailing out my ecu tomorrow and with any luck I hope to be testing it out this weekend.
Old 05-24-16, 02:29 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Excellent, hopefully they can make a tune that has the desired hp increase as well as a rev limit that can work in auto mode... or a trans tune that allows true manual operation with the paddle shifter...
Thanks, and please keep us posted.
Old 05-24-16, 07:22 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome! Good to see more companies are jumping on this platform. Hopefully we get to see a transmission tune in the near future..
Old 05-25-16, 12:48 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike33
Excellent, hopefully they can make a tune that has the desired hp increase as well as a rev limit that can work in auto mode... or a trans tune that allows true manual operation with the paddle shifter...
Thanks, and please keep us posted.
Desired HP? Really don't think that's capable with our engine.

I think transmission tune is what everyone is looking for right now. This is by far the laziest transmission ive ever seen on a sport mode. My friggen Hyundai Elantra shifts gears faster than my 2is..
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (08-08-17)
Old 05-25-16, 01:03 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^You're not kidding! My wife's new Explorer has a "manual-mode" that's more fun than our paddles. LOL!

OP, good to hear that someone is posting about their experience with them. They had a thread going on here about their offerings, but I assume it was removed due to "selling product without being a vendor".

Got a link to their website or where they offer their tune for our vehicles? Do I remember right, a phase 1 tune is only $300 right now?
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (08-08-17)
Old 05-25-16, 01:40 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Icy350
Desired HP? Really don't think that's capable with our engine.:

The desired hp I was referring to is what has been achieved by RR and TTFS, about 10-15 wheel hp... Although more would be great
Old 05-25-16, 02:11 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

The desired hp I was referring to is what has been achieved by RR and TTFS, about 10-15 wheel hp... Although more would be great
Get the tune! def worth.

I held my own with an EvoX last night doing a 1/4 pull.
Old 05-25-16, 02:23 PM
mike33
Intermediate

^^^^

I definitely will get a tune if someone gets the rev limit increase to work in auto mode at least... I have a bunch of 1/4 mile runs that I've done using a g-tech performance meter, so I'm curious to see if the rev limit and hp increase will provide a measurable difference...

Have you done any timed runs pre and post tune?
Old 05-25-16, 05:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Icy350
Get the tune! def worth.

I held my own with an EvoX last night doing a 1/4 pull.
It's true lol. And it wasn't a stock evo x either
Old 05-27-16, 11:28 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Well they have my ECU. I told them they could have it for a short while if it helps them get the transmission bit figured out.
Old 05-27-16, 06:34 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DickH
Well they have my ECU. I told them they could have it for a short while if it helps them get the transmission bit figured out.
That's good to know. Hopefully they can figure something out for the transmission. But honestly I think if they do find a way, they're gonna need quite a bit of time with the ecu.. At least that's my guess since no one else has it figured out just yet. Either way thanks for helping to get another tuning company on board our platform. Hopefully in the near future we'll have even more aftermarket support for our cars
Old 05-28-16, 05:52 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

^^^^

I definitely will get a tune if someone gets the rev limit increase to work in auto mode at least... I have a bunch of 1/4 mile runs that I've done using a g-tech performance meter, so I'm curious to see if the rev limit and hp increase will provide a measurable difference...

Have you done any timed runs pre and post tune?
Unfortunately I do not time myself what so ever. I just drive my car for pleasure, so numbers are not really my thing. But the fact I can achieve a higher RPM and the power just keeps on going ( Since our power kicks in more on the high end) You really feel the pull when you WOT.
Old 05-28-16, 07:58 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I had the redline raised to 7200rpm on my 2GR and the extra revs are definitely appreciated. Keeps pulling strong in that range and it's nice to not have to shift as early for sure. Luckily I don't have to worry about transmission tuning, but it would definitely be nice to have it tuned. The transmission shift times aren't all that terrible in the 2IS, it's the waiting for the ECU to actually make the shift that can be tiresome. Even the 3IS models that have the same A760F transmission as the 2IS shift quite a bit nicer in their proper manual mode than the 2IS simply because of the lack of an actual manual mode. If a tune can change that it would definitely be worth it.

Jeff
Old 05-29-16, 08:44 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, you be quiet with your manual IS350! LOL!

Cannot wait to see if anything can be done about the "trans tuning". I would assume this would be easier with the tuner actually having the 2IS in-person; but I have high-hopes!
Old 05-31-16, 08:05 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received an email this morning, today we find out if they can do the transmission. I've requested higher shift points and improved responsiveness from the paddle shifters. Is there anything else the car needs that I should request before they send the ECU back?

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review