Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 06:40 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
While I can see why you would be worried, keep in mine that he has an IS250 and his problem sounds just like the carbon buildup issue. He may have had the recall done, but the is250 has been known to get hit with that problem more than once. Maybe the tune is to blame, but the way I see it, he just has the common carbon buildup issue which would have happened regardless of the tune.

Now I guess we could argue that by increasing the rev limit on the 250 that maybe it caused the issue to pop up sooner than it should have, but I don't have the proper knowledge to explain how that could even be a possibility.

Look honestly, the way I see it, if you own a 250 don't tune it if your worried about the carbon issue. Even though I doubt the tune is to blame, if it helps you sleep better at night than just avoid it. BUT, if you have an IS350 on the other hand, then I say do it. Since we don't have that issue..

My car has been flawless so far after 6 weeks of being tuned and I don't regret my decision at all. And I take it to 7400 several times a day lol.
Yeah, so i also have a 250 as well as carbon build up issues. No recall done yet, and honestly i doubt i'll even go in for it. Anyways, if what you're saying(errors caused by the carbon build-up and whatnot) is true, i better stay away of the tune.
I'm just courious, why do You(350 owners) even bother with this tune? I've driven a 350 once and it seemed that it had plenty of power, compared to mine, it was a rocket ship. I'd think this tune should be specifically aimed at 250 owners, yet not many of them have done the tune.

Last edited by pavelekPL; 01-20-17 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 06:42 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Yeah, so i also have a 250 as well as carbon build up issues. No recall done yet, and honestly i doubt i'll even go in for it. Anyways, if what you're saying(errors caused by the carbon build-up and whatnot) is true, i better stay away of the tune.
In the end it's up to you. I can't say if tuning the 250 is even worth since Ive only ever driven a stock 250. But on the 350 its well worth it IMO. However keep in mind that by not tuning your 250, your not avoiding the carbon issue as that happens to all 250's eventually regardless of whether it's stock or not.
Old 01-20-17, 08:03 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I remember reading in the TTFS tune thread that they stressed that your maintenance should be up to par before doing the tune. Not saying that they don't take care of their cars but it may have been a factor in the IS250 problems. I suppose the carbon buildup situation is also a factor. I'm still all in support for a 250 tune even after hearing about all this.
Old 01-23-17, 03:34 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done everything in my power to do decarbonization of the intake valves, and i'm still having issues, so i'm beginning to think it is NOT carbon buildup. I pulled apart the top half and cleaned the intake valves by letting them hot soak with techron, then scrubbed them with a wire brush. I then ran multiple cans of seafoam. I then ran 1/2 a gallon of water through the PCV, and I am still having issues. I tuned back to stock and thought the issue would disappear, but it did not. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my ECU is just going bad.
Old 01-24-17, 04:05 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you ever able to make it to the dyno? Im really interested in seeing the exact numbers your car is putting down! Its pretty embarrassing when your friend walks away from you in a stock 428i from 60-120 lol. Seems like this tune might be able to change that outcome
Old 02-01-17, 10:24 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do we have any updates on transmission tune or 2GR internals?
Old 02-01-17, 12:00 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Im still waiting for Mat to get back in touch with me. Im trying to set up a dyno session with him for my is350c. Hopefully we'll be able to get some nice before and after numbers once its done.
Old 02-05-17, 03:34 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cronus1995
Im still waiting for Mat to get back in touch with me. Im trying to set up a dyno session with him for my is350c. Hopefully we'll be able to get some nice before and after numbers once its done.
Wonderful. Let us know how that goes!
Old 02-16-17, 04:19 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had this tune for about a week now and I must say it is very impressive. I came from the IS300 crowd back in the last decade and did all kinds of NA mods that you can name. The closest one that could change the car like this was the GReddy E-Manage Ultimate. The unit plus harness and tuning costed me about $1200. This OV tune is plug and play, no headache. I just discovered that if you're on ECT Power mode and cruising at a constant speed, the moment you press down the gas in a slightly aggressive fashion, the transmission drops 2 gears very quickly. It puts your rpm right in the sweet spot of the torque curve and the car just takes off. The only problem is I keep doing this for fun and look like an idiot on the freeway.
Old 02-17-17, 07:06 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

All these positive reviews man.. I feel like when I buy it I will end up disappointed due to how good you guys are making it sound lol.

I'm planning on getting my car tuned sometime in mid March if all goes well.
Old 02-21-17, 12:25 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
All these positive reviews man.. I feel like when I buy it I will end up disappointed due to how good you guys are making it sound lol.

I'm planning on getting my car tuned sometime in mid March if all goes well.
Set your expectations to want noticable improvment for a quite inexpensive price and you will not be disappointed at all.
Old 02-25-17, 04:04 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B00M3R
Set your expectations to want noticable improvment for a quite inexpensive price and you will not be disappointed at all.
That is the right mentality to have.
Old 02-26-17, 06:28 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

im still waitng for my 350 ecu from OV its been 4 weeks now since he posted it out to aus
Old 02-26-17, 01:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
im still waitng for my 350 ecu from OV its been 4 weeks now since he posted it out to aus
I assume you have tracking info on that shipment? I still have not received an item I paid for on Jan 4th through Amazon coming from China. Overseas transportation is SLOW!
Old 02-27-17, 04:32 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I assume you have tracking info on that shipment? I still have not received an item I paid for on Jan 4th through Amazon coming from China. Overseas transportation is SLOW!
nope no tracking info apparently he lost the tracking number
hes suppose to get back to me after he finds out whats going on at the post office
but that was last week thursday here (wednesday US time)
still no answer from him
he doesnt reply back on FB message as well
kinda pissing me off now

and about overseas shipping?
mate this aint the 70-80s Figs sends me out suspension stuff out and arrives in 5 days and that was considered average
fastest ever i got from him was 3 days

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review