Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 04:09 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Has it been released yet? I checked their Facebook page but didn't find much...
Well according to Matthew (OV) they were supposed to release their results on Friday but after checking Facebook I guess they never got around to it... Seems like all their attention is mainly for the RC which makes sense it is their development car after all.. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-07-17, 04:12 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Well according to Matthew (OV) they were supposed to release their results on Friday but after checking Facebook I guess they never got around to it... Seems like all their attention is mainly for the RC which makes sense it is their development car after all.. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Alright no worries. It is obviously a lot of work. Hopefully it does put out the 10+whp I am hoping for...
Old 01-07-17, 06:27 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has had any problems with this tune? My car went to crap after the tune and I'm unsure if it was the tune or something else. I think the ECU is just going downhill on me, which I'm not sure if thats a result of the tune or just having 103K miles? or ? The car was driving fine for 70 miles, and now all of a sudden on the drive home, i popped a p0303 pending, p0304, p2237 and p2240 half way home. Stopped the car and turned it back on and the O2 Sensor codes were gone, and drove about 5 minutes then started to lose all power again and CEL started flashing and boom, p0304 was back. I changed all the spark plugs, and swapped the coils from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 and the code is still on cylinder 4. I ran a can of Seafoam. I checked manifold pressured to see if valves were sticking open, and everything is fine. It just seems like so many problems are blowing up all at once that it has to be the ECU going down. I last thought that it was the VVT getting stuck, because the problem would only occur at full engine temp and right after high load, but today it shut down when the engine was half way to warm after going pretty much all downhill.Then, again today while cruising on the freeway at like 60mph on a flat part. None of this makes sense.

EDIT -- Just ran a can of Seafoam spray through the intake, and it burnt a ton of carbon out. Drove it 15 miles, then gave it a nice amount of gas and ended up getting a misfire code. Get this p0306 now... 3rd cylinder to misfire, cylinder 6 is a first time sight for me. This sounds exactly like the carbon buildup issue does it not?? But I had the recall done. It just worries me that the tune was literally done right before all this started happening - it was done roughly 100miles before all of this began.

Another note, my car goes into limp mode as soon as I get a misfire code. I didn't know our car went into limp mode for a misfire?

Last edited by MDHLexus; 01-07-17 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 10:08 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
They posted it on the comments somewhere on the IS Freaks page. He only gain 2whp, he stated he feels the exhaust is the restrictive part and I guess the intake isn't gonna go on sale yet
Old 01-08-17, 08:23 AM
belac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
No one has had any problems with this tune? My car went to crap after the tune and I'm unsure if it was the tune or something else. I think the ECU is just going downhill on me, which I'm not sure if thats a result of the tune or just having 103K miles? or ? The car was driving fine for 70 miles, and now all of a sudden on the drive home, i popped a p0303 pending, p0304, p2237 and p2240 half way home. Stopped the car and turned it back on and the O2 Sensor codes were gone, and drove about 5 minutes then started to lose all power again and CEL started flashing and boom, p0304 was back. I changed all the spark plugs, and swapped the coils from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 and the code is still on cylinder 4. I ran a can of Seafoam. I checked manifold pressured to see if valves were sticking open, and everything is fine. It just seems like so many problems are blowing up all at once that it has to be the ECU going down. I last thought that it was the VVT getting stuck, because the problem would only occur at full engine temp and right after high load, but today it shut down when the engine was half way to warm after going pretty much all downhill.Then, again today while cruising on the freeway at like 60mph on a flat part. None of this makes sense.

EDIT -- Just ran a can of Seafoam spray through the intake, and it burnt a ton of carbon out. Drove it 15 miles, then gave it a nice amount of gas and ended up getting a misfire code. Get this p0306 now... 3rd cylinder to misfire, cylinder 6 is a first time sight for me. This sounds exactly like the carbon buildup issue does it not?? But I had the recall done. It just worries me that the tune was literally done right before all this started happening - it was done roughly 100miles before all of this began.

Another note, my car goes into limp mode as soon as I get a misfire code. I didn't know our car went into limp mode for a misfire?

Have you tried contacting OVtune and seeing if they could reflash your ecu back to stock?
I know most tuners save your stock ecu configuration just incase something does happen or you decide you want to go back to stock.

If you could go back to stock ecu I think you would hav a better chance of figuring out what is going on. (atleast you could eliminate the ecu as the problem).
Old 01-08-17, 01:22 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

You're probably the one member here that I know of with an IS250 that's tuned for the 7200 RPM rev limit.

It's possible that the 4GR-FSE isn't built to handle the increase in RPMs the way the 2GR-FSE has been able to sustain 7,000+ RPMs (as well as the 2GR-FE used in the Lotus Evora/S/400)....
Old 01-08-17, 01:42 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redspencer
You're probably the one member here that I know of with an IS250 that's tuned for the 7200 RPM rev limit.

It's possible that the 4GR-FSE isn't built to handle the increase in RPMs the way the 2GR-FSE has been able to sustain 7,000+ RPMs (as well as the 2GR-FE used in the Lotus Evora/S/400)....
In theory, the 4GR-FSE can actually handle higher RPMs if I am correct, I've read that in multiple places, and verified the math. We have a shorter stroke and the pistons don't have to travel as far thus they go slower per RPM compared to the 2GR-FSE.
Old 01-08-17, 06:14 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

In theory, the 4GR-FSE can actually handle higher RPMs if I am correct, I've read that in multiple places, and verified the math. We have a shorter stroke and the pistons don't have to travel as far thus they go slower per RPM compared to the 2GR-FSE.
Are you certain it just isn't a bad tune on OV's part? Because from everything I read so far that could probably be my guess.
Old 01-09-17, 04:05 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rezno
Are you certain it just isn't a bad tune on OV's part? Because from everything I read so far that could probably be my guess.
That is what I was thinking. I pulled out the lower intake plenum and cleaned off the valves with Techron. I just let the Techron puddle on top of the valves and took a wire brush to it. I drove 100 miles just fine after, and then got to my house, let the car sit, drove it for 10 miles and I pulled another p0306. The valves are pretty well cleaned, I don't understand why the car would be switching into limp mode...
Old 01-19-17, 02:37 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So when i found out about this tune i was kinda on board with the idea of tuning my car. Now that you posted you're having problems with it, i'm against it. I'd rather stay trouble free than have a couple of hp more.
Old 01-19-17, 02:50 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
So when i found out about this tune i was kinda on board with the idea of tuning my car. Now that you posted you're having problems with it, i'm against it. I'd rather stay trouble free than have a couple of hp more.
While I can see why you would be worried, keep in mine that he has an IS250 and his problem sounds just like the carbon buildup issue. He may have had the recall done, but the is250 has been known to get hit with that problem more than once. Maybe the tune is to blame, but the way I see it, he just has the common carbon buildup issue which would have happened regardless of the tune.

Now I guess we could argue that by increasing the rev limit on the 250 that maybe it caused the issue to pop up sooner than it should have, but I don't have the proper knowledge to explain how that could even be a possibility.

Look honestly, the way I see it, if you own a 250 don't tune it if your worried about the carbon issue. Even though I doubt the tune is to blame, if it helps you sleep better at night than just avoid it. BUT, if you have an IS350 on the other hand, then I say do it. Since we don't have that issue..

My car has been flawless so far after 6 weeks of being tuned and I don't regret my decision at all. And I take it to 7400 several times a day lol.
Old 01-19-17, 09:38 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have an is350 and never had any problems
Old 01-19-17, 09:48 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I have jumped to the 7400rpm limit with my is350 and so far have not had any problems. Of course its a bit cold out where I am and I don't drive like Tro209 so it might be too soon to speak.
Old 01-20-17, 07:03 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DickH
I have jumped to the 7400rpm limit with my is350 and so far have not had any problems. Of course its a bit cold out where I am and I don't drive like Tro209 so it might be too soon to speak.
Well for me it's anywhere from 40-52 degrees daily. So not that cold but still, point is I have no problems yet. I think the main thing is just having an IS350. The engine can handle more abuse because it's built tougher than 2GR-FE and the 4GR-FSE. Also does anyone know if the IS250 even makes power past its stock rev limit??? If it doesn't than I wouldnt recommend pushing it that far. Only reason I have the 7400 limit is because the 350 makes power all the way up to 7400rpm so it's more beneficial.
Old 01-20-17, 11:29 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been tuned since November, 7400 RPM fairly aggressive driving. No issues on the 350.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review