Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 03:49 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Reassuring to know the tuner purchased an RC350 for the purpose of using it as a guinea pig. He must actually like the entire platform to have purchased one while there are plenty of IS350s on the market. Very good to know!
Old 12-04-16, 05:44 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Keep us posted on how well your engine handles the 7400 RPM rev limit (especially under sustained loads). You might be treading on uncharted territory with a rev limit that high (using stock internals) but I guess the only way to truly know what the 2GR-FSE is capable of is through experimentation.
This has me a bit worried too ^^^

I'm gonna have mine tuned to 7400 rpm also, if possible. But I am worried my car may not be able to take it.. However I won't be revving it that high on a day to day basis anyway so I'm sure I'll be fine, but I still am curious how the engine will hold up...

I should also add that mine is an 06 that just rolled over 138k miles today.

Last edited by Tro209; 12-04-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 07:35 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I am less worried about the rotating assembly and more worried about how the transmission copes with shifting at the higher RPMs and if there is a risk of running low on oil due to it all getting pumped up faster than it returns. These are the two big snags I see with the extra RPMs and I hope they aren't problems we will see within the extra 800rpm over stock.
Old 12-04-16, 10:04 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some more runs tonight and I couldn't get the traction right, so I did them with traction control on, and the best I did was a 5.1, with a GPS app on my phone(not sure how much more accurate). Even with it on the car still spins the wheels a good amount. With it off, even if I get a good launch I will lose grip again at around 6k rpm. My tires are trash. I really think the car will benefit from an exhaust also.
Also my car will not keep the new Rev limit in auto either. Has to be in S.
I did do a run in full auto with traction control and I did a 5.2.
I also had 3/4 tank... well I did lol.
Old 12-05-16, 06:58 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2
Some more runs tonight and I couldn't get the traction right, so I did them with traction control on, and the best I did was a 5.1, with a GPS app on my phone(not sure how much more accurate). Even with it on the car still spins the wheels a good amount. With it off, even if I get a good launch I will lose grip again at around 6k rpm. My tires are trash. I really think the car will benefit from an exhaust also.
Also my car will not keep the new Rev limit in auto either. Has to be in S.
I did do a run in full auto with traction control and I did a 5.2.
I also had 3/4 tank... well I did lol.
Seems the tune really did free up some torque down low then after all. But then again tires change everything too lol. Have you done any pulls from a roll yet? Does your car still break traction?

My car with a true dual exhaust and Joe Z intake always breaks traction if I turn it off, but that's because I'm running cheap federal tires along with a tiny stretch out back. Even if I leave traction on, If I step on it from a dig or a really low speed (like under 10mph) my car will chirp the wheels going into second gear lol.

I can only imagine how much more of an issue this will be with my tune I need to raise my car and get some good tires asap.
Old 12-05-16, 01:05 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Okay guys, just sent out my ECU and got confirmation that I'll have it back by Friday I'm beyond excited right now and can't wait for Friday to come. Look for some more impressions coming soon!!
Old 12-05-16, 01:09 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tro209
Okay guys, just sent out my ECU and got confirmation that I'll have it back by Friday I'm beyond excited right now and can't wait for Friday to come. Look for some more impressions coming soon!!
Now got get some proper tires!! Also what recline did you decide on?
Old 12-05-16, 01:14 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Now got get some proper tires!! Also what recline did you decide on?
They haven't asked me yet. When do they ask? or should I send them an email saying what I want? Im looking to get the 7400 rpm tune.
Old 12-05-16, 01:21 PM
aventur2
Rookie

They haven't asked me yet. When do they ask? or should I send them an email saying what I want? Im looking to get the 7400 rpm tune.
Yeah just tell him that's what you want.
Old 12-05-16, 01:48 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Yeah just tell him that's what you want.
Okay, they just got back to me. They said 7400rpm should be fine for us. Which makes sense since that's what you have lol.
Old 12-05-16, 08:11 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

All of you getting your tuned ecu back soon, please continue to post your results! Don't forget to list your performance mods so we can get some idea of what to expect from those with similar changes.
Old 12-05-16, 08:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
All of you getting your tuned ecu back soon, please continue to post your results! Don't forget to list your performance mods so we can get some idea of what to expect from those with similar changes.
Ill be sure to update with my impressions once I got a feel for it. I drive my car fairly aggressive as well, and am very familiar with how the car feels when being pushed. I'll also keep updating with anything else I find. Also for the sake of comparison, me and my friend with a full bolt on + dyno tuned 350z HR are gonna some friendly runs once I get the tune. Previously when we ran it was safe to say he would easily start pulling away from me once we pass 40 or so and quite strong. Put about 1-2 cars on me from a dig to 80. Will be interesting to see how things change.
Old 12-06-16, 12:58 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

So I just spoke with OV again over Facebook and learned some pretty cool stuff I hadn't known about engine before. First off I wanna say that he did in fact say that the 7400 rpm tune should bring no harm to our engine or transmission. And we then went on to talk about the differences between the 2GR-FE and FSE . He pointed out the two are very similar in most ways but that the difference being that the FSE has better designed parts through out the engine. He went on to say that the FSE actually has forged parts from the factory which I didn't even know lol. Here's a link for a good read on the engine if your curious :
http://australiancar.reviews/2GR-FSE-engine.php

I also asked how our engines compare with the VQ35HR and he says he believes the 2GR to be the superior engine, and the only advantage the VQ has is the cylinder head and valve train. But that with the their soon to be released cams and springs, that should no longer be an issue.

As for future plans, they are working on an intake, intake manifold, larger diameter headers. He said that with all these mods along with the cams zone we should see over 350whp NA. And that from there they will chase the magical 400whp mark And yes again, all NA! They are also planning on releasing a Turbo kit in the future as well. So safe to say, we have a lot in store for us over the next year and I can't wait

​​​

​​​​
Old 12-07-16, 06:48 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just spoke with OV again over Facebook and learned some pretty cool stuff I hadn't known about engine before. First off I wanna say that he did in fact say that the 7400 rpm tune should bring no harm to our engine or transmission. And we then went on to talk about the differences between the 2GR-FE and FSE . He pointed out the two are very similar in most ways but that the difference being that the FSE has better designed parts through out the engine. He went on to say that the FSE actually has forged parts from the factory which I didn't even know lol. Here's a link for a good read on the engine if your curious :
http://australiancar.reviews/2GR-FSE-engine.php

I also asked how our engines compare with the VQ35HR and he says he believes the 2GR to be the superior engine, and the only advantage the VQ has is the cylinder head and valve train. But that with the their soon to be released cams and springs, that should no longer be an issue.

As for future plans, they are working on an intake, intake manifold, larger diameter headers. He said that with all these mods along with the cams zone we should see over 350whp NA. And that from there they will chase the magical 400whp mark And yes again, all NA! They are also planning on releasing a Turbo kit in the future as well. So safe to say, we have a lot in store for us over the next year and I can't wait
​​​​
Wow this is really exciting news!!!! 100whp per liter NA is something worth celebrating!!!!
Old 12-07-16, 02:48 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

My ecu is getting tuned as we speak I should have it Friday morning they said. Super excited!

Any more impressions on the tune guys? Any races, pulls, tests, videos, etc..?
​​​​​​
I'll probably upload my own acceleration video once I get mine, since none exist currently to my knowledge. That way you guys can hear our 2GR scream like it was meant to
​​​​​

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review