Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 06:43 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B00M3R
I did get it moved to 7200 and have verified it. I would take a video but I am working a 18hr day today. hope to have one up tomorrow.
from the little I have driven it really woke up the low end grunt in my 09 is350. here in Utah we don't get 93 so I put 91 and some octane booster to take it to 94ish.
Cool! So the torque claims are legit then. Any chance you got to step on it yet and see how the car feels?? Would be great if the car really did get a good gain on top end... Oh and also I thought the tune with the 20-30 lbft gain was for 91?? If so then adding the ocean booster would probably have a negative or unnoticeable effect wouldn't it?
Old 12-02-16, 07:06 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Cool! So the torque claims are legit then. Any chance you got to step on it yet and see how the car feels?? Would be great if the car really did get a good gain on top end... Oh and also I thought the tune with the 20-30 lbft gain was for 91?? If so then adding the ocean booster would probably have a negative or unnoticeable effect wouldn't it?
I haven't checked out top end yet. my tune was for 93 so should be more dramatic.
Old 12-02-16, 08:47 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all going down tomorrow, like I thought something came up for Matt, but he's a stand up guy and is doing the tune tomorrow.
I'm doing the 7400 Rev limiter and an e30 tune since I regularly run a blend in my car so hopefully we will get some impressive results!
Old 12-02-16, 10:32 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah I guess your right. Well I'll give the Facebook thing a try again and see how my luck goes. Because as of this moment I want to order the tune, but have no idea how to ship out my ECU to them lol.

You will get emailed instructions after you place your order. I've exchanged ~100 emails with them and sometimes they respond within the same day, sometimes a few days later. It's hard for me to say how the difference feels, I want to say it's stronger throughout but it's also colder out now. Can't say how much is from the tune and how much can be attributed to the weather.
Old 12-03-16, 01:14 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DickH
You will get emailed instructions after you place your order. I've exchanged ~100 emails with them and sometimes they respond within the same day, sometimes a few days later. It's hard for me to say how the difference feels, I want to say it's stronger throughout but it's also colder out now. Can't say how much is from the tune and how much can be attributed to the weather.
I see... Man, I was really hoping the difference would be more noticeable. At least with a claim of 18-24whp and even the more impressive 20-30lb ft and rev limit increase.. I think I'll hold off until I hear a little more from you guys, since not much has been said. Keep us updated guys!
Old 12-03-16, 03:27 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I see... Man, I was really hoping the difference would be more noticeable. At least with a claim of 18-24whp and even the more impressive 20-30lb ft and rev limit increase.. I think I'll hold off until I hear a little more from you guys, since not much has been said. Keep us updated guys!
hi. Lol i think you should buy it since its on sale right now. So you could see it for yourself too. Mines not coming back till like next friday or something lol
Old 12-03-16, 03:43 PM
aventur2
Rookie

I am tuned as an hour ago. Worth every penny and more.. I will post more impressions when I get home
Old 12-03-16, 06:44 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Ok so I am tuned, I had him set the tune for an e30 mix, 70% 91 30% e85 with a 7400 rpm Rev limit. My motor is fully stock with the exception of JoeZ intake and Fsport filter.
All I can say is WOW.
The torque is really improved on the low to midrange. I usually drive fairly aggressive so I know what the car feels like when being pushed.
The Rev limit increase is awesome the car literally keeps pulling all the way to 7400 and the engine is screaming, I really need an exhaust now. The induction noise sounds a bit different too now. It's just great being able to rev like that.
I have not yet been able to record any 0-60 times but I'm sure they will be faster.
Honestly for 300 dollars this is the best thing you can do for your car, it is very noticeable and does feel like the advertised gains if not more. I don't think I'm going to bother with a dyno for now because I'm happy with the way the car feels.
Remember this is only stage 1 tune also, so you guys should just support him and buy it so he has more resources for the further development which I'm sure is going to awesome. Matthew bought a RC350 for the sole purpose of working on the 2gr. It's 100% worth it. He is still working hard on the transmission tune as well but as he explained to me today it is extremely complicated and requires lots of time.
He has overnight shipping options for those who have to mail the ecu for minimal downtime.
So overall I am extremely happy with the way the car feels I will try soon to get some recorded times.
JUST DO IT!!
Old 12-03-16, 08:26 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks aventur2. Im excited to get mines now! Although i barely drive my car since i am doing the rental car thing im still excited. Def get an exhaust ! Imagine people with fbo + tune

Last edited by metaleckz; 12-03-16 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 11:23 PM
aventur2
Rookie

If anyone has a stock is350 in Orange County I'd be interested in doing a side by side run. Let me know!
Old 12-04-16, 12:36 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Well here's some more info now that it's late and I went out to try some things. I did 2 launches to 60. Both with traction control on. The first one the car seemed to beat the traction control and spun the rears pretty good and plus I shifted at 6500 rpm(old habit) I got 5.2 seconds
My second I launched a bit better and manged to nail the shift at 7400. I got 4.89
This was done with a stopwatch however(I am getting the torque pro app) so not sure how accurate but the car feels ALOT faster from a dig than it did before.
My tires aren't that great either I had pilot sports AS3 (Factory size) and one of them blew on the rear so I have a temporary turanza on there which we all know is garbage.
I honestly think with some better tires the car could consistently nail mid 4's to 60.
With Boltons also who knows??
All I know is I need an exhaust ASAP!!!

Get Tuned!!!
Old 12-04-16, 01:48 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

No dyno? I was curious when the power starts to taper off. I currently have a 7000rpm rev limit, I am a little cautious about going up to 7400rpm. My goal is 310hp which I think is doable without excessive RPMs. It's a little encouraging that after looking at the logs I've been told that I'm making better top end than their rc350.
Old 12-04-16, 02:09 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2
Well here's some more info now that it's late and I went out to try some things. I did 2 launches to 60. Both with traction control on. The first one the car seemed to beat the traction control and spun the rears pretty good and plus I shifted at 6500 rpm(old habit) I got 5.2 seconds
My second I launched a bit better and manged to nail the shift at 7400. I got 4.89
This was done with a stopwatch however(I am getting the torque pro app) so not sure how accurate but the car feels ALOT faster from a dig than it did before.
My tires aren't that great either I had pilot sports AS3 (Factory size) and one of them blew on the rear so I have a temporary turanza on there which we all know is garbage.
I honestly think with some better tires the car could consistently nail mid 4's to 60.
With Boltons also who knows??
All I know is I need an exhaust ASAP!!!

Get Tuned!!!
This is all very exciting! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger right now while it's on sale. Even though I told myself I would start being "responsible" with my money lol. But Damn it, Christmas is coming and I deserve a gift too

Aventur2, are you dyno tuned? Im curious as to how effective this tune is in gains and I'm also still wondering if sending in the Ecu is the best choice or if I should just make the time one day to make the Super long drive down to San Diego and get Dyno tuned for best results so certain I have a custom true dual exhaust along with the Joe Z intake.... I mean, I know that regardless of what I choose or what the numbers are the car will still feel better, But I just like to know out of simple curiosity. It also helps out all the "on the fence" buyers too.

What would you recommend I do? I wanna wait and see how everyone else likes it but then again, I wanna pull the trigger ASAP before I change my mind haha.

EDIT : Never mind! I just ordered the tune and will be sending it out via 1 day return shipping I figured I should just order now, or I'll never go through with it lol. Like I said OV Tune, you got my support! Looking forward to the results!
​​​

Last edited by Tro209; 12-04-16 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-04-16, 12:04 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey guys.I ve decided to send my ECU to Mathiou as well.After several emails I think he s the only one that can tune my sc beauty.I m looking forward for the results.I think I m the only 2IS supercharged to get the tune for now!I ll keep you posted!
Old 12-04-16, 01:10 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by aventur2
Do you have to manually shift to get to the 7400 RPM rev limit? When are you initiating your 1->2 and 2->3 gear shifts? With my tune, I need to initiate the upshift from 1st to 2nd gear NLT 6500 RPM or else I'll end up bouncing off the rev limiter.

Keep us posted on how well your engine handles the 7400 RPM rev limit (especially under sustained loads). You might be treading on uncharted territory with a rev limit that high (using stock internals) but I guess the only way to truly know what the 2GR-FSE is capable of is through experimentation.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review