Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 11:26 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
If that could happen that would be insane. But it would only matter if the engine even makes power all the way up to that redline. Otherwise it would be pointless. But still one can hope.
It does pull all the way to 7200 and still makes power at 7200. I don't know if it is the same at 8000. I'm more worried about other internals than anything else. If all it will really take to rev to 8000 is a tune and changing valve springs though I would be beyond amazed. Would be nice to be able to safely rev more than the VQ37VHR guys haha

Also does anyone know how long it will take them to finish this project and how much it will cost? I'm too excited over this.
Old 10-26-16, 10:16 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
It does pull all the way to 7200 and still makes power at 7200. I don't know if it is the same at 8000.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. If it makes power all the way to 8k rpm then that would make the tune for our cars truly amazing. But if it revs to 8k but power drops at lets say 7400 rpm then the 8k is pointless. But hopefully something like that can be achieved because if it is, then I can finally beat my buddy's 350z HR lol.
Old 10-26-16, 11:40 PM
jrule2
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Monkey Wrench Racing offer stage 1 and stage 2 cams for the 2GR-FE - stage 1 for 7000rpm+ and stage 2 for 7500rpm+. I'd say the 2GR-FSE would be similar (maybe it even shares the same camshaft as the FE?) So I doubt it would make power past 7200-7400rpm. The 2UR in the IS-F doesn't make power past 7200rpm from memory so I don't see why the GR engines would.

Monkey Wrench Racing also states that the valve springs should to be upgraded for 7000rpm+
Old 10-26-16, 11:47 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrule2
Monkey Wrench Racing offer stage 1 and stage 2 cams for the 2GR-FE - stage 1 for 7000rpm+ and stage 2 for 7500rpm+. I'd say the 2GR-FSE would be similar (maybe it even shares the same camshaft as the FE?) So I doubt it would make power past 7200-7400rpm. The 2UR in the IS-F doesn't make power past 7200rpm from memory so I don't see why the GR engines would.

Monkey Wrench Racing also states that the valve springs should to be upgraded for 7000rpm+
Interesting. Never heard of Monkey Wrench Racing but none the less that's good to know. However keep in mind that engines such as Nissan VQ35HR make power up to 7500rpm stock and can go as high as 7850rpm I believe and still make power, so us is350 guys are just being hopeful lol. Though it is unlikely sadly. Oh well though, if I wanted something really fast I'd just buy a z06 or something haha. But still if our cars can be made to rev a lot higher than stock and make power the whole time that would be great. Shoot, I'd be happy if 7500rpm was a possibility. The 7200rpm tune we have available now seems nice but if we could rev to 350z HR levels then I would love my car so much more. Imagine what our cars sound like revving that high?
Old 10-27-16, 06:22 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

If anyone wants an educational read regarding tuning the ECU for the 2GR, there's a very informative thread from the MR2 folks that have done a 2GR-FE swap:

http://www.mr2oc.com/188-v6-mr2-foru...n-removed.html

They too are taking advantage of the higher 7,200 RPM rev limit for their 2GR-FE engines as well as reference the Lotus-tuned 2GRs as the benchmark for ensuring that this is a safe rev limit (as I had done for pleading the 7200 RPM case with the 2GR-FSE version).

There are some discussions in the later portions of that thread with regards to tuning the ECU for higher rev limits such as 7,500 or 8,000 RPMs though they too recommend that the valve springs, at minimum, be upgraded for reliability purposes.

Perhaps one of them will be a candidate/guinea pig for testing the 7,500-8,000 RPM rev limit to see if the powerband continues to remain at peak HP and to see if the internals of the 2GR can handle an RPM increase of over 1,000 RPMs beyond the stock rev limit.

Last edited by redspencer; 10-27-16 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 07:36 AM
jrule2
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Lotus likely left a bit of a safety margin when choosing the 7200rpm rev limit for the Evora so I'm sure 7400-7500rpm is possible without causing any damage. As for the powerband - I'm sure a regrind of the cams could ensure power all the way to redline.

On another note.. the 4GR in the is250 has a 6mm shorter stroke than the 2GR so mean piston speed will be lower. Potentially the IS250 could safely rev higher than the IS350.
​​​​
​​​​​
Old 10-27-16, 02:41 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Im not sure if anyone would wanna risk their car to test that higher rev limit theory to be honest. But from what I've heard, RR Racing has their own 3is now for testing. So if anyone is gonna do it, it's likely them. Hopefully it's possible as that would be awesome But if it requires Cams or valves then hopefully they can engineer some nice aftermarket replacements.
Old 10-27-16, 06:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Does the 2GR-FE motor use a cam-integrated high pressure fuel pump design? From the few picsI saw online I don't think it does. If not, a specific cam design for our 2GR-FSE motors would have to be created to accommodate the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 10-27-16, 08:15 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

The 2GR FE and 2GR FSE probably use the same valve springs, I don't know about the camshafts though. Figures more internals than just springs probably need to be swapped to be able to safely rev that high.

https://monkeywrenchracing.com/produ...fe-v6-stage-2/

^ Those guys make cams for the 2GR FE engine that rev to 7500+. Does the FSE engine have the same cam specs as the stock FE ones?

Stock cam specs: Duration 235I/235E, Lift 10.9mmI/10.9mmE
MWR cam specs: Duration 266I/266E, Lift 11.67mmI/11.67mmE

If they don't work perhaps one of us can contact them and see if they can tweak them slightly for the FSE engine?
Old 10-28-16, 09:49 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The 2GR-FE and 2GR-FSE do not have the same valve springs or camshafts.

Some other information that may be relevant:

2UR-GSE titanium valves should fit the 2GR-FSE head.
2GR-FSE valve springs are also used in the 1UR-FSE and 2UR-FSE. Perhaps the 2UR-GSE valve springs could be used as well as the valves? They do have a longer free length.

Jeff
Old 10-28-16, 10:34 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The 2GR-FE and 2GR-FSE do not have the same valve springs or camshafts.

Some other information that may be relevant:

2UR-GSE titanium valves should fit the 2GR-FSE head.
2GR-FSE valve springs are also used in the 1UR-FSE and 2UR-FSE. Perhaps the 2UR-GSE valve springs could be used as well as the valves? They do have a longer free length.

Jeff
Perhaps. But I don't think those will safely rev to 8000. The tune on the IS-F can increase the redline to 7400, but I haven't seen anything more than that. Mind you, even revving at 7400 with the 2GR FSE would still be awesome. I wouldn't complain at all if this tune + swapping out valves and springs allowed you to safely rev to 7400 regardless of the HP increase. Unless the guys tuning the engine to run at 8000 have made custom parts to fit this engine and not talked about it, I'm really starting to have a few doubts about this. Maybe the monkey wrench racing guys can custom order make a few pars that fit the 2GR FSE engine?
Old 10-28-16, 12:19 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I had actually said in my previous post that I wasn't sure if it was worth while as the 2UR doesn't have a higher redline, but apparently I deleted that sentence, lol.

Still, Ti valves are cool, lol.

I have had no issue with my 2GR going to 7200rpm. Been quite happy with it.

Jeff
Old 10-28-16, 01:46 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I had actually said in my previous post that I wasn't sure if it was worth while as the 2UR doesn't have a higher redline, but apparently I deleted that sentence, lol.

Still, Ti valves are cool, lol.

I have had no issue with my 2GR going to 7200rpm. Been quite happy with it.

Jeff
Not sure if the stock redlines are identical, but the tune for the IS-F allows it to rev a tad higher (7400 instead of 7200, not that it would make too much of a difference to be honest. Maybe if a few internals are changed. Even if the stock redline is the same or less if it can be tuned to run higher those valves and springs could be helpful). I guess we just need to wait for these guys working on the tune to announce what they were able to do.
Old 11-01-16, 10:45 AM
ISRider350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
I started talking to the people at ovtuned.com a few weeks back and have decided to sign up for their "phase 1" thing. Apparently they have done work with the 2gr-fe engines and have been able to do transmission tunes for some Toyota transmissions. Hopefully they will be able to come up with a decent tune with the functional higher rev that our cars could really use. I wan't to use this thread to post updates on my experience with them. So far they have been fairly prompt to respond to emails, even some that would be after business hours. I will be mailing out my ecu tomorrow and with any luck I hope to be testing it out this weekend.
Have you heard of VR Tuned? You can maybe google it. They do IS ECU tuning too.
Old 11-04-16, 06:35 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

It looks like they are now getting around to getting deeper into tuning the 2gr-fse engine. I was skeptical for a while on how much effort would be put into the is350, but it looks like they are committed to going all out with tuning our ecu. There is a short read on some of the work they have done https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/o...libration-info

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review