Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 01:17 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
My ecu is on its way back to me, they say, "we were able to pick up an addition 10-15whp overall on a completely stock IS350". I will give updates after I get the ecu.
Did they say if that was with the stock rpm limiter or an increased one? I purchased the phase 1.5 tune and that is one of the questions I asked on Monday that I am awaiting an answer to before I mail my ECU in.

Also for those looking to get a spare ECU for the tune to go on, I am going to put up a DIY guide here for how to use Techstream to make the spare ECU work.
Old 08-04-16, 03:34 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by aventur2
were they able to improve the transmission shifting?
Not yet.

Originally Posted by Gville350
What's the plan for the IM? Enlarging the ports? Port-matching? Custom enclosed chamber IM?
I would like to make an intake with shorter runner lengths to shift the power up some. Also the oem intake has all the runners crowded together, I think there may be gains in giving the inlets a little space.

Originally Posted by andper10
Did they say if that was with the stock rpm limiter or an increased one? I purchased the phase 1.5 tune and that is one of the questions I asked on Monday that I am awaiting an answer to before I mail my ECU in.

Also for those looking to get a spare ECU for the tune to go on, I am going to put up a DIY guide here for how to use Techstream to make the spare ECU work.
I am not sure what they upped the rev limit to, I asked for 7200rpm. As for the ecu swap, its pretty easy but you need more than just a copy of techstream. After reprogramming the vin to match your car you will need a wire or paperclip to jump pins 4 and 13 on the obd2 port and push the start button without hitting the brake pedal and let the car sit for 30 minutes or so.
Old 08-25-16, 02:33 PM
Beman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing to tell see the clip better
Old 08-25-16, 05:34 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beman
Wow that's the first time I've seen someone post a video relating to the acceleration of the vehicle after being tuned. Looks pretty good, You even managed to beat a 335!
Old 08-26-16, 12:32 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Wow that's the first time I've seen someone post a video relating to the acceleration of the vehicle after being tuned. Looks pretty good, You even managed to beat a 335!
Keep in mind he beat the hybrid model. Hybrid weighs approx 300 more LB then the regular. But nonetheless Grats. Its def a good comparison Since the Hybrid is marked at 0-60 in 5.0 while the IS 350 is 5.1. Shows how much the tune is doing
Old 08-26-16, 01:34 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Icy350
Keep in mind he beat the hybrid model. Hybrid weighs approx 300 more LB then the regular. But nonetheless Grats. Its def a good comparison Since the Hybrid is marked at 0-60 in 5.0 while the IS 350 is 5.1. Shows how much the tune is doing
True. Also note that the hybrid is stage 1 tuned which according to my research does approximately 0-60 in 4.7-4.8 seconds.. Damn. I need that tune!! Lol
Old 09-20-16, 08:27 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Well it's been a while, maybe too long but I'm finally getting my spare ECU back along with some extra hardware and whatnot. I should have it by the weekend so I should be able to play with it. Even better is that the guy said there is whatever for open source tunning software so I can tweak it myself. Unfortunately it still seems like there is no progress with the transmission.
Old 10-21-16, 06:16 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Things are still going slow but I now have all the stuff setup to log and flash my car. I am now waiting for a revised tune to load onto my car and from there I anticipate that further tweaks will happen to optimize it for my specific setup. What is interesting is the most recent post on their facebook which reads, "Coming soon.... 2016+ Lexus RC Ecu Reflash... RCF, RC350 RC300 RC200T, IS350, GS350 and more... Engine remapping Transmission remapping 2GR-FSE 8000 RPM" so I now have my hopes up on some actual progress on the transmission.
Old 10-21-16, 06:22 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Things are still going slow but I now have all the stuff setup to log and flash my car. I am now waiting for a revised tune to load onto my car and from there I anticipate that further tweaks will happen to optimize it for my specific setup. What is interesting is the most recent post on their facebook which reads, "Coming soon.... 2016+ Lexus RC Ecu Reflash... RCF, RC350 RC300 RC200T, IS350, GS350 and more... Engine remapping Transmission remapping 2GR-FSE 8000 RPM" so I now have my hopes up on some actual progress on the transmission.
Woah, 8000 Rpm!!! Wouldn't that be too much for the car to handle safely? Even my friend with a 350z HR (3.5 v6) has his car tuned for 7800 Rpm because they don't recommend going over that without cams or something like that. I mean you could go as high as you want, but it's probably not very safe for your engine.
Old 10-21-16, 06:37 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Well I personally wouldn't jump straight to 8000RPMs however if the valvetrain is good for it, the transmission doesn't mind those speeds, and the oil drains back quick enough then I wouldn't worry too much about it. The recommendation of getting cams for high RPMs is due to the fact that cams are designed around a specific RPM range and you will not gain anything for revving way out past your peak hp. I would be surprised if the oem cams continue to make power past 7500rpm, but if they do I might consider trying 7500RPMs
Old 10-21-16, 07:12 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Well I personally wouldn't jump straight to 8000RPMs however if the valvetrain is good for it, the transmission doesn't mind those speeds, and the oil drains back quick enough then I wouldn't worry too much about it. The recommendation of getting cams for high RPMs is due to the fact that cams are designed around a specific RPM range and you will not gain anything for revving way out past your peak hp. I would be surprised if the oem cams continue to make power past 7500rpm, but if they do I might consider trying 7500RPMs
Well according to the RR racing tune the car makes power all the way up to the 7000 rpm mark. And they also offer the 7200 rpm tune so I would assume it makes power to at least 7200rpm. With that being said I would think 7500rpm should still be a realistic range we could make power in but for now that's all a guess I suppose. I guess we'll just have to wait patiently to find out if OVtune can come up with a better tune. If they can I'll definitely get the 7500rpm tune so long as it's not harmful to the engine.
Old 10-21-16, 09:49 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the torque to the wheel in gear x at higher rpm is greater than the torque to the wheel would be in gear x+1 at lower rpm (shift point), then there is reason to stay in the lower gear at higher rpm. But one of the problems you can run into is that the springs can't close the valves fast enough at higher rpm. So I would be very cautious about 8k rpm until you know it is safe.
Old 10-21-16, 04:00 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Correct, it is valve-float that you have to worry about at higher rpms...along with springs that aren't rated for it.

Great to hear about all of the "tuning" progress being made for our vehicles now. Only imagine where we might be right now only if such tuning abilities were available to the market many years ago when the 2IS was in its aftermarket hay-day.
Old 10-25-16, 02:42 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Correct, it is valve-float that you have to worry about at higher rpms...along with springs that aren't rated for it.

Great to hear about all of the "tuning" progress being made for our vehicles now. Only imagine where we might be right now only if such tuning abilities were available to the market many years ago when the 2IS was in its aftermarket hay-day.
Assuming the 2GR-FE and 2GR-FSE engine have the same springs... https://monkeywrenchracing.com/produ...set-24-2gr-fe/

Those (according to the site, I don't know if this was tested or not) can safely rev to 8500+. I'm worried about other internals though. 8k is a significant increase over stock redline.

It would be absolutely amazing if they are able to pull off revving at 8k reliably.. even if they don't make the 60hp they said on their post.
Old 10-26-16, 07:40 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rezno
Assuming the 2GR-FE and 2GR-FSE engine have the same springs... https://monkeywrenchracing.com/produ...set-24-2gr-fe/

Those (according to the site, I don't know if this was tested or not) can safely rev to 8500+. I'm worried about other internals though. 8k is a significant increase over stock redline.

It would be absolutely amazing if they are able to pull off revving at 8k reliably.. even if they don't make the 60hp they said on their post.
If that could happen that would be insane. But it would only matter if the engine even makes power all the way up to that redline. Otherwise it would be pointless. But still one can hope.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review