Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 05:34 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't been able to do much testing lately but u am getting an exhaust today so hopefully I couldn't get a 7400rpm sound clip. Speaking of sound one of the things some of you might notice is a higher pitched induction sound. You could literally hear the engine breathing harder. Go on their Facebook page and watch the rc350 acceleration video and you will hear what I am talking about. It sounds sweet, almost LFA like if I dare say haha. Those of you with full exhaust systems probably won't be able to hear it. But since I just have the joez and "fsport" airbox all I hear is intake
Old 12-07-16, 05:39 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aventur2
Haven't been able to do much testing lately but u am getting an exhaust today so hopefully I couldn't get a 7400rpm sound clip. Speaking of sound one of the things some of you might notice is a higher pitched induction sound. You could literally hear the engine breathing harder. Go on their Facebook page and watch the rc350 acceleration video and you will hear what I am talking about. It sounds sweet, almost LFA like if I dare say haha. Those of you with full exhaust systems probably won't be able to hear it. But since I just have the joez and "fsport" airbox all I hear is intake
I just checked it out and wow, I didn't even notice the difference in sound until I used my headphones to hear it. It sounds very nice! I kind of think maybe I should go back to stock exhaust?? Lol.

Good to hear your finally getting your exhaust though. What did you decide on in the end? The original HKS Lexus exhaust?
Old 12-07-16, 06:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Finally a company taking this platform to the next level! I can visualize a twin turbo setup on one of their tuned ECUs! Just need one of those aftermarket high pressure fuel pumps made for this motor, and that'll cure any fuel delivery issues.
Old 12-07-16, 06:25 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tro209
I just checked it out and wow, I didn't even notice the difference in sound until I used my headphones to hear it. It sounds very nice! I kind of think maybe I should go back to stock exhaust?? Lol.

Good to hear your finally getting your exhaust though. What did you decide on in the end? The original HKS Lexus exhaust?
Tanabe for now and then I plan on getting Megan midpipe or just something custom. I just hate California and their laws.
Old 12-07-16, 10:36 PM
aventur2
Rookie

I felt like my car was losing power right after it shifted to 2nd gear from a dig but turns out my tires are loosing grip. That's right the car breaks traction shifting into second. I don't have complete crap tires either. The car never did that before the tune. When I take off from a dig I'm barely able to get traction. But once I'm on it between 3-5500 rpm I grip but then 5500rpm and up the car breaks the traction again, it feels like I have vtec or for us Toyota guys ( VVTLI lol). Once again tune 100% worth it. I will be putting on my exhaust tomorrow and hopefully custom midpipe. The only numbers I have are from my Torque Pro app are the horsepower after I entered the car specs which read 365hp. I know not accurate.. however OV's bone stock RC350 put 291 down. I am tuned for e30 which is like 95 octane plus I have the 7400 redline. I think that would put me just above the 300 range. Which is pretty close to that number but of course we will never know. I plan on a dynamic after they relate their stage 2 tune, right now the difference in feeling is enough for me
Old 12-08-16, 05:51 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2
I felt like my car was losing power right after it shifted to 2nd gear from a dig but turns out my tires are loosing grip. That's right the car breaks traction shifting into second. I don't have complete crap tires either. The car never did that before the tune. When I take off from a dig I'm barely able to get traction. But once I'm on it between 3-5500 rpm I grip but then 5500rpm and up the car breaks the traction again, it feels like I have vtec or for us Toyota guys ( VVTLI lol). Once again tune 100% worth it. I will be putting on my exhaust tomorrow and hopefully custom midpipe. The only numbers I have are from my Torque Pro app are the horsepower after I entered the car specs which read 365hp. I know not accurate.. however OV's bone stock RC350 put 291 down. I am tuned for e30 which is like 95 octane plus I have the 7400 redline. I think that would put me just above the 300 range. Which is pretty close to that number but of course we will never know. I plan on a dynamic after they relate their stage 2 tune, right now the difference in feeling is enough for me
Would be nice if the tune did indeed get us to
300 range. I'm thinking of getting a dyno pull done on my car, but seeing as how I never did one before the tune makes it kind of pointless in a way since I don't know how much was actually gained.

As for losing grip, that's quite impressive if your running good tires. But then again if your tires are just so-so then that explains why you can't get grip. What is your setup if you don't mind me asking? Right now on my cheap 235/35/19 federal tires I can break traction super easy even when going into second I can chirp the tires and they're not that worn either.
Old 12-08-16, 06:58 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^What Federals are you running? I've got the 595 Evos up front and they've held up great for the price; lasted longer than previous 300 treadwear tires. But perhaps that's because of the RR Racing LCA bushing setup.

Though you'll not have a baseline dyno pull, it'll still be nice to have the new figures after the tuned ECU install. Bragging right? LOL
Old 12-09-16, 09:20 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I can't do much now due to it being winter but I might try to get a vid or two of my car if it gets nice enough outside. Before it got so cold I had traction problems in first, after the tune with it being in the 40-50s I would on occasion lose traction in second with 255 pilot sport a/s 3s. I am debating running a 275 tire, we will see what happens when summer comes. Tuning for my car up to 7000rpm is pretty much done, if none of you have problems with 7400rpm by the time the weather is nice again ill ask for an update and see how things go. I wouldn't be surprised if I clear the 300hp mark within 7400rpm. Bummer though as with the addition of cams I fear my new 2.25" exhaust will be too small.
Old 12-09-16, 09:28 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DickH
I can't do much now due to it being winter but I might try to get a vid or two of my car if it gets nice enough outside. Before it got so cold I had traction problems in first, after the tune with it being in the 40-50s I would on occasion lose traction in second with 255 pilot sport a/s 3s. I am debating running a 275 tire, we will see what happens when summer comes. Tuning for my car up to 7000rpm is pretty much done, if none of you have problems with 7400rpm by the time the weather is nice again ill ask for an update and see how things go. I wouldn't be surprised if I clear the 300hp mark within 7400rpm. Bummer though as with the addition of cams I fear my new 2.25" exhaust will be too small.
I have traction issues too, makes me think I should just get tires next lol. My cars gonna be like a snake on launches with all that added torque.

Also I'm planning on getting a dyno out of curiosity for my car. I know I didn't do a base run, but it will still be nice to have an idea of where the tune puts us. What do you guys think? Or is it a waste of money since we won't see the actual gains lol. We can think of the dyno numbers as a Christmas present to the forums

​​​​​
Old 12-09-16, 08:16 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Okay after a few drives (about 35 miles) I can safely say that I LOVE this tune. Well worth the money even if it's not on sale. It's like the more I drive it, the better it feels. Responsiveness is improved, it's like driving in POWER mode all the time but without the downshifting habit of power mode.

​​​​​​And yes, POWER mode still works and doesn't really feel any different than normal mode, other than the down shifting habits of the stock tune. Over all the car feels like it does in fact have a bit more passing power due to the added torque, my exhaust even sounds a tiny bit different I think. A slight bit deeper, but that could be in my head.

​​​​​And OMG the 7400 Rpm rev limit is amazing!! Not only does the car pull harder, but it also keeps to its power band better now. For all of you waiting for feedback, here it is from my short experience. Today is the last day for the sale so if your gonna order it, just do it! But even if you don't get it on sale, it's still worth every penny.

I'm gonna keep driving this and see how I feel about it over the next day or so. Or if I notice anything new, I'll also let you guys know. I'm also thinking of getting a dyno pull done tomorrow as well out of curiosity. I'll keep you guys posted!
​​​​
Old 12-10-16, 07:37 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Will it hit 7400rpm when not in S shift mode/using the gear-limit with the paddle shifts?

Jeff
Old 12-10-16, 08:00 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Will it hit 7400rpm when not in S shift mode/using the gear-limit with the paddle shifts?

Jeff
No, the 7400rpm limit is only available in Manual "S" mode. If you leave it in auto "D" the car will automatically shift for you at 6500 still. However if you have the car in Park "P" or even neutral, it will rev all the way to 7400 Rpm.

​​​​​
Old 12-10-16, 10:48 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

Jeff
nope, but theyre working on a transmission tune. I've been managing to hit the shift exactly at 7400 with some timing lol.
Old 12-10-16, 12:27 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

That's what I figured. I knew they were working on transmission tuning as well related to shifting, etc., but I wasn't sure if they had at least gotten the max shift points changed yet.

Hopefully soon, for both.

Jeff
Old 12-10-16, 01:24 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't have the OVtune but I can safely say that the 2GR-FSE and the transmission can safely handle multiple 20 minute sessions on the track at a rev limit of 7200rpm. Powerband was linear and strong at all rpms.

After letting my buddy pass in his 505 HP 2015 Z28 (midway in the video), I tried keeping up with him but even with a tune, his car left me on the straightaways.

Last edited by redspencer; 12-10-16 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review