Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake that doesn't take air from engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 04:11 PM
Corbins350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake that doesn't take air from engine bay?

I've heard about PPE and Fsport being good intakes but which intake is not taking air from the engine bay? and which one is the best for sound/hp?

Last edited by Corbins350; 04-30-16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 03:55 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All SRI's pull from the engine bay. There was one member who had a CAI built that looked pretty good. I think the Injen SP was the loudest SRI. All intake mods produce about the same power - it really isn't even a selling point.
Old 05-04-16, 01:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, there's only been one true cold air intake designed for our 2IS model. I don't think they make them any longer.

My Fujita intake makes quite the lovey noise as well.
Old 05-04-16, 04:21 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The factory air intake is a cold air intake... If you want sound then you could get an f sport air box (it has a hole in it to generate sound) or you could just cut a hole in the factory box similar to the f sport.
Old 05-07-16, 09:53 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

afe used to sell one. You can still find them at least. It blocks off most of the engine bay and gets air from the same scoop as the stock air filter. It probably blocks 80% of the engine bay, but will not block all of it. A bit of calculation shows the scoop has a higher cross sectional area than the intake pipe, so air flow might be from the intake to the engine bay rather than engine bay to intake. Some testing I did last year would indicate at a stop at least airflow might be from engine bay to intake. Takeda sells one like it also, TR-2004P-D, and AFE 51-10992. Looks like the difference between them is a plastic intake pipe for the AFE vs. aluminum for the Takeda. A bit of testing I did last year would indicate that once the car is rolling, the intake temperature is not going to be significantly different between the AFE and stock. Stopped is a different matter. The AFE does get to a higher temp, but recovers pretty quickly once the car is rolling.

You can read the testing I did here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ake-is350.html
Please note: This test was far from flawless. It was designed to give a general indication. No more.

FYI: The AFE I own is still not on the car. That should tell you how useful I think these "cold" air intakes are. Buy one for sound or don't bother. I think they are pretty much useless in terms of HP gains. The cold air intake mentioned above that gets the air from the wheel well might be a different matter. I can tell you that on the track I have no desire to be pulling in air from that area. Between the brake generated heat and the brake dust, I'd rather pull air from the front of the car thru the stock airbox.

Another FYI: For ANYONE for ANY reason looking to buy a CAI, search for tests on airflow thru the filter and also on particulate interception of the filter. A lot of the high flow filters seem to let a lot of particles through the filter that the stock filter will remove. Some of the aftermarket filters that come with the CAI seem pretty good though. I hate to sound like an amsoil salesperson, but they sell some filters that might fit on the aftermarket intakes that should do a good job of removing particulate. If I ever do put on the AFE, that is what I would try to fit, but I might need to fashion an adapter.

Last edited by scott1256c; 05-07-16 at 10:02 AM.