Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best way to eliminate rasp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 11:00 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to eliminate rasp?

Hey guys, so I have an 07 IS250 and I now, after numerous different setups, have a secondary cat delete, resonator delete, true dual to basically a HKS Hi Power muffler. The set up is very loud and i love the sound when i'm not gunning it, but as soon as I hit WOT it goes full rasp haha. I'll make sure to get some videos soon.

So... i'm looking to eliminate a lot of the rasp, and try to keep it as loud as possible.

I'm just looking for your guys suggestions, thoughts and opinions.

Some options I have thought of are:
1. Keeping it true dual and putting in two glass packs.
2. Having it Y-Pipe into a single inlet magna flow muffler with a built in x-pipe (in the muffler itself) and come out to dual piping back to the mufflers.
3. Having the same muffler as described above, but dual in dual out.
4. Having just an x-pipe built into the system.

More suggestions are welcome!

Matt
Old 04-08-16, 12:45 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

You need to add a resonator back to the exhaust to help eliminate the rasp... Hopefully you can find one that works to eliminate the new noise frequency created with your redesigned exhaust.
Old 04-08-16, 10:39 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea you need a reaonator for sure, also do not x pipe.
im running invidia mid (has resonator but no secondary cats) to hks hi power and it sounds nice and deep kind of like an infiniti. even at wot not really raspy, the resonator does wonders

also, what is the piping size of your custom midpipe section, is it significantly different than the hks axleback? not sure if this matters but it just came to mind
Old 04-09-16, 04:58 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Parsa
yea you need a reaonator for sure, also do not x pipe.
im running invidia mid (has resonator but no secondary cats) to hks hi power and it sounds nice and deep kind of like an infiniti. even at wot not really raspy, the resonator does wonders

also, what is the piping size of your custom midpipe section, is it significantly different than the hks axleback? not sure if this matters but it just came to mind
Nah its all the same size.

So a resonator seems to be the way to go. But, does that mean I need to go back to 2 Y-Pipes. Or are there dual in dual out resonators? Couldn't i just put a dual in dual out muffler (straight through design) and it would act as a resonator?
Old 04-09-16, 05:55 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
Nah its all the same size.

So a resonator seems to be the way to go. But, does that mean I need to go back to 2 Y-Pipes. Or are there dual in dual out resonators? Couldn't i just put a dual in dual out muffler (straight through design) and it would act as a resonator?
not sure what you mean by "dual in dual out resonator", if you have a true dual exhaust you'll need 2 resonators, one for each piping on the midpipe portion of the exhaust. oem only has one res because it is not a true dual and only has one pipe in that area

hope this helps
Old 04-09-16, 06:29 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Parsa
not sure what you mean by "dual in dual out resonator", if you have a true dual exhaust you'll need 2 resonators, one for each piping on the midpipe portion of the exhaust. oem only has one res because it is not a true dual and only has one pipe in that area

hope this helps
Well my problem is there isn't enough room for two resonators in there so I was planning on doing something like this

Amazon.com: Magnaflow 12468 Satin Stainless Steel 2.5" Dual Oval Muffler: Automotive Amazon.com: Magnaflow 12468 Satin Stainless Steel 2.5" Dual Oval Muffler: Automotive
Old 04-09-16, 06:35 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Here's the set up.
Old 04-09-16, 07:58 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

oh i see. here is a joe z exhaust compared to an oem. the joe z has two small resonators and piping distance seems similar to your set up

ask your muffler guy if he thinks he can weld two resonators on like that. pretty sure it's possible, just need to find resonators small enough,, maybe he knows where to get some or he can order some
Old 04-11-16, 06:00 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Amazon.com: Resonator 2.25" Inlet 3.50 Diameter" X 2.25" Outlet 19.00" Long WRM35019-225-SS Stainless Steel Exhaust Wesdon Muffler: Automotive Amazon.com: Resonator 2.25" Inlet 3.50 Diameter" X 2.25" Outlet 19.00" Long WRM35019-225-SS Stainless Steel Exhaust Wesdon Muffler: Automotive

Planning on getting two of these... (3.5")
or
Amazon.com: Magnaflow 10415 Satin Stainless Steel 2.25" Round Muffler: Automotive Amazon.com: Magnaflow 10415 Satin Stainless Steel 2.25" Round Muffler: Automotive
Two of these (4.0")

Opinions on either of the two?
Old 04-11-16, 09:28 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Bought the Wesdon ones, looked like better quality steel. I guess we'll see how they sound in a few days!
Old 04-20-16, 04:59 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

As my previous post states, bought two of the Wesdon 19" long, 3.5" diameter resonators... I got them installed this weekend and I'm more than happy. All of the rasp is gone, like, all of it, plus it is still as loud as it was before. It basically just refined the sound into a deeper, louder growl with no rasp. There is still a little bit of drone, but totally bearable (IMO).
Old 04-20-16, 08:31 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

didnt see the earlier replies in my email, and ya i would have not chosen magnaflow either. i never thought they had good quality and thought their systems which ive heard dont soind to good. glad you like it, maybe post a video
Old 04-20-16, 09:44 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

I'll be uploading one soon!
Old 04-27-16, 01:06 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have headers (longtube), and basically same exact set up as you with two resonators and still have rasp annoying rasp between 2500-3000 rpm how do I get rid of it? After and before those Rpm numbers it sounds *****in!!!
Old 04-28-16, 03:42 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

My muffler shop said an X-Pipe where the cats were would smooth out the sound and kill some of the rasp. The resonators killed it for me though. I feel once they break in it might become raspier and i might get the x-pipe done.

Quick Reply: Best way to eliminate rasp?