Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

just installed the Supra differential LSD, DIY post on my site

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 01:11 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, its wild how the LSD is everybody's favorite mod it seems, but so few do it
Old 05-07-03, 09:21 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: lsd ? how can i test

Originally posted by lexoman
i purchaced a 99 gs400 last oct 2002 with some mods rmm full kit,front strut brace,lower front
brace,do gs 400 come with trd shocks? rmm intake,rmm exhaust,how can i tell if i have lsd. can i tell by power braking if i have a lsd? please help.
Well, the dilemma is that the torque sensing type LSDs can mimic an open diff using the wheels off the ground test (oposite direction turning = open, same direction turning = LSD) so that TEST is not conclusive. Now, if the car has the RMM sold LSD it SHOULD be LSD. It would also be 3.77 gearing vs. the stock cars 3.26 ratio. This ratio is the number of times the driveshaft turns vs. the number of times the rear tires turn. With the car safely jacked up and the car in neutral without the parking brake, you can mark the driveshaft with chalk and carefully count the number and degree of rotation as you slowly rotate the tires 1 full rotation. Just over 3 rotations = 3.26 ratio. Close to 4 rotations = 3.77 ratio. But, again, this does NOT dictate limited slip, just the ratio. Also, on the Supra diff housing there are multiple cooling fins cast into it. If you have this type of housing yours is for a Supra, either from RMM (new Supra part) or a used part removed from someones Supra.

The powerbraking test is pretty good. If both tires spin... you SHOULD have a LSD. But, as I have said, these Toyota diff's can fool you and a worn one can have enough internal friction to mimic a true LSD in the powerbrake test. However, if both tires spin... does it matter? Probably in some situations but don't sweat it. Enjoy it.
Old 05-07-03, 01:24 PM
bLingIn3o0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO JUST TOTALED HIS 93 SUPRA TT with LSD>>>

Does this mean I can buy his diff and install it into my GS300 ? Its a plug and play MOD ? Well not plug and play but you know what I mean. TAke mine out and put his diff in and I have LSD ??

Love taking turns while the back swings out at a 90degree turn but would love to try to with LSD. Not to mention leaving 2 streaks on someones face instead of one.

Thanks for help...
Old 05-07-03, 01:40 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

bLingIn3o0,
I am looking for an LSD with diff. will your friend sell it to me? send me PM
I did not know if the supra auto diff fit in the GS3, but it may work, give it a try, definitely a great mod. better than intake and exhaust mod combine

Don't forget, it has to be the AUTO TT supra, NOT 6speed TT supra, to get the 3.76 gear

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 05-07-03 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 02:41 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default blah...

food for thought....
if a diff was referred to by what it was, then maybe they would understand what their getting.

Since when is a TorSen diff classified under the generic term "L.S.D." ??
When and How does a properly functioning TorSen "Limit slip"???

power brake test? <~ too many variables involved
a TorSen will also drop Two black marks after the torque Bias Ratio is met under load.

find a paved road and open dirt right next to it. From a stop with driver or passenger half of car in dirt or pavement.. ACCELERATE!!! Off-Roading to test your diff type!!!!
oOps i forgot, Lexus owners...
ok ok.. same test find a open paved lot(street infront of your house) and wet down one side of the road(it better be fairly long) and place your car half in the wet or dry (driver or passenger side, it don't matter)
ACCELERATE!!! from a stop as quickly as you can without just burning out...
how does your Car move? what kind of motion does the car take?

if its Yaw'ing out... L.S.D.
if its pushing you through its a Torsen
damn... if you ain't goin no where its just open... or dead
Understand the test?
Old 05-07-03, 05:28 PM
lexoman
Rookie

Understand the test?
i will try that and submit my findings.thanks for the info,dont need to buy one if i have one right.
Old 05-09-03, 08:14 AM
Leonardo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, can anyone confirm that the Rear end on the GS300 and the GS400 are the same? I'm in desperate need of an LSD in my car!
Old 05-09-03, 09:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Leonardo
So, can anyone confirm that the Rear end on the GS300 and the GS400 are the same? I'm in desperate need of an LSD in my car!
I don't think they are the same. Try calling your local dealer to find out.

Maybe the LSD out of the IS3 would fit into the GS3?
Old 03-28-10, 10:20 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1998 lsd

Originally Posted by jbrady
Been there, done that.

I bought a Supra TT 3.77 gear differential from a 97 automatic (everyone calls them 3.76 but they are actually a 3.769 ratio and that my friends is a 3.77). The guy was POSTIVE it was a Torsen LSD and in fact had been to the dragstrip and it had spun both tires. He also was CERTAIN his car was sold with the LSD option (LSD was an OPTION on 97-98 automatic Supra TTs). Well, I had to change rear covers to make it fit my LS400 and GUESS WHAT!!! It was an OPEN differential, just like the one you show. I argued for days with the seller with him SWEARING it was a LSD. Finally, he believed me and took it back. Another MKVI.com member was selling his 98 diff with essentially the same story. He even had an SC400 and said the traction was night and day and he was CERTAIN it was an LSD. I explained the above and convinced him to open his for inspection and sure enough... NOT and LSD!!!

This situation is both confusing and maddening. Nevertheless, it appears that Toyota/Lexus differentials can wear in the thrust bushing area of the spider gears causing friction. This friction binds the spider gears and has the effect of emulating a limited slip. I have observed this on several higher mileage LS400s and SC400s that NEVER were available with a mechanical LSD.

So, Banana, what you have is a 3.77 geared open diff Supra differential and most likely a worn/sticky spider gear assembly. This will definitely give you better acceleration and SOME LSD properties. Understand that even an open differential supplies torque to BOTH tires UNLESS one tire looses traction. Then and only then does the LSD make a difference. This is needed for hard acceleration both from a standstill and through corners where weight shift causes one tire to have much less traction. If you are enjoying the gearing... great, have fun. If you demanded an LSD... sorry, you don't have one. Your options are removing and returning this diff or installing a TRD clutch types LSD pack. Sorry for the bad news.

Everyone, word to the wise, BEFORE buying a used Supra TT LSD for your car have the seller remove the rear cover and send pictures to confirm it as a true LSD. This should only be necessary on 97-98 Supras as the 93-96 cars should ALL be LSD.
hi.. did the diff centre from the supra bolt straight in to your LS400 ring gear ?
Old 03-29-10, 05:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^ you may want to PM him directly...you are responding to a 7 year old post. lol
Old 04-27-10, 11:11 AM
bgsymalone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbrady
The powerbraking test is pretty good. If both tires spin... you SHOULD have a LSD. But, as I have said, these Toyota diff's can fool you and a worn one can have enough internal friction to mimic a true LSD in the powerbrake test. However, if both tires spin... does it matter? Probably in some situations but don't sweat it. Enjoy it.
if i power brake my 2G GS300 the passenger side rear tire spins first, then the driver side starts spinning once the passenger side gets wound up.
Old 04-27-10, 03:50 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsymalone
if i power brake my 2G GS300 the passenger side rear tire spins first, then the driver side starts spinning once the passenger side gets wound up.
In for the 7 year old thread, either way it's still an open diff. Try taking a sharp corner and flooring it, you will spin the crap out of one tire. Fellow MN here.
Old 05-31-10, 03:05 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Torsen LSD

Originally Posted by JZS14SEVEN
food for thought....
if a diff was referred to by what it was, then maybe they would understand what their getting.

Since when is a TorSen diff classified under the generic term "L.S.D." ??
When and How does a properly functioning TorSen "Limit slip"???

power brake test? <~ too many variables involved
a TorSen will also drop Two black marks after the torque Bias Ratio is met under load.

find a paved road and open dirt right next to it. From a stop with driver or passenger half of car in dirt or pavement.. ACCELERATE!!! Off-Roading to test your diff type!!!!
oOps i forgot, Lexus owners...
ok ok.. same test find a open paved lot(street infront of your house) and wet down one side of the road(it better be fairly long) and place your car half in the wet or dry (driver or passenger side, it don't matter)
ACCELERATE!!! from a stop as quickly as you can without just burning out...
how does your Car move? what kind of motion does the car take?

Understand the test?
yeah thats a really interesting coment you make about the torsen not limiting slip.... could then you say a clutch type limits slip and a torsen type limits torque ?