Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 08:22 AM
Mienco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance upgrades

Hey guys, I recently bought a black 2006 IS 350. I have a few ideas about what I want to do and I just wanted your opinions based on your experience. So I was looking into installing an xpipe (still looking into brands: invidia midpipe), exhaust (maybe tanabe) , f sport air intake, f sport sway bars, headers.

Can anyone recommend the best brands based on performance as well as other possible modifications?

Thank you in advance!

*Also, what are your thoughts on violet callipers?
Old 02-20-16, 12:47 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i recently got an invidia midpipe and k&n intake on my is250 and could feel a bit of a difference, that being said im sure youll see better gains on a 350. i really like my set up and love the noise, sounds like a deep g35/37 tone and really aggressive. if you have the money to spend you should look into PPE headers too. there arent many things u can do for decent performance gains other than a supercharger or headers, the rest is more for fun
Old 02-20-16, 12:49 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

also theres some stuff going around about our ecu finally being cracked and being tuneable now... so if you want to go that route i suggest you hold off for a bit and see the kinda gains people get and reliability lol, personally i love seeing a new part and putting it on your car haha
Old 02-21-16, 10:39 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Parsa if performance is what your after you should just hold off for a little and see how the tuning for our cars go. I have an IS350 and just installed he Joe Z intake (which is the only one that gets gains by the way other than F sport) and a Tsudo Axleback and although noise has increased (a lot) and I might have gained a few ponies, it's nothing major that you will feel. I think the only to truly feel gains is to do everything at one time . Like intake, exhaust, and tune at the same time. I'm sure if I drive a stock IS350 I might feel a difference but kind of doubt it lol.

Oh also if you wanna make any real power you can get PPE headers for about $800 or so. Those are know to gain about 16whp I believe. Get that and a tune (once the tunes get better) and your set.
Old 02-22-16, 05:16 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

It's all going to be about personal preference. You have a lot of options to choose from. I used to have an F-Sport intake but got rid of it and added PPE's true cold air intake (best gains available and sounds great). I also got the PPE headers and added a PPE full exhaust. I thoroughly enjoy the sound and power increase I received from these mods and going with the same company on all of them provided for perfect fitment.

The next thing that has just been released is a tune. Lots of people are waiting to see what the longer term results are. Also, it may benefit you to do your bolt-ons first, and then do your tune so your tune will be specific to your mods.
Old 02-22-16, 07:10 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ JB
It's all going to be about personal preference. You have a lot of options to choose from. I used to have an F-Sport intake but got rid of it and added PPE's true cold air intake (best gains available and sounds great).
This is the first I have heard of this^^

I didn't even know PPE made an intake for our vehicles. Are you sure this really makes the most power of all intakes available for our cars? From what I've read and seen the only one that makes a difference is the Joe Z and even then it's only a very small 3-4 hp gain since the stock air intake is as efficient as it can be (except for the rubber tube that the Joe z replaces).
Old 02-22-16, 08:21 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tro209
This is the first I have heard of this^^

I didn't even know PPE made an intake for our vehicles. Are you sure this really makes the most power of all intakes available for our cars? From what I've read and seen the only one that makes a difference is the Joe Z and even then it's only a very small 3-4 hp gain since the stock air intake is as efficient as it can be (except for the rubber tube that the Joe z replaces).
It pulls air from underneath the passenger side headlight and behind the fog light. No other intake does this for our cars that I am aware of. There is nothing bad about JoeZ or some of the other short ram airs, but they are still pulling air from basically within the engine bay which is going to naturally be hotter. True cold air intakes historically have been more effective at producing power then short ram airs. With that being said, the difference is still minimal. Where a JoeZ might yield you 3-4hp, the PPE will likely yield 7-8, pending driving conditions are the same. The air density and temperature that is being sucked into the engine plays a huge role in the amount of additional power and overall effectiveness of an intake. I live in Arizona, so any time I can get cooler air into the engine I am going to take advantage of it. In colder climates where the air in the engine bay is similar to that outside, it won't be as noticeable of a hp gain.

I hope this makes sense..
Old 02-22-16, 10:02 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ JB
It pulls air from underneath the passenger side headlight and behind the fog light. No other intake does this for our cars that I am aware of. There is nothing bad about JoeZ or some of the other short ram airs, but they are still pulling air from basically within the engine bay which is going to naturally be hotter. True cold air intakes historically have been more effective at producing power then short ram airs. With that being said, the difference is still minimal. Where a JoeZ might yield you 3-4hp, the PPE will likely yield 7-8, pending driving conditions are the same. The air density and temperature that is being sucked into the engine plays a huge role in the amount of additional power and overall effectiveness of an intake. I live in Arizona, so any time I can get cooler air into the engine I am going to take advantage of it. In colder climates where the air in the engine bay is similar to that outside, it won't be as noticeable of a hp gain.

I hope this makes sense..
No that makes perfect sense lol. I just never heard of the PPE intake before. Everyone always says that the every other intake loses power over stock except for Joe Z. But I guess that's just because those are all typically Cone intake with heat shields that don't really suck in any cold air compared to stock or PPE as you put it. Thanks for the insight on that , makes me want one now

Edit: Where did you even get that from anyway? I don't see it on their site
Old 02-22-16, 01:08 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tro209
No that makes perfect sense lol. I just never heard of the PPE intake before. Everyone always says that the every other intake loses power over stock except for Joe Z. But I guess that's just because those are all typically Cone intake with heat shields that don't really suck in any cold air compared to stock or PPE as you put it. Thanks for the insight on that , makes me want one now

Edit: Where did you even get that from anyway? I don't see it on their site
Here is the link to the prototype before they finished it. I would email them directly regarding it if it isn't on their site.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...and-video.html
Old 03-02-16, 08:07 PM
JDUB509
Driver School Candidate

ppe headers are the way to go if you want some horses