Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU Tuning Questions/Answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 02:09 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb ECU Tuning Questions/Answers

I am seeing a lot of new threads regarding companies advertising a tune for our cars. Instead of trying to post questions to every company individually in tons of different threads, I opted to create this thread for questions to be asked and hopefully answered by both the companies offering this, and the members with the tunes already on their cars.

My questions so far involve log files and the tune itself.

Are we sending our ECUs and a list of modifications to the tuning company of our choice with the expectation that we will receive a "flashed" ECU customized to our cars?

Are we going to need to send log files back to make sure the flash is working properly and efficiently?

What happens if we begin changing mods and need to re-flash to better serve our car's condition?

Will there be a way to access the new ECU data and be able to maintain our own changes at home? For instance playing with timing and various ratios to best serve our driving behaviors, fuel usage, and modifications (i.e. an AEM utilized on our cars)

I look forward to reading answers to these questions, as well as additional questions and answers provided by other members!
Old 02-07-16, 09:34 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

We will try to explain our process so it is simple to understand.

If you bring your car to us at our facility we will provide you a custom dyno tune based off your modifications, fuel, ect.

If you currently send us your your ECU will will send it back to you with our flashed tune.

For anyone that is is data logging on a stock tune their is no benefit from this. There is nothing to data log on a factory tune, this is not how data logging works.

We will be in the very near future, as soon as next week will be able to custom tune you remotely. The process for this works as follows: You send us your ECU, we send you your ECU back with our base tune and cable. You data log using our cable and send us your log files. We build you a custom tune off those log files and send it back to you. You load the custom tune with our cable.

If you add modifications in the future after already been tuned by us you will need to data log again and send those files to us if you want an updated tune.

Once we read your ECU for the first time you will not have to remove it for further tuning and revisions. Everything will be done through the OBD port moving forward.

*In the near future we will be able to custom tune you in house or remotely without removing your ECU at all*

We plan to tune all Lexus models. Currently we can tune the ISF, RCF, IS250, IS350, IS300.

Keep following us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and on here
Old 02-07-16, 09:45 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Exciting news! Looking forward to members posting their results.
Old 02-07-16, 09:54 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gville350
Exciting news! Looking forward to members posting their results.
We are looking forward to it too!

Here is a 06 IS350 we tuned in house post #22

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ml#post9352641
Old 02-07-16, 01:54 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTFS
Hello,

We will try to explain our process so it is simple to understand.

If you bring your car to us at our facility we will provide you a custom dyno tune based off your modifications, fuel, ect.

If you currently send us your your ECU will will send it back to you with our flashed tune.

For anyone that is is data logging on a stock tune their is no benefit from this. There is nothing to data log on a factory tune, this is not how data logging works.

We will be in the very near future, as soon as next week will be able to custom tune you remotely. The process for this works as follows: You send us your ECU, we send you your ECU back with our base tune and cable. You data log using our cable and send us your log files. We build you a custom tune off those log files and send it back to you. You load the custom tune with our cable.

If you add modifications in the future after already been tuned by us you will need to data log again and send those files to us if you want an updated tune.

Once we read your ECU for the first time you will not have to remove it for further tuning and revisions. Everything will be done through the OBD port moving forward.

*In the near future we will be able to custom tune you in house or remotely without removing your ECU at all*

We plan to tune all Lexus models. Currently we can tune the ISF, RCF, IS250, IS350, IS300.

Keep following us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and on here
So is the cable capable of reading the tune off of the ECU?
Old 02-07-16, 02:56 PM
soloist3
Driver

I have an IS350 and am very interested in this service, though I am also curious to know if the GS460 will be able to be tuned? Still wondering where the 40hp difference between the GS and LS460 is, my thoughts were in the ECU tune, I am curious to see if it can be reclaimed in tuning the GS; I am looking for a daily driver and the GS460 seems to fit the bill, but it needs that missing power for me to consider it.
Old 02-07-16, 08:23 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by soloist3
I have an IS350 and am very interested in this service, though I am also curious to know if the GS460 will be able to be tuned? Still wondering where the 40hp difference between the GS and LS460 is, my thoughts were in the ECU tune, I am curious to see if it can be reclaimed in tuning the GS; I am looking for a daily driver and the GS460 seems to fit the bill, but it needs that missing power for me to consider it.
Along the lines of what you are saying, I am curious about how much they are able to play with the power band. I can appreciate an increase in HP, however if it is only in the 5500+RPM range then essentially it only matters when we are drag racing. I am waiting to see if they can tune the car to be faster overall, daily driving and drag racing. A power band that doesn't equal max HP until close to redline means only a benefit for a drag racer. I am hoping they can control timing and tuning to make an increase in map HP own a range that is beneficial to the majority of Lexus owners, not just drag racers.
Old 02-07-16, 09:43 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Along the lines of what you are saying, I am curious about how much they are able to play with the power band. I can appreciate an increase in HP, however if it is only in the 5500+RPM range then essentially it only matters when we are drag racing. I am waiting to see if they can tune the car to be faster overall, daily driving and drag racing. A power band that doesn't equal max HP until close to redline means only a benefit for a drag racer. I am hoping they can control timing and tuning to make an increase in map HP own a range that is beneficial to the majority of Lexus owners, not just drag racers.
Yeah I'm definitely hoping this is the case for the IS350. If any of you have looked over on the ISF section, you will see that owners of the tune report that not only is there a nice peak gain but an overall gain in the midrange as well so that there is essentially more useable power as a daily driver.
Old 02-08-16, 05:18 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

I am seeing a lot of new threads regarding companies advertising a tune for our cars. Instead of trying to post questions to every company individually in tons of different threads, I opted to create this thread for questions to be asked and hopefully answered by both the companies offering this, and the members with the tunes already on their cars.

My questions so far involve log files and the tune itself.

Are we sending our ECUs and a list of modifications to the tuning company of our choice with the expectation that we will receive a "flashed" ECU customized to our cars?

Are we going to need to send log files back to make sure the flash is working properly and efficiently?

What happens if we begin changing mods and need to re-flash to better serve our car's condition?

Will there be a way to access the new ECU data and be able to maintain our own changes at home? For instance playing with timing and various ratios to best serve our driving behaviors, fuel usage, and modifications (i.e. an AEM utilized on our cars)

I look forward to reading answers to these questions, as well as additional questions and answers provided by other members!
Hi... to answer these questions:

Yes, it always helps us to have a customer take baseline log files before the tune and after the tune. This will help us understand how the car response to the tuning, and allow us to improve the tune as well.

You will not be able to modify the tune yourself, this ECU does not work like some others.

Our policy regarding regarding re-flashes is that all essential reflashes are free. So for example, lets say we introduce a tune next week, but 2 months from now we figure out how to make it better, we will update any customer ECU for free. The only updates that we will charge for are those associated with hardware changes, like developing a custom intake that requires a retune, or supercharger, etc.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 02-08-16, 08:41 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing

Yes, it always helps us to have a customer take baseline log files before the tune and after the tune. This will help us understand how the car response to the tuning, and allow us to improve the tune as well.

You will not be able to modify the tune yourself, this ECU does not work like some others.

Our policy regarding regarding re-flashes is that all essential reflashes are free. So for example, lets say we introduce a tune next week, but 2 months from now we figure out how to make it better, we will update any customer ECU for free. The only updates that we will charge for are those associated with hardware changes, like developing a custom intake that requires a retune, or supercharger, etc.

Rafi
So just to be clear, if I do get my Joe z intake later on and mid pipe I will need to re send the ecu to you guys again and pay for another tune?
Old 02-08-16, 09:44 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by soloist3

Originally Posted by Tro209
Yeah I'm definitely hoping this is the case for the IS350. If any of you have looked over on the ISF section, you will see that owners of the tune report that not only is there a nice peak gain but an overall gain in the midrange as well so that there is essentially more useable power as a daily driver.
We will move to the GS models after we have tunes available and have tuned all IS models and RCF. We are almost there.

As we continue to tune more of these cars our database and understanding will grow. On a stock car with no bolt on performance parts we can manipulate the mid and lower power band but it may come at the expense of the top end. We look to provide overall gains but if you are seeking something else let us know when you purchase our tune.

As stated before if you add bolt on performance parts and want a retune, there will be a retune fee. You will not have to send your ecu again after you initially send it for retunes.

If we make revisions and advancements in our tune we will not charge for a retune on that as we are in the early stages and do not want our early customers to miss out.
Old 02-08-16, 10:15 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTFS
We will move to the GS models after we have tunes available and have tuned all IS models and RCF. We are almost there.

As we continue to tune more of these cars our database and understanding will grow. On a stock car with no bolt on performance parts we can manipulate the mid and lower power band but it may come at the expense of the top end. We look to provide overall gains but if you are seeking something else let us know when you purchase our tune.

As stated before if you add bolt on performance parts and want a retune, there will be a retune fee. You will not have to send your ecu again after you initially send it for retunes.

If we make revisions and advancements in our tune we will not charge for a retune on that as we are in the early stages and do not want our early customers to miss out.
Thanks for the response.. I may have missed it, so I apologize, but did you confirm whether the cable that you send is able to read the tune off of the ECU?
Old 02-08-16, 10:16 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by RRRacing

Rafi
Thanks Rafi.
Old 02-08-16, 10:52 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the response.. I may have missed it, so I apologize, but did you confirm whether the cable that you send is able to read the tune off of the ECU?
Our cable can only write.
Old 02-08-16, 06:40 PM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

OP we are actually glad you created this thread. After monitoring and researching this platform for a little while now we feel we should address some items.

First of all in a platform where there aren't many tuning options available you should do your research before you decide to have your vehicle tuned or your ECU shipped out. Your ECU is the brains of your vehicle and you just don't want to put it in anyone's hands. Now a days anyone with a laptop can claim to be tuner. Do your research on the company and tuner. Do they only know how to tune one model or two? or can they tune everything from a lawn mower to a exotic super car? Do they posses all the tools and dyno to perform their job? or do they have to rent equipment to complete the job? Do they do the tuning themselves or do they contract the work out? This is something I would look into first.

Second we have read a lot about data logging. Let us make this clear there is absolutely no reason why you would need to data log a stock car on a stock tune, none what so ever. We already know what the stock tune on the stock ECU does. The ONLY reason why anyone would data log a stock car on a stock tune is if they were trying to figure/find out the maps. Without much information out there we feel like the community may be just blindly following what they are hearing and seeing. Again, do your research on tuning in general and how the process works.

Also we have heard a few times that these cars need to be road tested and not put on the dyno. Let's clear somethings up with that. When you have a proper load bearing dyno in a climate controlled environment that simulates real world conditions you do not need to road test and data log. You can do that on the dyno. We really hope no one would send there car to a company so they could data log and test their cars on the street. This is not safe and very risky. Someone could get hurt and your vehicle could get damaged if not worse. This brings me to my next point, what kind of insurance/guarantee does the company have if they damage your ECU or vehicle?

At TTFS we do tuning, that's our main business function. That's what Frank Smith has been doing going on 30 years now. Frank has tuned everything from ATV's to 6 figure exotic cars. He has tuned thousands of vehicles and is very well know and respected in the tuning community. Frank does all the tuning by himself and has all the tools and state of the art dyno all in one place his shop, TTFS.

We are always seeking new advancements and innovations to bring to the community. We have a lot of planned for this platform and will be coming out with solutions which will change the way tuning is being performed currently. We have already successfully tuned multiple ISF's, IS250, and IS350. We have much more ahead including the RCF.

TTFS is very active within the community. We urge you to come visit our shop and follow our progress on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and our website. We hold multiple dyno days and roll racing events through out the year. We are holding our first even Friday July 8 at Pocono Raceway, please check out mpacteast.com for more information. We would like to see a strong Lexus presence there and for you to come meet us and chat with us. We created this thread for those of you haven't heard of us please check it out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...-is-tuner.html

Here are some pictures:

Enclosed dyno room with monitor, ventilation, sound proofing, and windows so customers can view inside

Last edited by TTFS; 02-09-16 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions/Answers