Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU Tuning Questions/Answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 07:07 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFS
OP we are actually glad you created this thread. After monitoring and researching this platform for a little while now we feel we should address some items.

First of all in a platform where there aren't many tuning options available you should do your research before you decide to have your vehicle tuned or your ECU shipped out. Your ECU is the brains of your vehicle and you just don't want to put it in anyone's hands. Now a days anyone with a laptop can claim to be tuner. Do your research on the company and tuner. Do they only know how to tune one model or two? or can they tune everything from a lawn mower to a exotic super car? Do they posses all the tools and dyno to perform their job? or do they have to rent equipment to complete the job? Do they do the tuning themselves or do they contract the work out? This is something I would look into first.

Second we have read a lot about data logging. Let us make this clear their is absolutely no reason why you would need to data log a stock car on a stock tune, none what so ever. We already know what the stock tune on the stock ECU does. The ONLY reason why anyone would data log a stock car on a stock tune is if they were trying to figure/find out the maps. Without much information out there we feel like the community may be just blindly following what they are hearing and seeing. Again, do your research on tuning in general and how the process works.

Also we have heard a few times that these cars need to be road tested and not put on the dyno. Let's clear somethings up with that. When you have a proper load bearing dyno in a climate controlled environment that stimulates real world conditions you do not need to road test and data log. You can do that on the dyno. We really hope no one would send there car to a company so they could data log and test their cars on the street. This is not safe and very risky. Someone could get hurt and your vehicle could get damaged if not worse. This brings me to my next point, what kind of insurance/guarantee does the company have if they damage your ECU or vehicle?

At TTFS we do tuning, that's our main business function. That's what Frank Smith has been doing going on 30 years now. Frank has tuned everything from a ATV's to 6 figure exotic cars. He has tuned thousands of vehicles and is very well know and respected in the tuning community. Frank does all the tuning by himself and has all the tools and state of the art dyno all in one place his shop, TTFS.

We are always seeking new advancements and innovations to bring to the community. We have a lot of planned for this platform and will be coming out with solutions which will change the way tuning is being performed currently. We have already successfully tuned multiple ISF's, IS250, and IS350. We have much more ahead including the RCF.

TTFS is very active within the community. We urge you to come visit our shop and follow our progress on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and our website. We hold multiple dyno days and roll racing events through out the year. We are holding our first even Friday July 8 at Pocono Raceway, please check out mpacteast.com for more information. We would like to see a strong Lexus presence there and for you to come meet us and chat with us. We created this thread for those of you haven't heard of us please check it out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...-is-tuner.html

Here are some pictures:

Enclosed dyno room with monitor, ventilation, sound proofing, and windows so customers can view inside

Wow some impressive pictures to say the least and very good background. Thanks for sharing this with us. That should help a lot of us who don't know much about the tuning community. Thanks
Old 02-08-16, 07:07 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Nicest dyno room I've ever seen! LOL! All we've got here in Greenville, SC is a few garages that share a big warehouse-like space with lifts and an in-floor dyno drum.
Old 02-09-16, 04:00 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

How much work can be done on the transmission? I always feel like the transmission in my is350 is crap. Also what kind of differences can be made between normal and driving with ect pwr on? Would it be possible to leave the shift points in normal alone and extend the rev range to something like 7200 in ect pwr? Is it possible to have different timing/fuel maps depending on what mode is selected? I have always felt like the differences being mostly throttle position and hanging onto a lower gear was kind of lame and that with custom ecu tuning there is some potential to make this switch more useful. Like maybe a difference in timing for boosted people to go with spraying meth, or maybe the other way with pulled timing for someone spraying a small shot of nitrous.

I just think that if possible this area should be explored and could potentially be an awesome feature.
Old 02-09-16, 08:39 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209
Wow some impressive pictures to say the least and very good background. Thanks for sharing this with us. That should help a lot of us who don't know much about the tuning community. Thanks
Thank you we appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Nicest dyno room I've ever seen! LOL! All we've got here in Greenville, SC is a few garages that share a big warehouse-like space with lifts and an in-floor dyno drum.

Thank you, this is our 3rd shop since starting TTFS. We put a lot of work into it and now we have everything to provide the best to our customers

Originally Posted by DickH
How much work can be done on the transmission? I always feel like the transmission in my is350 is crap. Also what kind of differences can be made between normal and driving with ect pwr on? Would it be possible to leave the shift points in normal alone and extend the rev range to something like 7200 in ect pwr? Is it possible to have different timing/fuel maps depending on what mode is selected? I have always felt like the differences being mostly throttle position and hanging onto a lower gear was kind of lame and that with custom ecu tuning there is some potential to make this switch more useful. Like maybe a difference in timing for boosted people to go with spraying meth, or maybe the other way with pulled timing for someone spraying a small shot of nitrous.

I just think that if possible this area should be explored and could potentially be an awesome feature.

Raising the rev limit is something we can do. Changing shift points in the transmission for example we can not do at this moment, but we are working on it. Please keep in mind we have just begun to play with this platform. We will have advancements for the transmission in the future and will keep working to bring advancements to this platform as long as we see demand and sales for it.

Last edited by TTFS; 02-09-16 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 12:02 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFS
OP we are actually glad you created this thread. After monitoring and researching this platform for a little while now we feel we should address some items.

First of all in a platform where there aren't many tuning options available you should do your research before you decide to have your vehicle tuned or your ECU shipped out. Your ECU is the brains of your vehicle and you just don't want to put it in anyone's hands. Now a days anyone with a laptop can claim to be tuner. Do your research on the company and tuner. Do they only know how to tune one model or two? or can they tune everything from a lawn mower to a exotic super car? Do they posses all the tools and dyno to perform their job? or do they have to rent equipment to complete the job? Do they do the tuning themselves or do they contract the work out? This is something I would look into first.

Second we have read a lot about data logging. Let us make this clear there is absolutely no reason why you would need to data log a stock car on a stock tune, none what so ever. We already know what the stock tune on the stock ECU does. The ONLY reason why anyone would data log a stock car on a stock tune is if they were trying to figure/find out the maps. Without much information out there we feel like the community may be just blindly following what they are hearing and seeing. Again, do your research on tuning in general and how the process works.

Also we have heard a few times that these cars need to be road tested and not put on the dyno. Let's clear somethings up with that. When you have a proper load bearing dyno in a climate controlled environment that simulates real world conditions you do not need to road test and data log. You can do that on the dyno. We really hope no one would send there car to a company so they could data log and test their cars on the street. This is not safe and very risky. Someone could get hurt and your vehicle could get damaged if not worse. This brings me to my next point, what kind of insurance/guarantee does the company have if they damage your ECU or vehicle?

At TTFS we do tuning, that's our main business function. That's what Frank Smith has been doing going on 30 years now. Frank has tuned everything from ATV's to 6 figure exotic cars. He has tuned thousands of vehicles and is very well know and respected in the tuning community. Frank does all the tuning by himself and has all the tools and state of the art dyno all in one place his shop, TTFS.

We are always seeking new advancements and innovations to bring to the community. We have a lot of planned for this platform and will be coming out with solutions which will change the way tuning is being performed currently. We have already successfully tuned multiple ISF's, IS250, and IS350. We have much more ahead including the RCF.

TTFS is very active within the community. We urge you to come visit our shop and follow our progress on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and our website. We hold multiple dyno days and roll racing events through out the year. We are holding our first even Friday July 8 at Pocono Raceway, please check out mpacteast.com for more information. We would like to see a strong Lexus presence there and for you to come meet us and chat with us. We created this thread for those of you haven't heard of us please check it out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...-is-tuner.html

Here are some pictures:

Enclosed dyno room with monitor, ventilation, sound proofing, and windows so customers can view inside

Great info!! Thanks for that post. We are all looking forward to the various results on the different cars and the tuning advances into the uncharted waters
Old 02-15-16, 12:43 PM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Old 02-15-16, 02:58 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

So just to be clear, if I do get my Joe z intake later on and mid pipe I will need to re send the ecu to you guys again and pay for another tune?

Intake pipes like the JoeZ should not have any effect on the tune. Also, generally speaking, you should not have to retune due to changing a mid-pipe, but naturally we will verify that as we develop the 2IS tune.

Also, like our competitor, we will offer an OBD module that will allow customers to flash their own ECU's with updates. Although, generally speaking, the safest way to flash your ECU is to send it to us.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 02-15-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 03:10 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Intake pipes like the JoeZ should not have any effect on the tune. Also, generally speaking, you should not have to retune due to changing a mid-pipe, but naturally we will verify that as we develop the 2IS tune.

Also, like our competitor, we will offer an OBD module that will allow customers to flash their own ECU's with updates. Although, generally speaking, the safest way to flash your ECU is to send it to us.

Rafi
That's good to hear, that should help make the tune a lot easier to get for customers in the near future. Also I'm actually just getting the mid pipe and intake installed in about a week or so, that why my car can hopefully utilize your tune to its fullest. Although I still do need headers but I won't probably won't ever do that due to CA smog issues.

Looking forward to your results guys, thanks for your input and also thanks to TTFS for also supporting our platform.
Old 02-16-16, 02:05 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

What will we have for features with the obd/USB/whatever hardware? Will it only be used for updates or will we be able to make our own adjustments with it? What are the odds that this hardware might be developed to a point where the ECU doesn't need to be mailed out for the initial flash?

I personally think that if the initial results from the reflash is good enough then a premium price tag for an obd2 cable wouldn't be worth it unless I was free to modify some handful of parameters myself.
Old 02-16-16, 03:30 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

What will we have for features with the obd/USB/whatever hardware? Will it only be used for updates or will we be able to make our own adjustments with it? What are the odds that this hardware might be developed to a point where the ECU doesn't need to be mailed out for the initial flash?

I personally think that if the initial results from the reflash is good enough then a premium price tag for an obd2 cable wouldn't be worth it unless I was free to modify some handful of parameters myself.

With the RR-Racing OBD flash, you will not have to mail us your ECU for an initial flash.

But you will not be able to self-tune or do on-the-fly map switching (like with a Cobb Accessport for Subaru's).

Like I said before, there is always a risk to OBD flashing, its not a huge risk but problems can happen.

Rafi

Old 02-16-16, 08:38 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

Our tool will be used for updates/revisions and to switch between tunes for example stock vs. tuned.
You will not be able to modify the tune with the tool, however if you purchase tuning tools you can modify your own ECU.

The entire goal with the first 10 users to buy this package is so we can build our library so we can offer 100% custom remote tunes to everyone without removing the ECU at all.

If you are fine with removing your ECU every time you need to add a update or change tunes than this option wouldn't be good for you. But we can't see why anyone would choose to have to remove and send out their ECU if they didn't have to. As time goes on we will continue to bring advancements and by having our tool you can load them to your car in a few minutes.

We are still working on more advancements, updates, features, and addressing some issues users have requested to us.

Last edited by TTFS; 02-16-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 08:52 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To both of the current companies pioneering the Lexus tuning scene, THANK YOU.

I am hopeful that within time, we will be able to purchase your products and ALSO be able to adjust the tune to our liking, similar to most other vehicles on the market. Hopefully utilizing a cable and program, we can use your tunes and software/hardware to adjust parameters to our liking.

We all look forward to the updates from the innovative companies that are leading this Lexus evolution
Old 02-16-16, 10:39 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

if I may ask, have you guys done a tune on an IS350 with an increased rev limit? I'm curious if it's possible to extract extra horsepower from our engine by raising the limit and letting it rev higher similar to how a VQ35HR motor in a 350z does compared to the VQ35DE. Thanks

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-16-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 11:26 AM
TTFS
Former Sponsor

if I may ask, have you guys done a tune on an IS350 with an increased rev limit? I'm curious if it's possible to extract extra horsepower from our engine by raising the limit and letting it rev higher similar to how a VQ35HR motor in a 350z does compared to the VQ35DE. Thanks
We have raised the rev limit slightly on all the Lexus's we have tuned so far including the 350. We have posted graphs in the appropriate sections of the forum if you want to take a look.

We have a lot of experience tuning the VQ motor as well Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-16-16 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Edit of quoted post
Old 02-16-16, 05:13 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

The beauty of raising the rev limit on the IS350 is that power does not drop off! We just completed our IS350 tune tonight... will post more info and dyno plots shortly (later tonight or tomorrow morning). BTW, for those of you into dynos, we use the latest Dynojet 424 AWD dyno for all our dyno testing. We like Dynojets because they do not require any user input calibration data. Also, this facility is huge and is climate controlled to about 70-75F. Because it is so large, air volume is not an issue, and you don't have to open the garage doors and let in the cold winter air.

Again, big thanks to everyone for your support... whether its our new tuning products, our RR-Racing/Penske coilovers for the IS, our Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS), our 6 piston front or 4 piston rear big brake kits, or any number of other products we offer -- thank you for supporting us, we have many new products in the pipeline and we never stop developing!

-Rafi

RR-Racing IS350 ECU tune: 2006 IS350 on the dyno!

Last edited by RRRacing; 02-16-16 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Questions/Answers