Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need your opinion! To midpipe or not to midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 10:25 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need your opinion! To midpipe or not to midpipe

What's up guys, just wanted to post a quick question to see what the members of this fine forum think about installing a Megan Midpipe on my 2006 IS350. As it stands, I currently have a Tsudo Version 2 axel back installed on my car, along with the f sport air box and resonator delete. Here's a little sample of how that sounds..

Anywho, my question as the title suggests is would you recommend me installing a Megan midpipe? My main goal at this point is to make my car sound a little deeper if possible and also give it more sounds in the rev range overall.

The way I see it, my car currently rides like this. From 500-3000rpm approximately the Axelback makes a nice deep sounds but after that range it goes pretty quiet and the intake and reso delete take over to make a nice growl on full throttle. Now what I want to do is increase the sound of the exhaust as a whole in the range where the intake takes over. Or basically , make the sound of the Axelback more audible in the higher rev range.

Would the midpipe be the right choice for this? Also I heard the Megan mid is deeper and more refined than the Invidia mid as the Invidia tends to be more raspy, which is why I figured Megan is the way to go. So what do you guys think? To midpipe or not to midpipe??

Edit: also forgot to ask.. How's the drone with a midpipe? I already have a decent amount of drone with the resonator gone and axel back lol, and I don't mind a little more. But my concern is, will the drone grow a considerable amount? Thanks
Old 12-29-15, 11:23 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

**** the invidia is more raspy? i got one recently but havent installed it yet, does ur megan mid have any cats? any resonators?
Old 12-29-15, 11:52 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Megan midpipe paired with F-sport. Drone isn't very bad. The mid pipe is resonated so it'll sound different.
Old 12-30-15, 05:07 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got Megan's as well, heard Invidia and it was a bit raspy for my taste. The Megan's sound like a louder version of the G35 growl to me. Paired with my f sport exhaust and K&N intake, it makes the car sound more complete IMHO of course.

It's definitely more refined than the INvidia.

Edit: forgot to add, there is no drone at all
Old 12-30-15, 05:55 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Parsa
**** the invidia is more raspy? i got one recently but havent installed it yet, does ur megan mid have any cats? any resonators?
Just to verify, I do not own the Megan midpipe just yet. I'm asking your guys opinion to see if the Megan mid is the right part for the job I need it to do. I've heard the Invidia on YouTube and in my opinion it's louder than a Megan but has more rasp to it which can be either a good thing or bad thing dependent on your tastes. I guess that's due to it not being resonated as someone stated on here. The price point also reflects that's seeing as how the Megan costs about $500 vs the Invidia at I believe $300. It's not a bad sounding mid pipe in my opinion, I just wanna avoid getting more drone
Old 12-30-15, 05:56 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Icy350
I got Megan's as well, heard Invidia and it was a bit raspy for my taste. The Megan's sound like a louder version of the G35 growl to me. Paired with my f sport exhaust and K&N intake, it makes the car sound more complete IMHO of course.

It's definitely more refined than the INvidia.

Edit: forgot to add, there is no drone at all
That's great! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanna hear

On a scale of 10 how loud would you say your car was before and after midpipe?
Old 12-30-15, 07:07 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tro209
That's great! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanna hear

On a scale of 10 how loud would you say your car was before and after midpipe?

For me, my F sport would growl from 1~3, and the intake would kick in after 4.5 ish.

I mainly got the midpipe to fill in the 3~4.5 range. In terms of sound dont expect something loud, Its definitely noticeable but not obnoxiously loud, more like a subtle growl (similar to the G35/37 growl) and mixes very well with the exhaust.
Old 12-30-15, 08:01 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

For me, my F sport would growl from 1~3, and the intake would kick in after 4.5 ish.

I mainly got the midpipe to fill in the 3~4.5 range. In terms of sound dont expect something loud, Its definitely noticeable but not obnoxiously loud, more like a subtle growl (similar to the G35/37 growl) and mixes very well with the exhaust.
Ahh I see. So then this basically fills up the range i was trying to describe

That's great then lol, thanks for your feedback icy350. Also my intake doesn't actually kick in till about 4K ish or so on full throttle, I just tested it lol.
Old 12-30-15, 12:12 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

I think you'd be happy with the Megan midpipe. However, if you're spending the possible $500 on the midpipe, why not go all out on a set of PPE headers and actually gain some power? I think it is $800 for their cheapest option.
Old 12-30-15, 01:11 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
I think you'd be happy with the Megan midpipe. However, if you're spending the possible $500 on the midpipe, why not go all out on a set of PPE headers and actually gain some power? I think it is $800 for their cheapest option.
I originally wanted to get the headers and do whatever bolt on I could, but after owning my car for some time I've grown to appreciate it in a different way and understand that the cars potential is not in performance but style and presence. So I don't really see as much of a reason to get the headers. From what I've seen you gain about 14whp at best I believe and in the end I don't think I'd notice that much if at all. Plus there's the issue of having to pass smog (gotta love Cali ). I figured that for what it's worth is just get an aggressive sound from my car instead and pocket the extra money for another exterior mod which , hopefully, will be a set of wheels
Old 12-30-15, 05:43 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Sorry, didn't see you're in Cali. I've got set of PPEs I'll be installing next week after the new O2 sensors arrive. Cannot wait for the new sound and slight jump in power.
Old 12-30-15, 07:16 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Sorry, didn't see you're in Cali. I've got set of PPEs I'll be installing next week after the new O2 sensors arrive. Cannot wait for the new sound and slight jump in power.
Yeah lol Cali makes everything more strict than necessary.. Well congrats on your new mod bro! I'm sure you feel the difference , I was just implying that I know the limit of our cars and I'm not sure if I wanna hit that just yet lol. Maybe once I'm done with aesthetic modification I'll look into it Definitely post pics and a sound clip once you get them installed!!
Old 12-30-15, 07:19 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

But at least you can be low all year round in cali. nor does it ever rain. :P
Old 12-30-15, 07:26 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

But at least you can be low all year round in cali. nor does it ever rain. :P
Lol true . But I think rain is something we all kinda need right now, you know, with the drought and all

Regardless I don't think I'd live anywhere else but Cali.
Old 01-08-16, 08:31 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I didn't wanna start a new thread for this question. So after rethinking the mid pipe decision I am for sure getting , however now my concern is exactly how much louder will the car become with the mid pipe?

Since I've always had my resonator deleted , even before the Tsudo was installed, I have no idea if getting a resonated midpipe such as the Megan will actually hurt the sound I've grown accustomed to... Will the resonated pipe make the sound quieter ? Because that's the opposite of what I want... As for one of the replies , they state the f sport / Megan combo is like a louder G35 growl, but I feel as though my car is already louder than that and I like it lol.

So will the mid help make it deeper without sacrificing loudness? Or will it deepen the sound but slightly silence it? Thanks again guys , sorry for the bump.

Quick Reply: Need your opinion! To midpipe or not to midpipe