Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Old 02-20-17, 12:58 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by specONE
Piggy backs are useless (I.e. vrtuned, etc. )
the Toyota ECU is too smart and whatever power gains initially felt will be countered and lost after some time when the ECU relearns itself.

ECU reflash is the way to go. (Up until recently it was un-doable but the gates are open and tuners are out there giving us something real)
Wait for tuners to unlock all potential of of the 200t motor (8AR-FTS) like they have been recently with the 2GR-FE and 2UR-GSE
I do agree with you to some extent, as only an ECU tune would remove the real limitations that are put by the factory
The following users liked this post:
Pacific13 (02-20-17)
Old 02-20-17, 01:37 PM
hambrabi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Toyota ECU is too smart and whatever power gains initially felt will be countered and lost after some time when the ECU relearns itself.

ECU reflash is the way to go. (Up until recently it was un-doable but the gates are open and tuners are out there giving us something real)
Wait for tuners to unlock all potential of of the 200t motor (8AR-FTS) like they have been recently with the 2GR-FE and 2UR-GSE
So basically theres no point in buying a piggyback tune?? Does this mean its a huge waste of money? Like if you paid $600 for a piggyback tune, it works great the first week, then Toyota's ECU just overrides it by learning and adapting then re-adjusting back to stock settings....

Tbh, I was going to go for hard mods, I already have a BMS intake, and originally I wanted to get a really good piggyback tune because its plug and play and you can just remove it later so it wont void your warranty. Now I am just just either considering changing to exhausts/cam shaft, but thats already so costly its not worth it (Originally I chose the 2 liter engine due to being hopeful that I can mod it somewhat cheaply/without voiding warranty and better fuel economy). I might as well just return the car at the end of the lease.
Old 02-20-17, 01:56 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

I've been running my piggyback for over a month and the wow factor is still there!
Old 02-20-17, 06:56 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hambrabi
So basically theres no point in buying a piggyback tune?? Does this mean its a huge waste of money? Like if you paid $600 for a piggyback tune, it works great the first week, then Toyota's ECU just overrides it by learning and adapting then re-adjusting back to stock settings....

Tbh, I was going to go for hard mods, I already have a BMS intake, and originally I wanted to get a really good piggyback tune because its plug and play and you can just remove it later so it wont void your warranty. Now I am just just either considering changing to exhausts/cam shaft, but thats already so costly its not worth it (Originally I chose the 2 liter engine due to being hopeful that I can mod it somewhat cheaply/without voiding warranty and better fuel economy). I might as well just return the car at the end of the lease.
I think specONE is assuming honestly none of us know but from what I know I don't think its all so true, you see the Piggyback is modifying the signal that already left the ECU in other words its between the sensors and the ECU, so matter how smart the ECU is I don't think it has the power to change what comes after signal is sent (Unless that ECU is GOD ), again am only assuming based on logic
Old 02-21-17, 04:48 AM
Pacific13
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

This could be true but, you have other numerous informations which go back to the ECU and these informations (temp, rev, torque) could be analysed and compared to the initial order. Thus in case of difference the ECU could be corrected accordingly. I remember on my GT86, that after having replaced the air filter with a HKS, it was necessary to wait few days to obtain the gain expected (3 or 4 ;-) ) It was exactly the same when air pipe was replaced with a MISHIMOTO. The first day only the noise was incease (placebo) it was necessary to wait. For exemple, resset you ECU and you will certainely note a difference of reaction as the Toyota/Lexus ECU keep in memory you driving habit.
The piggy will certainely modify some parameters but in fact I'm not convinced that the gain remain long time. Why although the numerous piggy on the market we do not find any reals DYNO results??
The only way remain a complete flash of the ECU, for example with ECUTECK and in this case it will be possible to have a real result with the tables corrected for the engine et for the gear. .
Today it is not yet possible but wait and see.
For my side I will certainely order a Electronic throttle controller (Tom's or Blitz) to modify the throttle and remove the lag. It not modify the ECU, just change the electric command of the accelerator. I guess it will be usefull in the driving comfort.
Old 02-21-17, 05:19 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pacific13
This could be true but, you have other numerous informations which go back to the ECU and these informations (temp, rev, torque) could be analysed and compared to the initial order. Thus in case of difference the ECU could be corrected accordingly. I remember on my GT86, that after having replaced the air filter with a HKS, it was necessary to wait few days to obtain the gain expected (3 or 4 ;-) ) It was exactly the same when air pipe was replaced with a MISHIMOTO. The first day only the noise was incease (placebo) it was necessary to wait. For exemple, resset you ECU and you will certainely note a difference of reaction as the Toyota/Lexus ECU keep in memory you driving habit.
The piggy will certainely modify some parameters but in fact I'm not convinced that the gain remain long time. Why although the numerous piggy on the market we do not find any reals DYNO results??
The only way remain a complete flash of the ECU, for example with ECUTECK and in this case it will be possible to have a real result with the tables corrected for the engine et for the gear. .
Today it is not yet possible but wait and see.
For my side I will certainely order a Electronic throttle controller (Tom's or Blitz) to modify the throttle and remove the lag. It not modify the ECU, just change the electric command of the accelerator. I guess it will be usefull in the driving comfort.
I like your prospective of this, lets wait and see what BMS comes up with, knowing them they wouldn't release something that wont work long term
Old 02-21-17, 11:35 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Its been ongoing for years that Toyota/Lexus for years were untune-able due to not being able to be reflashed (until recently) and piggybacks have initial gains but then fall back and relearn itself...
Do a search for VRTUNED (piggyback) on here (CL forums) for the older 2IS model vehicles. There is long discussion about it in the past.

Burger tune maybe different story and maybe they are onto something but judging by past piggyback, I'd hold my breath for now.
Nothing against Burger tune but maybe they know something now that other piggybacks didnt?

I dont have a IS200t but a IS350 instead.
I've been around Lexus's for years now and Piggy back and reflashing tuning was never talked about as worthwhile because it never works and was a waste of money. I'm not into wasting money for placebo effect.
Recently the ECU are now reflashable, and I have put forth money to get my ECU reflashed with a Tune that isn't a waste of money.
I'm just putting my two cents, take it as you wish.
Old 02-22-17, 06:33 AM
cbus
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Waiting eagerly for a legit reflash tune for my 200t. I already have wide wheels/tires and I'm searching for a 2010+ ISF diff. It would be nice to make even more use of those things.
Old 02-22-17, 07:43 PM
Arthur1523
Driver School Candidate

Okay so does this VRTune work or should we just wait for Burgertuning to throw in some magic? Does anyone have maybe an approximate time frame Burgertuning will have it ready for us? I want speed already! Already have my injen intake and a muffler and res delete! Also does anyone know if there are any downpipes and testpipes available?
Old 02-22-17, 07:53 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arthur1523
Okay so does this VRTune work or should we just wait for Burgertuning to throw in some magic? Does anyone have maybe an approximate time frame Burgertuning will have it ready for us? I want speed already! Already have my injen intake and a muffler and res delete! Also does anyone know if there are any downpipes and testpipes available?
Wait in general for more tests to be conducted and more dynos to become public so point is not BMS or any other vendor... point is wait for more real users to do real tests

there are no "Official" down pipe yet but you can find some custom work here if you search in the forum, test pipe is available from few vendors and I personally have the Invidia along with the Q300 Axle back
Old 02-22-17, 07:56 PM
Arthur1523
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nuke
Wait in general for more tests to be conducted and more dynos to become public so point is not BMS or any other vendor... point is wait for more real users to do real tests

there are no "Official" down pipe yet but you can find some custom work here if you search in the forum, test pipe is available from few vendors and I personally have the Invidia along with the Q300 Axle back
Can you post the link for the testpipes please. Not really looking for a exhaust system so will pass on the axle back. Already muffler and resonator deleted my car. Sounds good but just missing testpipes. Thanks!
Old 02-22-17, 09:01 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arthur1523
Can you post the link for the testpipes please. Not really looking for a exhaust system so will pass on the axle back. Already muffler and resonator deleted my car. Sounds good but just missing testpipes. Thanks!
Here you go,
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...151451359.html
Old 02-22-17, 11:17 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

350 here...
I've had vrtuned auto flashing module thing in the past... I guess it's been rebranded to something else now something gearbox tuning for the is350.
Go figure there... I've had mixed feelings about vrtuned in general, and whether everything I thought I felt was a placebo.
Can't speak for their piggyback system, but if it was anything like their auto flash I'd be wary of it.

+1 OrangeVirus Tuning (ovtuned) is doing some great things and I've been more than satisfied with their work and customer experience.
They do get pretty busy at times, so expect some delay in their response, but Mathew goes through leaps and bounds to make everything right.

My email threads spans over 100 exchanges with them, and they've been nothing but understanding and willing to answer questions, and boy have I asked a ton of questions lol. They have an is200t tune, so check them out and bounce some questions off of them.
Old 02-22-17, 11:22 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I feel like this discussion is turning into piggy back vs. ECU reflash when both have advantages and reasons to choose one over the other.

Building off of what LexSense has stated, I intend to continue working with OVTuned/Delicious on developing an ECU reflash as even this alpha re-flash has been a ton of joy. Just hoping Mat and Bill have time made progress with finding all the tables.
Old 02-22-17, 11:42 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
I feel like this discussion is turning into piggy back vs. ECU reflash when both have advantages and reasons to choose one over the other.

Building off of what LexSense has stated, I intend to continue working with OVTuned/Delicious on developing an ECU reflash as even this alpha re-flash has been a ton of joy. Just hoping Mat and Bill have time made progress with finding all the tables.
Frankly speaking I don't care which one comes on the top, all I care about is getting more power out of my car because I love all aspects of my 200t except the power....so you get the idea but my advise to everyone is to wait and see how things turn out

And from my experience with my previous car (Evo X) ECU tuning is always the TOP when it comes to releasing maximum potential of any car
The following 3 users liked this post by Nuke:
matttev (05-10-17), mcarter45 (02-23-17), Pacific13 (02-23-17)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS200t tune