Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

dragon tc

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 05:58 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default dragon tc

Am I the only one that's just not impressed with the dragon tc 2800 stall. I've read more than enough reviews on it before I pulled the trigger for a brand new one from pi. installed it, wiped out the memory in the ecm to start fresh with trans. adaptions, drove it easy for a while than started getting' it. I was expecting some ferocious burnouts from a stop and without brake standing it but its just let me down. Im running hre wheels on 265/35/20's with the supra tt lsd and 3.76 gearing. I can feel a difference and I've ensured that it is about a 2800 stall but its just not the tire fryer I was expecting. I'm sure with more horsepower it'd be really awesome. And to make it worse, while driving easy around my neighborhood, it revs around 2500 and stays there while shifting. unless I barely give it gas than it hovers around 1200 rpm. it feels like a cvt transmission and im sure the higher revs are just wasting gas. any thoughts from those that run the dragon tc. im probably gonna pull it out and sell it than put the money towards a trd tundra supercharger for the gs430.
Old 08-18-15, 12:01 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks that you weren't impressed. I heard and read nothing but good things about this and I'm looking into possibly picking one up. Even after reading this lol. Are you running headers ?
Old 08-18-15, 08:57 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine in since the start of summer. I had the LSD diff and the valve body from IPT installed at the same time so its hard to just isolate the Dragon. While I love the LSD for corners and a little fun in the rain and the revised VB is soo much better shifting than stock, I do thoroughly enjoy the stall though.
Are you launching the car with the brake applied or just flooring it?
I would be concerned that your car is shifting at 2500 rpm. That does not sound right and may cause unnecessary damage to the synchros.
Let us know what you find out..
Old 08-18-15, 07:08 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

So I've been driving it for a few days now and I realize that if I was rocking some stock 17's or not so aggressive size tires it would probably light them up and keep roasting. My feelings are, a quick car should be able to light the tires from a stop without holding the break. It does do that but it won't keep them going, just a short chirp than it shoots out of the hole. Now I have to remember that I have all the things that are made for traction working against me. i.e... lsd diff. which works amazingly well, and big fat tires with a lot of rolling mass. Now if I do hold the break down and start feathering the gas, than the brakes don't stand a chance at holding back the torque and they start frying away which is fun. I guess I'm just going after the ability to punch from a stop on any type of asphalt and just blast them. I'm on the fence, but more than likely I'm gonna pull it out in a few days when I get some time at work. One other thing I noticed was the converter makes a lot more heat in the tranny. I would typically average 140 degrees f. on a daily basis but now even with the external trans cooler it hovers around 190f. And the stock converter provides much more of a sharp neck snapping torque when downshifting at highway speeds that the dragon does not. even if it is defective in some way, not gonna get it replaced, just go back to the stock converter and begin acquiring trd tundra supercharger and quit ****ing around. the dragon will be posted for sale in the classifieds shortly.
Old 08-27-15, 07:35 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Thumbs up update

Alright so I take back anything bad I had to say about the dragon tc. Today at work we were slow so I decided to take a lunch break and just go driving around Austin. So I headed towards downtown around noon, 101 degrees outside and congress ave. super busy. but that didn't stop me from turning off the vsc. sitting at the stoplight the light turned green so I nailed it and damn that thing got sideways and I stayed in it and was blown away at how good it felt. So for the next 15 minutes and terrorized downtown Austin tx. At one point I was going 30mph. and just punched it and the *** end got way sideways and I just stayed in it and was loving every second of it.. I realized what was going on. The asphalt in downtown Austin is very old so its been smoothed over time with lots of traffic. its not like where out where I live the asphalt has much more grip and is newer. I must say even with all the traction adders I have going on the dragon def. has the ability to launch. I give it a thumbs up. gonna keep it and see how it feels once its supercharged with the roots blower.
Attached Thumbnails dragon tc-134.jpg   dragon tc-148.jpg   dragon tc-340.jpg   dragon tc-343.jpg   dragon tc-359.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Will_GS400 (01-30-17)
Old 08-27-15, 07:42 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default mod list

nf210 springs, bilstein sport shocks, dragon tc 2800 stall, supra 3.76 torsen diff., tundra intake manifold, drop in k and n, adjusted valve body, obx shorty headers, external trans cooler,
Old 08-27-15, 07:45 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So is it still for sale ? Glad it worked out for you, can't wait to order mine. So what supercharger are you looking into getting ?
Old 08-28-15, 05:55 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default clos430

ideally the trd tundra supercharger since its made for our engine. but I also wanna get the 2uz supercharger manifold from bulletcars.com it cost 1200 and comes with the top plate for any factory supercharger I choose. im thinking either an mp90 with internal bypass valve or a cobra m112 for its bigger displacement.