Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ls1 or 3uzfe is one better then the other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 11:23 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
So first it was 1200 and now it's 2200?? What exactly changed from the first quote they gave you to raise the price that much?
it includes the dlc coated buckets that the camshaft lobes come into contact with. he claims its because when you weld up a cam, the material becomes as hard as the bucket material which will than cause accelerated wear. along with the welded cam is no longer porous like the o.e. cam so the oil won't stick as easily so using an aftermarket oil is recommended.
Old 06-10-15, 08:50 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Ok just got word back from Kiel Rasmussen at kelford cams in New Zealand. I explained to him I wanted street cams for the 2002 gs430 EMPHASISING that the engine has vvti. he stated the best would be the 207C type grind. hes recommending DLC coated buckets for the spings. hes saying they will run 2200 us dollars. pricey but would be totally frickin' worth it.
Did he say anything about the modified\upgraded ECU that is stated on the website for the "C" cams?
As you may or may not know our ECU's are locked so its not that we can reprogram\tune them.
Old 06-10-15, 09:03 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default gs jake

when it comes to ecu programming and what I heard on horsepower tv one day, "if the big three are piggy banks, than Toyota is fort knox". instead of spending all our time and money into all these performance parts, if we threw all our money into a large pot and paid someone to crack the code and algorithm's of our computers it would literally awaken a whole other world for us. I can only dream though of that being a possibility. Now! im under the impression that bully dog has unlocked the Toyota ecu's for 2006 and up computers. now what about the 4.7 engines that are in 2006, what do you think would happen if we plugged a bully dog into our ecu and tried to write code around. hmm.... or just swapped ecus and rewired accordingly. than used the bully dog programmer to adjust parameters.
Old 06-27-15, 06:00 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
when it comes to ecu programming and what I heard on horsepower tv one day, "if the big three are piggy banks, than Toyota is fort knox". instead of spending all our time and money into all these performance parts, if we threw all our money into a large pot and paid someone to crack the code and algorithm's of our computers it would literally awaken a whole other world for us. I can only dream though of that being a possibility. Now! im under the impression that bully dog has unlocked the Toyota ecu's for 2006 and up computers. now what about the 4.7 engines that are in 2006, what do you think would happen if we plugged a bully dog into our ecu and tried to write code around. hmm.... or just swapped ecus and rewired accordingly. than used the bully dog programmer to adjust parameters.
This is a subject that needs to be talked about, our ecu issue is really overwhelming. Bully dog? I have to look into that.
Old 06-28-15, 08:29 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Also the 3uz rods are forged from factory so a mild NA setup in my mind would be reliable...

I'd personally go with the LS. For many reasons.
Old 06-28-15, 09:06 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone that says they can make a v6 sound like a v8 has either never heard a V8 or added 2 cylinders to the V6.

Coming from a long time of experience with the lsx series, they're great engines. There is a reason you see them swapped into so many different cars: they make tons of power for a decent price, they're reliable, and have an amazing aftermarket support line. Tuning them with the oem ecu is possible and swaps are fairly cheap and well-known, because everyone wants to do it.
If you get bored or NA power, you can throw in a turbo or supercharger and make 600rwhp with few issues. Build the engine and turbo size, you can make 1,000rwhp with no issues. And the best part? It has plenty of torque and is completely street drivable. No need to Rev the living daylights out of it for normal stop and go.
Old 06-30-15, 01:45 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Revive

I'd personally go with the LS. For many reasons.
Wow those rods are thin...

But badblackgs had a post on how the 3uz engines connecting rods where made forged if i remember correctly.
Old 06-30-15, 01:50 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Anyone that says they can make a v6 sound like a v8 has either never heard a V8 or added 2 cylinders to the V6.

Coming from a long time of experience with the lsx series, they're great engines. There is a reason you see them swapped into so many different cars: they make tons of power for a decent price, they're reliable, and have an amazing aftermarket support line. Tuning them with the oem ecu is possible and swaps are fairly cheap and well-known, because everyone wants to do it.
If you get bored or NA power, you can throw in a turbo or supercharger and make 600rwhp with few issues. Build the engine and turbo size, you can make 1,000rwhp with no issues. And the best part? It has plenty of torque and is completely street drivable. No need to Rev the living daylights out of it for normal stop and go.
I have nothing bad to say about the ls engines. My silverado has 350k on its original engine, and i even missed some oil changes. Just seems like in the end all cost come out to be the same.
Old 07-08-15, 01:00 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Wow those rods are thin...

But badblackgs had a post on how the 3uz engines connecting rods where made forged if i remember correctly.
Yea I did notice his post... Even so I still consider them sub par to aftermarket forged.