Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 10:48 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

*sigh* was hoping for something legitimate -ish here... looks like VR tune round 2 so far
Old 06-03-15, 11:46 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I see, peak hp gained about 6hp.

The other thing to note is that the midrange improved from 4500-5500rpm. At 5000rpm, it gained ~20hp.

The graph looks a lot better overall.

Too bad it doesn't give 15+ throughout the entire range.
Old 06-04-15, 07:09 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alas, super disappointed in this, I really dont like when a company tells you that you will see 16-20 hp to the wheels change for their product and then someone not affiliated with it, comes out with this....
I guess the but dyno told them it was 16-20, as I am sure that if feels faster with the midrange improvement...
Thank you for doing this!!! I hope that you didnt pay full price for this...
Old 06-04-15, 07:20 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

On the bright side, there is a clear change being made to the AFR of the vehicle. That change is not being corrected by the ECU either. Remember, My tuner stated that the "stock map" on the piggy back could use A LOT of work to tweek it into giving more power accross the board. He also stated that without the ability of spark control, no "piggy back" system will be able to give you much power. The system is tunable, So i will have him see what he can do.
You will get follow up dyno pulls for all this but unfortunately there will be other performance parts installed as well. I have too many things piling up in my garage (new intake filter, headers, lighter wheels).
As for how long it takes for the ECU to correct, it used to be said that it was 100 miles. But, now that I have tested at over 200 miles people are claiming 1000. In future pulls, I can still determine if the ECU has corrected by the AFR.
Old 06-04-15, 07:26 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the improvement in the curve as well. Even without the top end HP increase, that midrange improvement is worth noting.
I also noticed the better AFR. That was measured with a sensor up the tailpipe? How accurate are those? With that improvement in AFR, I would have thought you'd see better than a 6HP improvement. Still disappointed.

Thanks for going to the trouble and expense of testing it. I appreciate it and I'm sure the community in general appreciates it also.
Old 06-04-15, 07:29 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
UPDATE: I'll be doing "after" dyno pulls tomorrow at 10am. I currently have 185 miles on the tune. I will post exact miles during dyno tomorrow. Unfortunately I did use the tank of gas that was in the car for the first runs. But I filled up at the same gas station, even same pump.
So tomorrow is the day of truth, stay tuned guys
Even the same pump! LOL
Old 06-04-15, 08:49 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

^ Bro, when testing for a forum you have to take every precation. This guys will say the craziest things to prove or disprove something. I attempted to have as controlled enviroment as my budget could afford.
Old 06-04-15, 08:55 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scott1256c
That was measured with a sensor up the tailpipe? How accurate are those?
Yeah, it was a sensor about 3ft into the tailpipe. You know, I honestly dont know how accurate they are. good question. I will say, whatever their accuracy, it was the same sensor in the same pipe at the same distance for "before" and "after". The change is real.
Also, he builds some pretty big power vehicles with that method so it has to be somewhat accurate.
Old 06-04-15, 09:36 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Can the dyno shop overlay the old runs with the new runs?

Claiming failure because of a measly 6hp gain at ~6500rpm, while ignoring what could be a sizeable gain in area under the curve in the midrange (where the engine spends most of its time anyway) is pretty shortsighted. But it is pretty hard to understand (and even harder to explain) the difference in area under the curve without overlaid plots, so 6hp gain internet math will rule the discussion.
Old 06-04-15, 09:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

For an easier comparison, attached is a quick snapshot of what looked to be the best powerbands from the before-and-after dynos.
Attached Thumbnails Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test-before-and-after.png  
Old 06-04-15, 10:59 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you shift exactly at 6700, the rpm in the next gear is
gear ratio ... rpm
1 ... 3.52 ... 3883
2 ... 2.04 ... 4598
3 ... 1.40 ... 4786
4 ... 1.00 ... 4824
5 ... 0.72 ... 5490
6 ... 0.59

5 and 6 are not important for heavy throttle acceleration, but for the other 4 gears, the "optimal" shift rpm match is in the interesting part of that 2nd vs 1st graph.

First to 2nd starts a little lower, but from 4600 or so up to about 6000 there is improvement in torque, and every gear has to go through that region, provided you're maxing throttle and shifting high. Don't know how much that would improve 1/4 mi. times. Couldn't hurt though.

Last edited by scott1256c; 06-04-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-04-15, 06:41 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Provided that IF you can squeeze more power out with a tune and have it actually stick, then this might not be too bad of an investment.

Again the if it sticks part is biggest factor.

Thanks for the hard work and time you've put in @ skyshadow.
Please keep us updated on any further tuning and long term adaptations.
Old 06-05-15, 06:52 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

^That brings up a good question. How far down the road should I do a new pull to confirm if the AFR alteration is not being corrected? Like I stated before, my power numbers will be different with the new parts but the AFR should still reflect the same, right? You guys really wanting a 1000 mile test or was that sarcasm?
Old 06-05-15, 09:00 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I think after 1000+ miles will confirm the longevity of the unit's tune sticking with the car and not being overrun by the factory ECM. Wish a wideband could be placed in a more legitimate location upstream so that the A/Fs are more accurate.

But seriously, thanks for all your work on this. I'm sure more will stand-up and post their experiences with the unit here soon.
Old 06-06-15, 08:48 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
^That brings up a good question. How far down the road should I do a new pull to confirm if the AFR alteration is not being corrected? Like I stated before, my power numbers will be different with the new parts but the AFR should still reflect the same, right? You guys really wanting a 1000 mile test or was that sarcasm?
I'd say at least 800 miles, as my experience with VR Tuned this is where power seems to fade.

Quick Reply: Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test